User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MightyMalteser
(newbie) Tue 22-May-12 09:52:36
Print Post

Incredibly slow speeds - help needed

[link to this post]

Hello everyone, I could really use some help here.

I switched to orange broadband in January of this year and had no issues with it until recently. (I was getting 600-700 kbps download speed - exactly what I was expecting).
About 3 weeks ago my internet connection was severely reduced to about 2Mbps (whereas previously it was ~7Mbps). Called up Orange tech support and went though the full range of tests/fixes. Tried using the test socket and ended up changing to the Orange Brightbox router (using netgear previously), both of which seemed to help temporarily.
Last Friday Orange sent someone out to replace the BT master socket faceplate and reset the IP profile (I think that's what it's called?) which seemed to do the trick until yesterday.

Where I am at currently is that my router page says I have a DL speed of 6.8Mbps but when I do speed tests/download files I get about 0.1-0.3Mbps. I have tried multiple speedtest sites from multiple machines (both windows and apple) and the results are the same. I also tried using the test socket again but this hasn't helped. I have no idea what's going on

This is from my router status page:
Broadband Type: ADSL
Broadband State: Connected
Internet State: Connected
Time Connected: 00:40:12
Downstream Rate: 6490kbps
Upstream Rate: 1156kbps

(up/down)
Noise Margin 6.0 dB 3.0 dB
Line Attenuation 24.3 dB 40.5 dB

(configured/crrent)
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)

These reading are pretty much the same as they were on the netgear router before all the problems began.

I'm just about to give tech support another call but am hoping someone has some suggestions as to how best to fix this issue.

Thanks
Mal
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-May-12 00:56:02
Print Post

Re: Incredibly slow speeds - help needed

[re: MightyMalteser] [link to this post]

Post results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User MightyMalteser
(newbie) Fri 01-Jun-12 17:23:23
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply - shortly after I posted the original message it seemed to have sorted itself out so I kinda forgot about this post.

Until yesterday when it returned to very slow speeds for no apparent reason (we hadn't changed anything).

Result from speedtester.bt.com was test error - screenshot: http://imgur.com/K95Og
which is what I've always got from that site.
Result from thinkbroadband speedtest was 0.18Mbps - screenshot: http://imgur.com/uUEMg
(that's after trying the netgear router again - on the brightbox it was consistently at 0.06Mbps yesterday and earlier today)

I gave orange another call but they said it couldn't be raised to the fault managers team unless I tried putting it back in the test socket for 72 hours.

This is really driving myself and my family crazy as we all require frequent use of the internet and this is making that incredibly frustrating.

Any advice would still be greatly appreciated.

Malcolm

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User paulgee31
(newbie) Wed 06-Jun-12 19:32:39
Print Post

[re: MightyMalteser] [link to this post]

I'm also in the 72 hours in the test socket phase. I've been stuck at 2Mbps IP Profile for a week now since they repaired a fault on the line and yet they refuse to escalate the problem.

I had this issue about 2 months ago and managed to find the one operator that said, no problem I'll reset the profile on your line and that should cure it. Which it did...

Data Rate Information:
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 448 (Kbps.)
Downstream 8128 (Kbps.)
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 25.0 dB 10.2 dB
Line Attenuation 11.0 dB 17.5 dB
  Print Thread

Jump to