User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User leenowell
(newbie) Fri 13-Apr-12 14:24:51
Print Post

Livebox needs constant rebooting - help please...

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I am hoping you would be able to help me as this issue is driving me mad....

I have an Orange livebox and it generally seems to work fine. About once every few weeks, speed seems to grind to a near halt (detected by my internet TV streaming stuttering a lot). A quick restart of the livebox seems to fix the problem. More recently, there have been a number of times (probably once a week) where there is no internet access at all. Again rebooting the livebox fixes the problem. Trouble has been that this has been happening in the day when I am at work and haven't been able to do any decent diagnostics.

Today, we had to switch the power off and when it was restored, the livebox started fine but the laptop couldn't browse the web again. So.,... having poked around a bit I have discovered the following..
1. tried 2 laptops and 2 smart phones, all connect fine to the livebox but none can access the web
2. I can access the livebox homepage(via IPAddress) fine
3. lights on the livebox are all solid except for the arrow one which was flashing and the exclamation mark one was off
4. Went into the admin screens on the livebox and internet connection was fine. I had an IPAddress, it says it had been up for around 20mins and status = "Connected" and 'You are currently: connected to the internet'
5. firmware version is v5.10.7-UK status = full

No joy troubleshooting so I hit the disconnect button on the admin screen and once it had disconnected from the web, hit connect again. As if by magic, all is well again

Anyone have any ideas please?

thanks in advance

Lee.
ISP Representative UKDoc
(isp) Mon 16-Apr-12 12:08:33
Print Post

Re: Livebox needs constant rebooting - help please...

[re: leenowell] [link to this post]

Hello leenowell,

If you haven't already reported this issue, please call on 0844 873 8586*, or call 150 free from your Orange pay monthly mobile. We’re here from 7am-11pm, every day.

This does sound like you need some help from us to fix this.

Best Regards

Gavin

* Calls from an Orange Home Phone are free. Calls from a BT landline or your second line (if you have one) cost 5.1p a minute. Calls from mobiles and other networks may vary. Calls may be monitored and recorded for training purposes.

Gavin
Orange Home Broadband

'I am here to help'
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User leenowell
(newbie) Thu 19-Apr-12 18:47:54
Print Post

Re: Livebox needs constant rebooting - help please...

[re: UKDoc] [link to this post]

Hi All,

I had the same problem again so called the help line.

I haven't needed to call the Orange technical helpline for probably near 7 years but having just spoken with them the memories flooded back - unfortunately not good ones. The first guy was rude and useless. Following a set diagnostics routine and ultimately wouldn't do anything until I did a factory reset (despite me saying that this would make the issue go away!). Anyway, did the reset and was told to run the speed test 3 times (despite now having no internet connection!!).

Anyway, called back and now spoke to someone who was much better. Reason I now had no internet connection was because you have to remove and reestablish all wireless connections - very painful but at least I now have access (hence this reply).

Having asked the second guy about the original problem (which as predicted had gone away with the restart), his theory was that the ADSL filter had not been changed recently and needed replacing because they get "blocked". Restarting the livebox "forces a clear" and it is ok for a bit. He used some analogy of a fuel filter getting blocked. Can this really be true?

thanks

Lee.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User henrydog3bones
(newbie) Thu 19-Apr-12 19:14:55
Print Post

Re: Live box needs constant rebooting - help please...

This brings back terrible memories. I was having problems for years and years with Orange's Live Box suddenly losing its connection for no reason at all and with every call to their help desk getting more and more ridiculous I decided to find a fix on my own. I went into the Admin settings in the Live Box and removed the tick from the Upnp box and I never lost a connection EVER again, from what I can see this setting detects if there is anything plug and play connected and if it isn't then it disconnects it and turns off your connection. Once I had removed the tick everything was great.

I am now with BE and I cannot praise them enough.
Standard User leenowell
(newbie) Fri 20-Apr-12 10:36:17
Print Post

[re: henrydog3bones] [link to this post]

Thanks for the tip. Did you disable uPnP or remove the entries from the list box?

thanks

Lee.
(newbie) Fri 20-Apr-12 14:02:17
Print Post

It was a long time ago now and as I am now with BE I have no way of checking but from memory I just unchecked the tick box for uPNP, clicked on OK or the equivalent, closed it down and everything was alright from that moment on. I don't think you can remove the entry from the Admin settings in the Inventel live box.
(newbie) Fri 20-Apr-12 14:15:16
Print Post

I did a quick web search and came up with this.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-N...

UPnP:

The Livebox usually has this enabled as default, if this needs to be checked, go to........

Configuration (Left of the homepage) > Advanced > UPnP > The UPnP button will say UPnP Disable or Enable.
If the UPnP button says UPnP Disable that means its enabled, and vice versa. Again, if the option is disabled you need to enable this with Orange as it can affect the Connection on your home network.

Not from the same website I got the original info from but the instructions are the same.
  Print Thread

Jump to