User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User melb
(newbie) Fri 24-Feb-12 21:32:07
Print Post

Orange 2nd ( VOIP) line Questions

[link to this post]

Can anyone help with these questions about the 2nd line?

I've got the Broadband package that includes free calls over the 2nd ( VOIP ) line, and, surprise, surprise, it works absolutely fine. However, I've just had my faith destablised by Orange - they say in an email "keep using the line, or else we'll cut-off and NOT offer a reconnection", and, additionally, I see that the VOIP feature does not exist on any current offerings - the BrightBox does not support it. Furthermore, as I understand it, if my LiveBox fails, then the replacement is a BrightBox and VOIP no more.

So, should I give up now on Orange's VOIP? It looks as if Orange UK is going a completely different direction to Orange France who have LiveBox 2 ( not the 1.2 that came out in the UK ) and 90% of their customers in France have a VOIP line!

Incidentally, does anyone know about how, technically, Orange currently does its VOIP? Does it still have LLU kit in the BT exchanges or does it use BT Wholesale's IP Exchange? Reason is that if Orange is pulling out, it maybe a good idea to use another company that is already on the supposedly good IP Exchange service!

Overall, it looks as if I'm being eased out of the Orange world - their VOIP product really was the only USP they had!

Thanks if you can help.

Mel
Standard User smurf46
(member) Fri 24-Feb-12 22:59:21
Print Post

Re: Orange 2nd ( VOIP) line Questions

[re: melb] [link to this post]

I used Orange (with second line) until August 2011, and as you say it was a good USP (and reliable). It still worked after the BTw transfer, as it connects you I understand to an Orange server, though the Livebox MAC address needed to be registered manually by Orange at the server end. My understanding was that you had to make at least one call a month to keep it running so I made sure I did so, and if you had an Orange mobile you could also (provided you set it up which I believe you could do so on the web interface) get free calls to Orange mobiles, which also allowed you to set up call forwarding (eg for unanswered landline calls) to your Orange mobile for free, with no call charge for the transferred portion of the call. I'm not aware of anyone else who allowed you to do that! Especially as I had the £15 legacy deal for landline rental, evening and weekend calls and second line with free calls, as well as broadband.

I have both a Livebox v1 and v1.2 going spare, both in good working condition. PM me if you're interested in either. However it may be this would not be of help if Orange wouldn't re-register them now to your line? (Last year I understood I would loose the 2nd line number for non-use as they were not allocating any new numbers but I was still able to register a new Livebox to an existing in use number notwithstanding, so I'm not sure whether that has now changed).

Before anyone asks the service hasn't been available to new customers for a couple of years.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Fri 24-Feb-12 23:05:49)

Standard User melb
(newbie) Sat 25-Feb-12 08:02:25
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Hi

Many thanks for the offer of the Liveboxes - I'll keep it in mind whilst I work out what to do.

I think your usage of the 2nd line was a bit more advanced than us, especially usage of the "no mobile call charges when calls are diverted to Orange mobiles" feature. I didn't use that feature. We use the 2nd line mainly for contact with non-family folk - Businesses ( Banks, Sky, Work.... ) - anyone who may ring who we probably don't what to chat with there and then. So, the number has been splattered around a bit, and, frankly, I can't remember everyone I gave it to!

Funny enough, what originated this posting was my investigation into the 2nd line as a full-on Home Business line - it really has that good a reliability and a very good sound quality. I didn't realise the changes that Orange had made in the last two years - I am happy enough just using the service as it is. But, obviously, now, expanding the usage of it would be the wrong thing to do.

So, I'm now firmly in the "what to do next" stage. I like the "2nd line" way of working - Looking at BT's offering, I might get a 2nd physical line with a 2nd broadband connection ( Line installation charge of £109 is waived !), but then that's all eggs into the BT basket, or I might try one of the business VOIP companies ( Telappliant? ) and get Virgin cable for a 2nd broadband connection - swap things around. What I do know is that it certainly will not be Vonage for VOIP - the last time I tried it, just before Orange VOIP, the sound quality was terrible.

Anyway, good to hear from you and thanks again for the Livebox offer.

Best wishes

Mel

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User smurf46
(member) Sat 25-Feb-12 08:57:51
Print Post

Glad to hear Orange are still as poor with communication as ever! I used to use second line as my "business-line" for Homeworking, very successfully. I've now had to change on a FTTC service (non-Orange) so use a Sipgate number, which I've managed to get with my same local exchange prefix as the landline. They have quite a selection, and it was free for incoming calls - quality is brilliant compared to PSTN, so much so that I've just subscribed to the call diversion add-on to the landline for £1.50pm so I can divert incoming landline calls to the VOIP as well.

You need a router that has the appropriate VOIP port to use a "normal" phone for VOIP- I found the unlocked BT business hub (2 Wire) bought on ebay worked well on an Orange or WBC service. (Though I'm now using the expensive Fritz!Box 7390 which has PABX functionality so I can time phones on/off and direct VOIP and/or landline calls to/from the various phones around the house via its DECT functionality).

EDIT:By the way I found there was no way I could configure the second line port on either Livebox to use a third party VOIP service.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Sat 25-Feb-12 09:04:19)

Standard User keithwjones
(member) Sat 25-Feb-12 10:25:15
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

I've been using the 2nd line for years and it is a good service. Does appear that it could be phased out.

Getting another Livebox is easy but getting Orange to activate the 2nd line may be difficult.

Keith
Standard User springnuts
(newbie) Sat 25-Feb-12 11:17:51
Print Post

[re: keithwjones] [link to this post]

-

Hi all - this service is most valuable - free calls to foreign landlines in about 40 countries; free calls to orange mobiles. A while ago they offered us £4 a month rental reduction to give it up - now they are looking for ways to take it away. The only downside is that the second line number is an 0845 number so it can be expensive for people to call in.

If you have it, use it smile

Springnuts.

-
Standard User melb
(newbie) Sat 25-Feb-12 11:40:19
Print Post

[re: springnuts] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by springnuts:
... The only downside is that the second line number is an 0845 number so it can be expensive for people to call in.

Hi, FYI, I have a 0116 ( Leicester ) number, so no call-in charges! I think that on the admin page an 0845 number is the default and you have to select whatever exchange you want - London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leicester... Cheers Mel
(member) Sat 25-Feb-12 11:48:26
Print Post

My line has no international calls included.

Agreed you used to be able to select something different from 0845.

Keith
Standard User melb
(newbie) Sat 25-Feb-12 12:04:10
Print Post

[re: keithwjones] [link to this post]

Keith

I'm obviously way out of date on Orange's changes - I think I've still got the free International calls, but better call someone to check!. I've never tried the "Number Change" feature because I've stayed with the 0116 number initially issued.

So, I suppose, that's now one more reason to stick with the LiveBox as is - until it eventually starts rusting....!

Mel
(member) Sat 25-Feb-12 12:11:29
Print Post

Mel

You could well have international calls, I remember there were 2 levels and I did not need international.

I only use for outgoing so never bothered about changing 0845.

Keith
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to