User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User colin1951uk
(regular) Tue 01-May-12 11:19:29
Print Post

Any problems with Skype on Orange?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'd just like to enquire if any Skype users have problems with Orange.

I signed up for the Broadband and Anytime package yesterday in an Orange shop and just going through the small print in the contract I notice they 'prioritise voice and gaming at peak times' and I suspect voice will include Skype.

I use Skype regularly to stay in touch with family members scattered around the world so it is important to me. If Orange have a tight restriction on it I'll look elsewhere straight away.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks...Colin
Standard User samulam
(committed) Thu 03-May-12 12:53:41
Print Post

Re: Any problems with Skype on Orange?

[re: colin1951uk] [link to this post]

Hi, I am with Orange and use skype regularly to talk to my son in New Zealand. I had no problem with it at all., except that sometimes during our conversation we hear annoying noise in the background. I have yet to discover the reason for it.
Standard User Bongohonky
(newbie) Sat 05-May-12 11:49:57
Print Post

If you are in the UK and using Orange Broadband you will find all sorts of problems throwing themselves up at different times. It doesn't surprise me that you are having issues with Skype. Try logging into something like Second Life and stayting inworld for more than 3 minutes via Orange and you will be bitterly disappointed. It seems that even changing the DNS to OpenDNS or Google won't fix it. Orange broadband is possibly the worst isp in the world - but definitely in the UK - and I would advise anyone who wants to do more than send emails intermittently to avoid Orange like the plauge.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-May-12 17:06:21
Print Post

[re: Bongohonky] [link to this post]

Unfair unjustified extrapolation from your particular poor experience to the rest of the world!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User colin1951uk
(regular) Sun 06-May-12 16:52:08
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks to samulam for his comment on my concern.

I think I'll take Bongohonky's experience with a pinch of salt. I know Orange had a lot of problems with it's llu service but since they switched to BT equipment and judging from the posts made on here I can't say I notice a higher number complaints with the service than one would normaly expect from any isp.

It seems to me the major problems are dns and the routers they supply but I can get around both of those if the router isn't locked and I believe it isn't after reading through some of the details they provide on their support website.

I have a go live date for the 17th May so if I get stuck I'm sure to be back here for some advice but I'm quietly confident now that I know skype should be ok.

Cheers...Colin
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-May-12 18:58:55
Print Post

Orange DNS hasn't played up for ages.

Their latest BrightBox router is pretty good. It is locked to Orange (only the form of BB username) but you can use any generic router.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to