I took up the offer and here are my notes on the experience.
I am very happy with the BrightBox.
- Very well put together piece of kit.
- My wife's vista laptop had no trouble connecting to it.
- Signal is better my HTC Desire connects over the whole house with no NOT spots.
- Power brick could have done with wires coming out of the bottom, my multi way extension lead sits against the wall under the desk, it now has to be spaced away from the wall. (Minor)
- MTU maximum is 1492, I thought that we should all be using 1500 as this is the BT standard, whom Orange use for their network AFAIK. Using ping to determine the largest packet size which did not fragment (search for "MTU Ping Test") I set it to 1488.
- Can't set up a static IP Address for a device unless it is connected. Not very green or good for equipment to be fired up just to set it's IP Address. Also you can't change the device name ok for PCs but my PS3 shows up as "unknown".
- Maximum number of static addresses is 8. In our house we have 6 PCs, 3 games consoles and 3 smart phones. I like to give each a fixed IP Address so that I can get better network performance by editing the hosts file. (Static IP Address is more or less compulsary for some brands of Wireless printer, becuase of poorly written drivers).
- Can't send the logs via email (nightly).
- Can't set up remote access to the router (maybe for the best as this opens up a security risk if admin password not changed)
- Try out the USB sharing.
- Try to set up MAC Address filtering. Does it apply to all connections or just wireless. If all connections then this can be a real pain in the preverbial as it is very easy to "lock your self out" requiring a restore to defaults.
- Try to setup Multiple SSIDs This feature looks very interesting, need to investigate further. I currently have an old linksys cable router running dd-wrt to generate my "Guest" WiFi network, hopefully I should be able to retire this.
- Investigate effects of Traffic Shaping by Orange.
Well done Orange for taking note of what your customers are saying.
Line: Length 250 metres
Modem router: Orange BrightBox
IP Profile = Down 17725 kbps Up 1027 kbps
2012: Orange WBC 20Mbps Down: 20091 kbps Up: 1027 kbps
2003: Demon ADSLMax 8Mbps Down: 8128 kbps Up: 448 kbps