User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User glossywhite
(newbie) Sun 12-Feb-12 22:27:46
Print Post

Bright Box: "bandwidth control" not workng

[link to this post]

Hey guys.

I tried setting up, and applying, the "bandwidth control" feature, but this doesn't seem to affect the wireless AT ALL. My younger sibling uploads LOTS of photos to facebook, and I'd like to limit them to 1/2 the total bandwidth (considering they upload FULL RES jpegs, and don't even resize them, haha). Has anyone had success with this feature?

Thank you smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Feb-12 00:47:41
Print Post

Re: Bright Box: "bandwidth control" not workng

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

Dunno anything about this but from just reading, it limits only the speed, not the quantity, across the WLAN.

Just assuming you are using Wireless G and it uses effectively half speed each way, 1/2 its total bandwidth would be 1/2 * 1/2 * 54 Mbps = 13.5 Mbps.

But the Up bandwidth over the BB is only about 1 Mbps, so limiting the wireless bandwidth would have no effect on it.

Or did you mean you limited the WLAN Up bandwidth to about 0.5 Mbps? Won't that affect all users? What figure did you actually enter?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 13-Feb-12 01:07:34)

(newbie) Mon 13-Feb-12 01:09:14
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Dunno anything about this but from just reading, it limits only the speed, not the quantity, across the WLAN.

Just assuming you are using Wireless G and it uses effectively half speed each way, 1/2 its total bandwidth would be 1/2 * 1/2 * 54 Mbps = 13.5 Mbps.

But the Up bandwidth over the BB is only about 1 Mbps, so limiting the wireless bandwidth would have no effect on it.

Or did you mean you limited the WLAN Up bandwidth to about 0.5 Mbps? Won't that affect all users? What figure did you actually enter?

Here is a screenshot:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7052/6866458067_eae25a...

I want it to do what it implies, and what can be the only useful task of it - to prevent ADSL bandwidth hogging.

Thank you smile

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 13-Feb-12 01:11:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Feb-12 14:58:01
Print Post

Duh! Hadn't even noticed the Bytes blush

So, how do you know it's not taking effect? Have you monitored ADSL connection while sibling is uploading?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
(learned) Mon 13-Feb-12 15:14:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Duh! Hadn't even noticed the Bytes blush

So, how do you know it's not taking effect? Have you monitored ADSL connection while sibling is uploading?

Hi.

I did an ADSL speed test over WiFi, whilst the bandwidth was set as reduced, but it stayed at full speed... odd.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Feb-12 15:39:18
Print Post

Looks like you are right; these settings have no effect frown

Don't have any wireless PCs online at the mo', but switched on my Internet Radio. It did not even hiccup even while router was Applying changes to restrict both bandwidths to 1 KBps.

Standard User techlad
(newbie) Mon 13-Feb-12 18:46:37
Print Post

Hi there,

Try setting the QoS Module Function to "Enable" in Advanced Settings after configuring the WLAN Bandwidth - this will limit the bandwidth as configured.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Feb-12 19:09:05
Print Post

[re: techlad] [link to this post]

Well, that seems to do something to my Internet Radio, which I presume is trying to d/load at at least 8 KBps.

After setting bandwidth limit to 1 KBps and after about a min delay of enabling QoS it starts stuttering badly and going haywire.

Whereas with a bandwidth limit of 16 KBps, radio plays perfectly.

Not obvious is it?

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 13-Feb-12 19:11:26)

(learned) Mon 13-Feb-12 21:33:15
Print Post

[re: techlad] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by techlad:
Hi there,

Try setting the QoS Module Function to "Enable" in Advanced Settings after configuring the WLAN Bandwidth - this will limit the bandwidth as configured.

Thank you my friend. I'll try that. It seems the functionality is there, certainly, but not obvious.
  Print Thread

Jump to