User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pete1970
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-12 20:41:06
Print Post

orange speed

[link to this post]

Hi. I recently had a problem with my phone line, noisy line , for about a month which was fixed last weds. During that month my bb speed took a battering down from approx 5 to approx 1.
I reconnected my old live box as cudnt get the line stats from my linksys modem.
The line stats are
Connection mode : ADSL2+
Type : Fast
Noise margin (dB) : 12.1
Attenuation (dB) : 38.5
Attainable download rate (kbps) : 2291
ADSL status : Connected [0]

Downstream Upstream
Rate (kbps) 2253 324

I was wondering do i need to do anything to get my speed to recover ie contact orange or does it happen automaticaly.

thanks
Standard User CarlBrook
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-12 21:38:35
Print Post

Re: orange speed

[re: pete1970] [link to this post]

Hi Pete,

I've got virtually an identical problem, can you change your router from ADSL2+ to "standard" ADSL (G DMT).

It made my connection a lot more stable and helped my speak a little bit.

Carl
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Mar-12 22:05:26
Print Post

If you were only connecting at 5Meg sync before with 38dB attenuation, then something was amiss - possibly with the phone wiring in the home. Have you checked what the figures are when using the test socket inside the master socket.

The target noise margin, may come down of its own accord in a few weeks if the line proves stable now, but that will probably get you back to around 4 to 5Meg. 8 to 10 Meg is more what I'd be expecting from that line.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pete1970
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-12 22:18:20
Print Post

thanks for the replies.

There are no extensions in the house,and yes have tried in the master socket.The bt eng replaced the master socket while he was here and said the new 1 had somekind of inbuilt filter he also said he had put me on a different pair as the original pair were corroded in various places. I seem to recall the last time i looked at my attenuation a couple of years ago it was in the low 40s, could a different pair account for the difference
  Print Thread

Jump to