User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ab221
(newbie) Tue 03-Jul-12 20:38:27
Print Post

Stuck IP profile after sudden loss of signal

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

(Please bear with, there's alot to explain lol)

I've been with Orange since 2006 on the old Homemax 8meg package, in February this year however I upgraded to 20meg Home Select so I could cater for the increase in computers in our house and to get the new Brightbox as it seemed to promise alot compared with the Jivebox and was billed as a turning point for Orange and it's broadband services.

My Brightbox router stats:
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)

Upstream 1040 (Kbps.)
Downstream 4973 (Kbps.)

Noise Margin Up/Down 4.7 dB 8.4 dB
Line Attenuation Up/Down 17.2 dB 35.0 dB

Output Power 12.2 dBm 20.3 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction NA NA
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 52016 13
Fast Path CRC Error NA NA
Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 12
Loss of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR NA NA
Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 8
Error Seconds 0 6

Since upgrading I was syncing with the exchange at around 12588 kbps downstream and happily achieving 11meg throughput speeds with 3.5db downstream noise margin. The connection was stable from February 2012 to round about the beginning of June when the connection without warning suddenly disconnected for no apparent reason and left the broadband light flashing. It reconnected eventually but at a pitiful 4300 kbps and a 2meg IP profile (compared to before, I don't wish to offend any long liners out there!) and with a an extremely high downstream noise margin of 17.8db! Needless to say I checked the BT status pages (as I'm 21CN non-LLU) and kept checking for the next few hours but no errors with my exchange appeared.

I am able to connect to the internet but with a very high error rate which causes websites to load more slowly or not at all. The noise margin fluctuates between 4.9db to as high as 17.8db as mentioned previously.

I left the router switched off over night and the next day when I switched it back on the sync was restored and all was well again.....for about 3 hours and then it dropped again resyncing at around 4700 kbps this time.

Over the last 2 weeks the line has kept dropping and resyncing at various different speeds but never above 5000 kbps.

I have contacted Orange 4 times now regarding this problem and I don't think I need to say how well that went. First email support told me that 2meg speeds were the most I was likely to get in my area - OK please explain why I was getting 11.5meg speeds previous to this problem. 2nd email said there could be a fault with the line but I'd need to contact phone support to know for sure. 3rd was a phone call to them and they told me to try the usual, change ADSL filters, cables etc, try wired connection, they then suggested my wireless channel was causing the issue so changed it back to channel 9 from channel 11, it's been on channel 11 from the day I installed it with no issues. Oddly though it did allow me to connect to the internet again but dropped off about an hour later. 4th time was via email again with a long rant then Orange admitted they had limited means of diagnostic there and I would need to contact phone support again. Orange support is not at all helpful, they seem all too happy to sign you up and bribe you to stay with lower prices but actually helping you with any problems doesn't seem to be in their business model - customer since 2006 so had a fair few dealings, why am I still with them I often wonder?

Currently I have stayed connected with the exchange for around 8 days now but the noise margin is all over the place, thankfully not going below 5db though. It would now seem as though my IP profile is stuck? Or does it take longer to change back? Could it be the fluctuating noise margin is my issue and what could cause that after a long period of stability previous to this problem?

Can anybody offer any advice as to the cause of this problem. I appreciate all help in advance.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Jul-12 22:15:51
Print Post

IS IT a Stuck IP profile after sudden loss of signal?

[re: Ab221] [link to this post]

What is your IPP now? Has it stayed at 2 Meg since the problem began? Always post IPP at same time as you post stats.

I don't think your IPP is the main issue but the low and variable Sync. You should be getting the 12 Meg you got before. IPP depends on Sync not t'other way round.

Are you plugging into test socket behind faceplate? Removed ring wire?

It does look as tho' you have a fault on your line as Orange once admitted.

How on earth can wireless affect the speed of a router cable connected to exchange? Orange then were talking a load of bs frown.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Ab221
(newbie) Wed 04-Jul-12 19:21:58
Print Post

Re: IS IT a Stuck IP profile after sudden loss of signal?

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Ahh sorry I may have been a bit hasty in typing it up! My IP profile info at the time of my original post was:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.11 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 4.39 Mbps

My IP profile today is:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.13 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 4.39 Mbps

Present router stats as of 04/07/12 19:15 are:

Sync
Upstream 1040 (Kbps.)
Downstream 4973 (Kbps.)

Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)

Noise Margin Up/Down 4.7 dB 7.9 dB
Line Attenuation Up/Down 17.2 dB 35.0 dB

It has been stuck here for the last 9 days. The BT speed test says there isn't an issue but then I guess there wouldn't be if my throughput speed is hitting the desired mark. My throughput speeds do vary from 2meg to 3.9meg. I have connected to the test socket, I only have 1 main socket (NTE5 type) in the house with the phone and router attached via an ADSL filter.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Ab221 (Wed 04-Jul-12 19:23:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Jul-12 23:51:12
Print Post

IT'S NOT a Stuck IP profile after sudden loss of signal?

