Hello everyone, I could really use some help here.
I switched to orange broadband in January of this year and had no issues with it until recently. (I was getting 600-700 kbps download speed - exactly what I was expecting).
About 3 weeks ago my internet connection was severely reduced to about 2Mbps (whereas previously it was ~7Mbps). Called up Orange tech support and went though the full range of tests/fixes. Tried using the test socket and ended up changing to the Orange Brightbox router (using netgear previously), both of which seemed to help temporarily.
Last Friday Orange sent someone out to replace the BT master socket faceplate and reset the IP profile (I think that's what it's called?) which seemed to do the trick until yesterday.
Where I am at currently is that my router page says I have a DL speed of 6.8Mbps but when I do speed tests/download files I get about 0.1-0.3Mbps. I have tried multiple speedtest sites from multiple machines (both windows and apple) and the results are the same. I also tried using the test socket again but this hasn't helped. I have no idea what's going on
This is from my router status page:
Broadband Type: ADSL
Broadband State: Connected
Internet State: Connected
Time Connected: 00:40:12
Downstream Rate: 6490kbps
Upstream Rate: 1156kbps
Noise Margin 6.0 dB 3.0 dB
Line Attenuation 24.3 dB 40.5 dB
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)
These reading are pretty much the same as they were on the netgear router before all the problems began.
I'm just about to give tech support another call but am hoping someone has some suggestions as to how best to fix this issue.