User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CarlBrook
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-12 22:24:44
Print Post

Orange ADSL2+ & High HEC Error

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

I hope someone can help with some suggestions for what I can do, because between Orange Home Phone Support, Orange Broadband Support and BT no one seems able to willing to help me fix my problem.

I started having noise on my phone line in about October, it was intermittent at first, and over the course of a couple of months got less and less intermittent. My Orange DSL was as intermittent as my phone line when there was noise on the line.

I just though "oh it'll fix itself, it came on so it'll go away again". But it got worse and worse, to the point of no broadband and no phone line.

I did notice that it got noticeably worse when it's windy and/or raining (I live in the North West so thats 50 weeks a year then...).

I first spoke to Orange Home Phone Support in January when the noise was continual. They did a line test and sent out a BT Openreach Engineer. The BT Engineer spent about 2 hours at my house trying various different bits, and in the end he ripped out all my phone sockets and left me with a master socket behind my wardrobe in the master bedroom. Not an ideal fix, but thats another story.

He did fix the line however and it was crystal clear for four about 2 weeks. Then the noise started coming back intermittently and ditto for the broadband, not reliable, disconnecting, slow, etc.

Phone back Orange Home Phone Support explained the intermittent fault again and after a bit of persuasion I got another BT Engineer out. I explained to the Engineer the problem, and he very politely said that since there was no problem he could detect on the line he wasn't allowed to touch it. He suggested I phone Orange again and they'll sort out an Engineer and hopefully they'll be able to find the problem.

Specific Broadband Issues
I spoke to Orange Broadband Support and they suggested I turned it off then back on, check my username and password, swap microfilters, try a new router, etc. All to no avail, and I'd tried all that lot myself before hand. I mentioned I had a BT Engineer out and they suggested he fixed the problem(?).

With ADSL2+ enabled on my router I get the following statistics:
ADSL_2plus_stats
I took this screenshot from my router when it had been up for LESS than an hour! I think the HEC Errors look particularly high, but I'm no expert...

With good old ADSL this is what I get:
ADSL_G_dmt_stats
This screenshot is with the router being online for 24 hours.

I've tried three routers (a venerable Netgear DG834Gv4, a TP-Link TD-W8960N, and a DrayTek Vigor 2710), my Orange supplied LiveBox died a death about a year ago. I've tried 6 different microfilters. I only have a master socket in my house now, so no extensions or anything.

With ADSL2+ the line disconnects every few minutes or so (no upstream or downstream details, just 0). ADSL give me a far better quality connection, but it feels even slower than the suggested bandwidth suggests. In 2011 I was getting around 12mb down and about 1.5mb up on ADSL2+.

I've even been around the house and turned off every single electrical device I could find, and then flicked the fuses in the garage so only the upstairs sockets were live, and it didn't make a difference. Hm, just had a thought, I may try a UPS and turn off everything in the house, hm.

Problem in a Nutshell
- Intermittent noise on the line
-- BT came out and fixed it, but the problem came back again
-- BT came out again and can't find the problem
- ADSL2+ dropping connection
-- Much more noticeable in bad weather (wind and rain)
-- High HEC Errors
-- Drops ALOT
- ADSL better quality than ADSL2+
-- But feels a lot slower than the bandwidth offered in the statistics
-- And ADSL2+ worked great last year
- I've tried multiple microfilters, different routers, different phones, turning the power off etc

Any help anyone can give me, or if anyone can suggest a way to hopefully improve my situation I would love to hear from you. I'm pulling my hair out and seriously considering signing up with NTL/Virgin Media/whoever they're called this week who seem to push a letter through my door every week.

Thanks in advance smile

Carl
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Mar-12 22:42:24
Print Post

Re: Orange ADSL2+ & High HEC Error

[re: CarlBrook] [link to this post]

Interesting that the ADSL2+ HEC = 2^32 -7; perhaps a router display glitch?

Also interesting that Down Sync Speeds for ADSL & ADSL2+ are identical = 6656 K.

Where's the Up Time?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User CarlBrook
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-12 22:46:38
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hm, not sure about the glitch or not. Any way to find out? Any meaning to the sums?

This is the TP-Link and unfortunately it puts the uptime on a different status page:

-1 day(s) 14:33:50

Thats what it's at at the moment, thats including the 24 hours from the ADSL screenshot, and the hour from the ADSL2+ screenshot.

Edited by CarlBrook (Sat 10-Mar-12 22:47:27)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Mar-12 22:53:55
Print Post

[re: CarlBrook] [link to this post]

Reboot router to clear error counts and then keep an eye on HEC over time. Also on ES.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User CarlBrook
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-12 23:19:13
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for the assistance XRay, will reboot and get some numbers together.
  Print Thread

Jump to