User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User james38
(newbie) Mon 18-Jun-12 16:01:03
Print Post

very slow connection

[link to this post]

Having problems with my orange broadband ultra-package up to 20mb using the livebox . Since moving home 2 yrs ago i have had to get orange to get bt out to my house as the phones and broadband kept messing up. On both occasions it was faulty wires in the box on my road i asked if bt would replace them and the engineer said no because you have service even if it is slow? Now itís beyond the joke dial up is faster than this and my mobile connection is. I have reported it to orange but have got the same old have you changed your microfilter/plugged in to master socket questions. Below are my test results from a period of time most of the time i have about a 1mb connection but then it drops to nothing especially when we have heavy rain or snow which makes me think the underground wires and junction box are getting wet? I am 2.5 miles from the exchange and the junction box that gives problems is just around the corner from my house. Any suggestions please? I am thinking of swapping over to bt infinity as they would need to fix or replace the wires to give me a good connection then. Oh the bt guy told me last time that I have 2 pairs into my home 4 wires and 2 where no good thatís why it messed up last time he swapped pairs to get me up and running again. sorry for the big post but i have tried to put in as much info as possible.

app data removed as it was no use

Edited by james38 (Mon 18-Jun-12 18:44:11)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jun-12 16:14:56
Print Post

Re: very slow connection

[re: james38] [link to this post]

Post your router stats. That's the place to start if it's a wiring issue and might explain the speeds you are getting. Speedtests are a secondary consideration.

I should hide your External IP from prying others if I were you; tho' it's changing frequently that it might not matter.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Mon 18-Jun-12 16:31:42
Print Post

There seems to be something dodgy with your network setup inside your house.

You should never do speedtest/latency tests whilst connected through wifi/wireless. and for some reason you have test results from mobile broadband mixed in aswell.

So your test results are null and void, as they dont tell the trueth.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User james38
(newbie) Mon 18-Jun-12 16:55:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I know the results have mobile data in and i know the results from a wired connection will be slightly higher than wifi its just the speed test app keeps track of my tests and i have done tests at the same time via a wired connection and got similar results i only test it when my wired pc can't load pages here is my latest test just done now on a wired connection

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1...

and here is the info from the livebox

ADSL firmware version : A2pBT009c1.d17d
Connection mode : ADSL2
Type : Fast
Noise margin (dB) : 15.3
Attenuation (dB) : 55.0
Attainable download rate (kbps) : 1340
ADSL status : Connected [0]

Downstream Upstream
Rate (kbps) 1321 948

WAN IP address : 2.29.58.xxx
Gateway : 213.1.113.131
Primary DNS server : 193.36.79.100
Secondary DNS server : 193.36.79.101

Internet protocol : pppoa
Encapsulation : VC-Mux
VP : 0
VC : 38
Broadband Username : xxxxxx.orangehome.co.uk@fs [9]
Mode : Permanent [1--1]

Thanks for any help
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Mon 18-Jun-12 17:54:15
Print Post

I'm sorry, but those results/app data is useless.

If you read through the details, the information it's recorded seems wrong.

Example, if you look at the data it recorded on the 8th March 2012. It's some how recorded 2 different speedtests, one connected through wifi, and the other connected through mobile broadband. but apparently according to your results, the mobile broadband and the home wifi had exactly the same external IP Address.

Another example, if you check your location, some tests are done from cherrycroft, and some tests are done when your by the motorway/bypass.

So based on the incorrect data from your mobilephone app, and the router stats.
The absolute maximum download speed you'l get is 3Mb, only if your line and home network setup is at optimum levels which it isnt on wifi. But according to the data, it's saying either the router is being repeatedly turned on and off, or it's losing connection.

Need to establish if someone is turning the router on and off multiple times a day, or is the connection dropping. If it's dropping then the exchange is turning the SNR up to try and stop it from dropping the connection, which is detuning your speed.