Your IPP is not stuck! It's exactly 88.2% of Sync as it should be on WBC ADSL2+.

It's your Sync that is the only issue. It is too low for your line's capabilities, probably due to a fault on your connection. You need to get Orange to fix it as it don't look like your wiring.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Ab221
(newbie) Fri 06-Jul-12 20:31:25
Print Post

Re: IT'S NOT a Stuck IP profile after sudden loss of signal?

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for clarifying that Ray. Last night (05/07/12) the router lost the broadband signal 18 times in a row and finally settled on 9meg sync rate but with a downstream noise marge of -2.8db! Needless to say it disconnected again and then reduced to 5meg sync with 6.0db, it seems to have stablised between 6.0db and 6.5db so it seems as if it tries to increase then the line loses stability and disconnects again. IPP now at 7.15meg which is an improvement at least.. I will be phoning Orange for a 5th time tomorrow and I'll let you know how I get on......not very hopeful.
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2049172970.png[/IMG]

Edited by Ab221 (Fri 06-Jul-12 20:33:29)

ISP Representative UKDoc
(isp) Sat 07-Jul-12 06:39:53
Print Post

Hello Ab221,

Please send me your details and I will get the issue escalated for you. If you can include your broadband telephone number and a mobile I'll get someone to give you a call back.

Regards

Gavin
Orange Home Broadband

'Here to help'
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Ab221
(newbie) Sat 07-Jul-12 13:26:19
Print Post

[re: UKDoc] [link to this post]

Hi Gavin,

Sent you details as requested.

Cheers!
Standard User Ab221
(newbie) Mon 09-Jul-12 18:58:21
Print Post

Hi guys,

Thanks for Gavins speedy response, Orange escalation team phoned me on Sunday and we discussed the problem. He did not know how I was ever getting speeds above 5meg in the first place and said my exchange wasn't capable. Is this right? They can't help get the speed back to where it was which is very disappointing seeing as though I was receiving 11+meg for for quite some time (3 months) and previous to that on Homemax 8meg, 6.8meg usually until the livebox started playing up. I've checked the exchange status using Plusnet tools and everything is green as regards capacity and it's 21cn enabled since March 2011 So I'm basically stuck on an upgraded package until Feb 2013 that I'm paying extra for with no where near the speed advertised even though I was for some time. The only plus side is phone calls are included but that's about it. They were however very concerned about the number of times my router has rebooted since last Thursday (19 times now) and the high noise margin during the day. He has asked me to monitor it and he will call me in 7 days time.

A speed test on Orange website shows me capable of getting 2meg only, however once the router has been connected for about 3 weeks without disconnection it raises to 21meg - whether it will this time will remain to be seen, I know this as it happened when I first got the brightbox and I couldn't understand why Orange said 2meg but my router and speedtest.net said otherwise. The only good news to come out of the whole call was that Orange are launching fibre optic later this year with speeds upto 40meg.

Will keep you posted.

Edited by Ab221 (Mon 09-Jul-12 19:02:56)

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Jul-12 15:45:55
Print Post

Hi, Orange get the 2 Meg speed from the BT Broadband Availability Checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Teleph...

Register on the thinkbroadband speed checker http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/broadband.html

Maybe with all this rain the water has entered your line somewhere, but the speed will come back when we get a heat wave. wink

Interesting that about Orange are launching fibre optic later this year with speeds upto 40meg.cool

My Broadband Speed Test
Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Tue 10-Jul-12 17:24:27)

Standard User Ab221
(newbie) Thu 02-Aug-12 19:29:52
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Well after a few weeks after speaking with Orange tech support, the problem seems to be an ongoing cycle. My connection will generally stablise at 5meg sync speed like below:

Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Operation Mode G992.5(ADSL2+) G992.5(ADSL2+)
Data Rate Information:
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 1022 (Kbps.)
Downstream 5606 (Kbps.)
Defect/Failure Indication:
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 5.0 dB 6.1 dB
Line Attenuation 17.3 dB 35.0 dB
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.2 dBm 20.3 dBm
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 16255 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 0
Loss of Signal Defect 0 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 0
Error Seconds 0 0
Statistics:
Received Cells 215
Transmitted Cells 246

However, after about 8 days connection the speed increases to over 9meg sync and this happens (see below)

Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Operation Mode G992.5(ADSL2+) G992.5(ADSL2+)
Data Rate Information:
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 944 (Kbps.)
Downstream 9727 (Kbps.)
Defect/Failure Indication:
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 5.2 dB -1.5 dB
Line Attenuation 17.3 dB 35.0 dB
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.2 dBm 20.8 dBm
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 32462 275
Interleaved Path CRC Error 231012 462
Loss of Signal Defect 170 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 112 311
Error Seconds 2802 2582
Statistics:
Received Cells 16648760
Transmitted Cells 589632

Note the loss of signal defect!!! Gavin if your watching mate, I could do with some help please. frown I have again tried normal Orange support but they insist on clearing out my cache, trying different browsers etc.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to