User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Sep-12 16:28:24
Print Post

Re: Speed question

[re: Kaytfoh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kaytfoh:
Even if that is a more modern socket than I first realised on a quick glimpse of it, there still is potential for that to be upgraded to an NTE5a...should offer better common mode noise protection than the old standard NTE5.

Maybe the old ones are better than the new ones? smile
Standard User Kaytfoh
(newbie) Wed 19-Sep-12 16:33:55
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

lol maybe the copper and in some cases aluminium lines aren't meant for broadband? tongue We could debate this stuff all day smile

Edited by Kaytfoh (Wed 19-Sep-12 16:34:19)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Sep-12 16:38:28
Print Post

lol maybe the copper and in some cases aluminium lines aren't meant for broadband? tongue We could debate this stuff all day smile

Sure - over and out.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Sep-12 17:20:31
Print Post

Even if that is a more modern socket than I first realised on a quick glimpse of it, there still is potential for that to be upgraded to an NTE5a or an SSFP which should offer better common mode noise protection than the old standard NTE5.
Where you went wrong when you first looked at it was in not realising it is hanging sideways. The top is at the right, and on the left you can see where the faceplate fits onto it.

FYI the NTE5 is the part that screws to the wall, including the part hanging down in the picture. An "NTE5" has never been a complete assembly.

An NTE5A is a single phone socket faceplate to fit to an NTE5, as opposed to SSFPs or an NTE5B. The latter being a faceplate with no socket, for use where the NTE5 is, for example, installed in a loft with no use of it for a phone being envisaged.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Kaytfoh
(learned) Wed 19-Sep-12 17:54:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Even if that is a more modern socket than I first realised on a quick glimpse of it, there still is potential for that to be upgraded to an NTE5a or an SSFP which should offer better common mode noise protection than the old standard NTE5.
Where you went wrong when you first looked at it was in not realising it is hanging sideways. The top is at the right, and on the left you can see where the faceplate fits onto it.

FYI the NTE5 is the part that screws to the wall, including the part hanging down in the picture. An "NTE5" has never been a complete assembly.

An NTE5A is a single phone socket faceplate to fit to an NTE5, as opposed to SSFPs or an NTE5B. The latter being a faceplate with no socket, for use where the NTE5 is, for example, installed in a loft with no use of it for a phone being envisaged.

Yes, I just made the mistake of quickly looking at the socket and coming to an incorrect conclusion to start with, thanks for the info. The NTE5a's are the standard Openreach branded sockets arent they? The ones that come with bell wire removed as opposed to the BT with piper man logo sockets that still have it?
Standard User beardedwonder
(newbie) Wed 19-Sep-12 18:01:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well, all that was very interesting! Just so you know I have not kept the socket like that, I only opened it to that extent to have it correctly identified and make sure there were no extension wires and only two wires in use.

I now only have removed the bottom 2/3 (held in with flat head screws), to access the test socket. Contrary to what has been said, there is very little dust, a lot less than you would find inside an RJ45 wall socket in an office, and no wildlife whatsoever!!

Moving on to what this thread was originally about: I had a call from the Orange resolution department, they performed a line test and then rang someone to remove the cap on my profile. I now have the same stats as before but with a speed of: Downstream Rate: 7291kbps

The BT speedtester also shows that my IP profile has doubled. I think I should still be getting more, but will wait as they said they would ring tomorrow.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Sep-12 18:06:41
Print Post

[re: beardedwonder] [link to this post]

If other stats are all the same, then 7291 still sounds low, and maybe they have un capped you, but not to a totally uncapped profile.

Orange support seems to prefer capped line profiles, rather than letting the DLM adjust itself.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User beardedwonder
(newbie) Wed 19-Sep-12 18:09:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If other stats are all the same, then 7291 still sounds low, and maybe they have un capped you, but not to a totally uncapped profile.

Orange support seems to prefer capped line profiles, rather than letting the DLM adjust itself.

I'll ask tomorrow when they ring me back, if they don't get back to me at least they left me with an 0800 number laugh
Standard User Kaytfoh
(learned) Wed 19-Sep-12 18:10:02
Print Post

[re: beardedwonder] [link to this post]

They will have performed an SNR reset no doubt.

You will have to monitor your line as it will take a good amount of time to settle down. If there is an underlying issue causing the line to be capped then it may very well happen again.

An SNR reset is only usually a viable option if the underlying fault has been taken care of or if some physical changes have been made to the line itself in my experience, but a lot of ISPs use it as a quick fix and get rid without taking the care to examine whats going on under the hood.

EDIT: @ Saffron

I was told recently that Orange don't do fixed profiles, its the standard TR101 ranges are banded to 160k - 24mb for WBC. Unless hes not on TR101 and on Max in which case it would probably be your standard ADSL threshold profiles in the case of that sync speed probably ADSL6500.

In looking back at the initial stats the modulation is for ADSL2+ so I would guess he's on WBC.

Edited by Kaytfoh (Wed 19-Sep-12 18:20:06)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Sep-12 18:33:35
Print Post

The NTE5a's are the standard Openreach branded sockets arent they? The ones that come with bell wire removed as opposed to the BT with piper man logo sockets that still have it?

I have a "spare" NTE5 that is very similar to the OP's (a green protective covering and A&B plus E terminals at the rear.) The front of the NTE5 has a "T" within a circle marking at top right and the single phone socket faceplate is unmarked externally.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to