User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jezzas
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-12 01:07:38
Print Post

Very slow connection though all looks ok!!

[link to this post]

Hi All !

This is my first post as I have joined the forum in the hope of some advice to resolve a problem.
I have spent hours on the phone to Orange broadband tech support and every time I have to go through the same stuff, always ending in being advised to leave my router on for another 72 hours. (it's always on)

My Orange broadband is running extremely slow and has been for several weeks. I currently have a download speed of between 220k and 420k during the day which rises to around 1.5M after midnight and before about 10am.

I have a brand new BT master socket and filter. The tests were carried out using the test socket and a wired connection, although wifi speed tests on my laptops show similar results.
My exchange is Hadlow
I have checked the speed with a variety of testers and they are all giving similar results...

The BT Speedtester results vary a little but a typical result would be:
Download speed during test 0.4Mbps
DSL connection rate 7.9Mbps (down), .45Mbps (up)
IP profile for your line is 6 Mbps

I still use the Livebox which has been fine until now, and I have also tried a second Livebox that I was given with identical results.
The router details are typically:
Noise Margin 12.2
Attenuation 27
Attainable download rate 8160
7936 down, 448 up

Any help you kind folks can give me will be VERY gratefully received!!!

Many Thanks
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Apr-12 02:05:06
Print Post

Re: Very slow connection though all looks ok!!

[re: Jezzas] [link to this post]

Your router stats & IP profile are good but you are getting atrocious throughput frown.

I put that down to lots of congestion at your exchange which is only 20CN which means every ISP there is reselling BT's ADSL Max platform. I'm afraid there is nobody else to go to as there are no LLU ISPs or Virgin Cable.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Jezzas
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-12 09:07:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi XRaySpeX
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply!

Please forgive me for my 'newness' everyone, but I have always enjoyed a good and fast service (unless I have had a line or filtering problem) right up until the last few weeks when speeds have suddenly plummeted dramatically.

So- are there any other checks that can be made, another course of action I can take here, or must I move to BT to get a more reliable speed? Do you think they will be any more consistent, or does the problem lie solely in the exchange capacity?
I work in audio and rely on being able to download sizeable files fairly quickly so this is important to me.

Thanks for your help folks!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative UKDoc
(isp) Wed 18-Apr-12 09:21:55
Print Post

Hello Jezzas,

If you send your details in a Private Message, I will have this escalated. Please include your broadband land line number and an alternate contact number, and someone will call you back.

Regards

Gavin
Orange Home Broadband

'Here to help'
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User TechGuyUK
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-12 09:40:59
Print Post

[re: UKDoc] [link to this post]

I think you should consider external interferance from other devices and look at what might be turned off at night and on most of the day.

It could be external to your property - so useful to establish if neighbours have the same issue - if so, you may have to look further afield.

If it's just you, then it's most likely something in your property, close to - or connected to your telephone line. Even a CRT monitor or TV can cause exactly this problem, so look for something that has a usage pattern mathing your speed variations...
Standard User Jezzas
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-12 10:20:16
Print Post

[re: TechGuyUK] [link to this post]

Hi Gavin and TechGuyUK

Thanks for your responses! Gavin - I have sent a PM...
I have been sitting in front of my computer here since around 8.20. At that time I checked the connection speed and it was up to nearly 3mb. It's now 10.00 and the speed is down to around 450k. Nothing has changed in the house here so it is either recent exchange congestion or some new external interference, though I can't imagine what it could be as nothing has changed as far as I know. The overhead line enters the property away from anything and the router and wiring position have not changed since it all worked well. My next door neighbour has Orange BB, I will see if I can get a speed reading from her setup, that would be helpful. I have a steady connection, and if it were a line or connection problem I assume it would impact on my IP profile which seems fine.
Once again Many Thanks!
Standard User TechGuyUK
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-12 10:33:59
Print Post

Hi - Do you see your SNR vary much at the same time as the speed variations? - External interfernace would usually show up as an snr variation, which I forgot to mention before... Sorry!
Standard User Jezzas
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-12 10:38:49
Print Post

[re: TechGuyUK] [link to this post]

Thanks TechGuy

I now have the RouterStats lite program. I'll run it for a while and post the findings.

Cheers!
Standard User Jezzas
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-12 11:27:19
Print Post

Hi-

The RouterStats-Lite program shows a rock steady connection at a noise margin of 11.9 and speed of 7904.
My router page shows an attenuation of 27dB.

The BT Speedtester now repeatedly shows an HTTP 500 error or says that there is an error collecting my data and all it will show is the download speed of 336k, no IP profile etc.

I will try and run a speed test next door....

Thanks!!
Standard User TechGuyUK
(newbie) Wed 18-Apr-12 11:55:50
Print Post

Hi,

If you can leave routerstats running when the speed varies, that will be great.

If the SNR doesn't move - then it's most likely not an interferance problem and you can look elsewhere...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to