User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User colic
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Jul-12 13:03:24
Print Post

Oragne "Technical Support"

[link to this post]

Well after spending 30 minuets on the phone to what is supposedly "Technical" support asking me to do pointless things that will not make any difference what so ever I am going to leave Orange.

My problem started a couple of weeks ago where we had a good few thunder storms and the power was on and off numerous times over a few days.

My router connection line speed dropped from 3264 kbps to now 1216 which is has been for the past couple of weeks. The previous 19 months the speed has been fine considering I live so far from the exchange.

I emailed my query originally and was asked to perform speed tests at different times of the day. Every single one came back with the same download speed.

Whilst on the phone I was asked to restore my router to factory settings even though I have made no changes to it, nothing changed.

Then he asked me to unscrew the phone socket and put it in the test socket and disconnect the house phone. Did this nothing change, no surprise to me.

Then as he had run out of options from his script and could not perform a line test on my line this is what he came up with!

Do some more speed tests over the next 72 hours and if the speed has increased even by 0.01 mbs then this is an improvement (these were his exact words) but if it has not improved after the 72 hours then to call back and they would try and do a line test!

Surely this is down to the connection line speed my router is reporting? I am out of contract anyway so I am just going to go with someone else. I was going to do this once my contract ran out anyway after the abysmal service they gave on my mobile phone last year.

Just wanted to have a bit of a rant smile
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Jul-12 13:16:37
Print Post

Re: Oragne "Technical Support"

[re: colic] [link to this post]

What stats does your router show for your line ? At a guess, the electrical storm caused a seriously low sync, and as a result you have been hit with a high target SNR.

How you would go about getting 'technical support' (their name, not mine) to understand this, and request the DLM reset from BT Wholesale to resolve this is another matter.

SNR target will return to the default 6, given time, but it will take many weeks to do so.

Good luck. In my opinion, the proof of a good ISP, is in the resolution of faults. I'd be giving them one more chance, and then doing the only thing you can to register your displeasure .....
'MAC please'.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Jul-12 13:42:29
Print Post

Make a written complaint and the Fault Management Team will take a hand in it. They are the only ones who can change your Target NM from their desks.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Cobra001
(committed) Sun 22-Jul-12 14:32:40
Print Post

orange technical support is provided by BT.

All broadband services were outsorced through them.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Jul-12 14:51:47
Print Post

[re: Cobra001] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Cobra001:
orange technical support is provided by BT.

All broadband services were outsorced through them.
BT do not handle Orange customer support or complaints, 61 Orange staff have been moved to BT.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/357307/orange-...

My Broadband Speed Test
Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 22-Jul-12 16:30:41
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I offer the following only because it has worked for me in the past, I don't work for an ISP.

Remove the power from your router for about 30 minutes (this allows for the session to expire on BT's BRAS which regulates sync speed and throughput profile)

Plug the router back into power and wait for it to resynch and authenticate and then run a speedtest.

You may sync a bit lower but throughput should be better and it should recover slowly.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
ISP Representative UKDoc
(isp) Sun 22-Jul-12 19:45:52
Print Post

Hello Colic,

If you want to send me your details in a Private message, I will have your issue escalated.
Please include your broadband telephone number and alternate contact number and I will get someone to call you.

Regards

Gavin
Orange Home Broadband

'Here to help'
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Jul-12 20:19:07
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E7er:
BT do not handle Orange customer support or complaints, 61 Orange staff have been moved to BT.
Then they are BT!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to