User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Cold_Side
(newbie) Tue 24-Apr-12 08:20:56
Print Post

Being continually disconnected by Orange

[link to this post]

Hello,

I have been with Orange in it's various forms (wanadoo, freeserve etc) for the past 12 years or so and have only once had problems with them in all that time. However recently my downloading activity has increased dramatically and they are continually cutting me off despite me being on an unlimited plan (which is supposedly truly unlimited).

The disconnects only occur when I am in the process of downloading large files, it never happens otherwise and seems to be worse from 3-9am where I am cut off almost every half an hour. Every single time I am cut off, a simple reboot of the modem fixes the problem...until the next time. I'm not sure why they would cut me off during off-peak hours but it never happens during peak hours. I'm 99% sure this is not a problem at my end as the modem has worked flawlessly over the past 3 years or so and there is nothing wrong with any of the hardware I use to connect to it. Besides, as I say, it never disconnects unless I'm downloading files.

I pay way too much for my broadband (£28.50 a month!) which is just ridiculous really however I've never bothered to cancel or switch as it's always been 100% reliable and so I didn't want to run the risk of getting an inferior service. However now that the service is so incredibly poor I may have to consider switching soon.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Apr-12 14:37:00
Print Post

Re: Being continually disconnected by Orange

[re: Cold_Side] [link to this post]

Doubt ISP is deliberately disconnecting you if you are able to reboot to reconnect. More likely there is noise on your line which is aggravated by high activity which, as you say, has increased recently. Noise is higher at night. Post your router stats incl. error rates if available.

If you are still on a leagcy package, as you never bothered to upgrade, you may not be on the modern unlimited package. What's it say under 'Change My Package' under Your Account at Orange?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to