Standard User james38
(newbie) Mon 18-Jun-12 18:30:55
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

I know there is wifi and mobile broadband results as i tested using wifi then switched to mobile data to see the difference i also know the location changes because the app uses gps and we all know this is flakey indoors at pinpointing where you are and As for turning the livebox off yes i turn it off everytime the connection gets so slow it no longer works. I also know that by turning it off the line will think its faulty and slow the connection down but i have no other option when it lags out to 0.02kbs and wont even load a page and as i have said before i use the app just to see whats going on when the net lags out i know the results will not be accurate no results will be my last test just still says the same as it did before using the thinkbroadband test.

My mistake wannapoo that indeed is my ip address i thought it was the server running the tests because like you i spotted the mobile connection had the same ip no idea why that is so yes the app is cack.But it still dont get to the bottom of it lagging out to nothing?

Edited by james38 (Mon 18-Jun-12 18:46:12)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jun-12 19:08:07
Print Post

Re: very slow connection - EDITED

In reply to a post by james38:
i turn it off everytime the connection gets so slow
You've no idea if the connection gets slow w/out checking the router stats.

Rather than switching it off, better to monitor the stats, rather than relying on useless speedtest results.

EDIT: Frequent switching off makes the system think you're unstable and it ups your NM and reduces your speed. Problem solved wink.

Your line is capable of nearly 4 Meg @ 6db NM on ADSL2.

But your NM is currently too high at 15dB which is worth at least 1.5 Meg of Sync.

Now it may be Orange that is holding NM at that level, as they have a habit of, and you will have to ask them, with difficulty, to reduce it.

Or it may be just cuz you have a noisy line.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 18-Jun-12 19:11:25)

Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Mon 18-Jun-12 19:18:08
Print Post

James,

The lag your describing where the webpages wont respond, can be down to using your wifi. I know the data is wrong in your results, but if you look at the latency on the left of the server names. You'l see your ping times are almost 4000ms, if you were to test your ping times using the wired connection, you should see it well under 100ms on pingtest.net.

This would indicate a problem with your wireless network, and there may have been nothing wrong with your broadband connection. But because you have been unplugging and turning off multiple times a day, it's probably triggered the detuning of your line.

All I can say is use the wired connection for the tests, dont turn off the router for 2 weeks solid to see if it will settle back down on its own. Monitor the noise margin to make sure it's stable. hopefully if the noise margin is stable and not shooting up and down, it will comedown on it's own and the speed will increase.

If it isn't stable, then more investigations needs to be done

Standard User james38
(newbie) Mon 18-Jun-12 20:05:03
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the help as i keep saying i am not using wifi i am using a wired network to everything i can be on my pc wired and it slows right down to a crawl that much nothing loads so i run a speedtest online on my pc and its less than a meg i can be watching youtube and bbci player on my tv again wired and it lags out and stops i posted the wifi results as they where stored in the app i know switching it off on can make it think theres a fault thats why i try and leave it on how can i check the stats without running a speedtest? when i log into the livebox the data is the same as when it first connected isint it? it must also re connect itself now and then because its only been connected today for 6 hours now and no ones been in to turn it off.sorry if i am missing something and thanks again for all the info so far.so i need to keep an eye on the noise margin on the livebox ? the lower the better?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Jun-12 21:14:15
Print Post

Re: very slow connection - EDITED

Your explanation of the speedtests being held as Wi-Fi by some app doesn't hold water, but, never mind. your speedtests are pointless.Speedtests don't provide stats; the router does.
In reply to a post by james38:
how can i check the stats without running a speedtest? when i log into the livebox the data is the same as when it first connected isint it?
Is it? That's what we need to find out! How do Sync Speed and NM vary over time?

NM should be lowish, say 3 or 6 dB, but more importantly it should not vary too much, say no more than 2dB reduction at night,

There's no reason for router to reconnect unless line is unstable, EDIT: or the system is trying to improve your speed/stability..

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 18-Jun-12 21:49:31)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to