User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Feb-12 20:45:47
Print Post

BrightBox: Can We Believe It?

[link to this post]

Whenever I re-sync the BrightBox it always give me the same 19661 Kbps sync speed:
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)

Data Rate Information:
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 888 (Kbps.)
Downstream 19661 (Kbps.)

Defect/Failure Indication:
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 15.0 dB 4.3 dB
Line Attenuation 12.6 dB 25.5 dB
These speeds never vary unlike my other Netgear routers which sync about a varying 1.5 Meg less.

Could Orange have coded a look-up table in the router of sync speeds against attenuations, so that when you phone up complaining about the speed they can counter claim that router is reporting the correct speed for your line?

Anybody else notice this?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User glossywhite
(newbie) Sat 11-Feb-12 23:27:02
Print Post

Re: BrightBox: Can We Believe It?

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Whenever I re-sync the BrightBox it always give me the same 19661 Kbps sync speed:
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)

Data Rate Information:
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 888 (Kbps.)
Downstream 19661 (Kbps.)

Defect/Failure Indication:
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 15.0 dB 4.3 dB
Line Attenuation 12.6 dB 25.5 dB
These speeds never vary unlike my other Netgear routers which sync about a varying 1.5 Meg less.

Could Orange have coded a look-up table in the router of sync speeds against attenuations, so that when you phone up complaining about the speed they can counter claim that router is reporting the correct speed for your line?

Anybody else notice this?

Maybe they just made an excellent router, did you consider that? smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Feb-12 00:41:35
Print Post

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

No! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZymBti7700

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sun 12-Feb-12 17:38:27
Print Post

No! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZymBti7700

??
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-12 18:11:40
Print Post

Maybe that is the upper synch speed cap and your line is capable of more so you consistently achieve the same number?

No idea if Orange do that, never used them.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Feb-12 18:41:23
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

FYI: Orange don't do anything! The BB is completely run by BT.

Your hypothesis contradicts the "Actual" as in "Actual Data Rate" and, as I stated, my line is capable of less according to all other routers.

(newbie) Sun 12-Feb-12 18:57:19
Print Post

FYI: Orange don't do anything! The BB is completely run by BT.

Your hypothesis contradicts the "Actual" as in "Actual Data Rate" and, as I stated, my line is capable of less according to all other routers.

Your "other" routers could be wrong; did you consider that? Maybe Bright Box *IS* the good router that it seems to be. Keep an open mind. Bias doesn't progress you in these matters.

Edited by glossywhite (Sun 12-Feb-12 18:57:46)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Feb-12 19:39:44
Print Post

Probabilities and manufacturer experience and reputation?

Various assorted other "wrong" routers vs. One "correct" router?

Netgear, a well-known and reputable manufacturer of networking products since 1996, vs. as you stated 'Orange "Bright Box", manufactured by "Astoria Networks" (whoever they are)'?

Why are you so pro-BrightBox just cuz you are able to hack its hardware? It seems you are the one with the blinkered mind and are completely unscientific as you've shown in the past. I have no bias towards any router, but can observe those that behave realistically. As I pointed out to you previously nobody or nothing can be completely perfect!

This thread was raised as an observation on a surprising behaviour of the BrightBox; nothing more.

(newbie) Sun 12-Feb-12 20:10:48
Print Post

Probabilities and manufacturer experience and reputation?

Various assorted other "wrong" routers vs. One "correct" router?

Netgear, a well-known and reputable manufacturer of networking products since 1996, vs. as you stated 'Orange "Bright Box", manufactured by "Astoria Networks" (whoever they are)'?

Why are you so pro-BrightBox just cuz you are able to hack its hardware? It seems you are the one with the blinkered mind and are completely unscientific as you've shown in the past. I have no bias towards any router, but can observe those that behave realistically. As I pointed out to you previously nobody or nothing can be completely perfect!

This thread was raised as an observation on a surprising behaviour of the BrightBox; nothing more.

I hardly think that personal insults are the way to gain friendship or prove any kind of points. Remember, this is just a light hearted discussion, regarding technology. Attacking someone is unfriendly, and I have to be honest with you - I don't appreciate your tone, but nevertheless, I forgive you.

Remember; you know me, no more than I know you. As such, you have zero basis upon which to substantiate your comments of my being "completely unscientific" or "blinkered". I hope your inevitable remorse will allow us to carry on, and be friendly.

Don't take it so seriously!

God bless you smile

Edited by glossywhite (Sun 12-Feb-12 20:11:52)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Feb-12 20:35:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by glossywhite:
Keep an open mind. Bias doesn't progress you in these matters.
And I'll remind you of your unfortunate episode with the MTU limitation.

You showed you had no software engineering ability when you coded and published to the world something that you never tested properly. Tho' I hope you will learn.

You showed yourself not amenable and resistant to any peer review of your work.

You knew nothing about MTUs when you started; yet you rejected any advice on it.

Finally, I do not require your blessings and forgiveness. Keep faith systems out of this forum.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to