User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cuppa378
(newbie) Wed 15-Aug-12 13:11:47
Print Post

How do I get Orange to reduce my noise margin?

[link to this post]

Hi,

Like others I have been having on-off speed issues with Orange for a while. I turned my Livebox off when I went on holiday and since my return when I switched it back on my speed is about 0.24meg, down from 7 or 8. I noticed my noise margin was as high as 36db. Orange sent me a new Bright Box - the speed is the same although the noise margin is still 27.4db. Anybody know how I can get Orange to reduce my noise margin to the usual 6db? I'm pretty sure this will increase my speed.

Thanks
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Aug-12 14:12:31
Print Post

Re: How do I get Orange to reduce my noise margin?

[re: cuppa378] [link to this post]

With difficulty! They say the DLM decides the Target NM.

However, sometimes Orange do fix your Target NM. You need to somehow get in touch with their Fault Management Team to release it. Tho' I've never seen it as high as yours; maybe 15 dB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User cuppa378
(newbie) Wed 15-Aug-12 17:02:16
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Wow - it worked.

After trawling through loads of posts of people with the same problem I was expecting days of being fobbed off (We can't do anything until DLM is finished, Take 3 speed tests over 24 hours blah blah blah)

Instead I phone customer services and within a few minutes I'm talking to Steve in Tech Level 3 in Rotheram who performs a SNR reset, and tells me to wait up to 72 hours. Just 5 minutes later my router re-syncs: and the result is 14mpbs with the noise margin back at 6db. Twice the speed I had before this problem began. Unbelievable!

The initial conversation did begin with me going through to the 'I'm thinking of leaving Orange' option with customer services on Monday and saying 'I'd like to leave Orange please give me my MAC code.' By the end of that call I had a brand new Bright Box router on its way and by the end of the second call, 14 meg download speed.

My advice - if you really want Orange to pull their finger out, ignore the tech support option, go through to customer services and ask for your MAC code and tell them how fed up you are with their useless technical support when they ask why.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Xplosion
(regular) Wed 15-Aug-12 17:07:24
Print Post

Great news that you got this issue fixed but the cause of this issue is the very reason I never ever turn my router off. If I go on holiday, it stays on (that and the fridge wink).

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Aug-12 17:43:16
Print Post

Nice result! smile

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to