User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodulike
(newbie) Fri 22-Jun-12 00:26:31
Print Post

Sync Speed

[link to this post]

I am trying to help my parents with their broadband speed. They have a Livebox.They should be able to get about 5mb, but they are only getting 1.95mb on speedtests.
I'm not there now, so I don't have full details, but the the livebox is saying that we have an attainable download speed of 7872 (if in the test socket) but the downstream rate is only 2272. If I use the front of the master socket I get an attainable speed of 6780, downstream rate still 2272, and if I use the extension run from the front of the socket, as they usually run it, the attainable speed goes down to 5700-6200 and the downstream is still always 2272.

I have spoken to orange technical support, but we have just been going round in circles, so wondered if anyone on here would be able to help?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Jun-12 02:16:48
Print Post

Fixed 2 Meg Sync Speed

[re: woodulike] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by woodulike:
the downstream is still always 2272.
That's cuz it is fixed.

I'd say Orange have left you parents on an old fixed speed 2 Mbps service. Is the speed up 288Kbps by any chance?

How long have they been with Orange? If ages, they may need to take out a new contract to get unfixed.

What is their down attenuation (from test socket)? What exchange?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User woodulike
(newbie) Fri 22-Jun-12 21:46:19
Print Post

Re: Fixed 2 Meg Sync Speed

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, the upspeed is 288 and they have been with orange for quite a while, but apparently that isn't the issue.
I have called orange and explained that it is fixed, and now I have told them they tell me the account shows that. Seems strange that after more than an hour on the phone they couldn't have told me this straight away instead of running speed tests, checking the line etc.
They have now explained that because they are using the free broadband that Orange offer to their mobile phone customers the account is limited to 2mb.

Interestingly, their attenuation is 42db, noise margin is 23.3db and they could have 7648. My own connection is attenuation 30db, SNR margin is 6.5db and I I'm connected at 4014.

Thanks again for your help, at least we know why it is slow now, they'll have to pay if they want it quicker!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jun-12 22:29:16
Print Post

With a 30dB attenuation and 6dB SNRM you should synching at anything between about 7M and 16M.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Jun-12 23:29:09
Print Post

That explains that! They will have to pay £s to get more.

They could get 7.2 Meg on ADSL2+ if their exchange supports it.

You are not doing so good yourself. You should be getting 15 Meg on ADSL2+ or even 8 Meg on ADSL1.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User woodulike
(newbie) Sat 23-Jun-12 00:55:03
Print Post

I have tried to get my speed better, had engineers vists in the past, but am just told that 4meg is a good speed for where I am. I get very erratic speed test results, some times as high as 10meg, or as low as 2meg, but trying to get someone on the other end of a phone to think there is a problem is nearly impossible.
The only thing I have been told by a bt engineer is that we have aluminum cable in the line somewhere, and that slows things down, our whole estate seems to have slow speeds. We are an ADSL2+ exchange, but it didn't help here when we changed.
We have just had FTTC enabled at our exchange this month, I'm going to try that as soon as I can get it, should be quick enough then.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jun-12 00:59:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodulike:
I get very erratic speed test results, some times as high as 10meg
Then you are not connected at 4 Meg!

Standard User woodulike
(newbie) Sat 23-Jun-12 08:08:18
Print Post

I am looking on the router, at the sync speed, which gets up to 4.1, never higher. If I run a speed test here on the thinkbroad site, or the bbc iplayer test, it is always around 3.2-3.3mb, but if I use speedtest.net, or the talktalk site, it is very uneven, starting slowly, often around 2mb, and then spiking up, often upto 5 or 6, and sometimes over 10. I have just accepted it as the way our connection is, mostly it is ok, an engineer visit says it is all ok. Sometimes it goes very slow and I power-cycle the router and it works again, I'm just hoping FTTC will give us a stable line.
Standard User woodulike
(newbie) Sat 23-Jun-12 08:37:03
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

That would be nice, if I could get 10meg I wouldn't be looking for FTTC
Standard User woodulike
(newbie) Sat 23-Jun-12 20:59:18
Print Post

Interesting update on my speed tests. I have changed my internet security from Kaspersky to ESET today as I have found the Kaspersky too intrusive. My speedtests are now running normally, I am getting 3.2/3.3 every time.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to