User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User timpent
(newbie) Sat 13-Oct-12 13:49:31
Print Post

After stabilisation speeds...

[link to this post]

Bearing in mind these stats early into the stabilisation:

Upstream 1279 (Kbps.)
Downstream 18851 (Kbps.)
Noise Margin 6.9 dB 5.1 dB
Line Attenuation 11.8 dB 20.0 dB

what do people think of these now:

Upstream 446 (Kbps.)
Downstream 16868 (Kbps.)
Noise Margin 31.6 dB 9.1 dB
Line Attenuation 11.8 dB 20.0 dB

Why would the noise margin have increased so much on the upstream (and downstream actually) I wonder? (assuming that's a bad thing and is what's causing the low upstream speed)

Thanks

Tim

Edited by timpent (Sat 13-Oct-12 13:50:43)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 13-Oct-12 14:13:43
Print Post

Re: After stabilisation speeds...

[re: timpent] [link to this post]

Looks a little on the low side. On my 29db attenuation TalkTalk line i'm getting 18.5 meg (@ 6db SNR), so on a 20db line you should easily be getting >20 meg on 6db SNR. Perhaps use a router with same chipset as Orange dslam? (assuming no line faults or faulty wiring/equipment)

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Oct-12 14:53:34
Print Post

I think Orange has done a little manual fiddling to lock the upstream down. Normally upstream is left well alone and you have oddles of spare margin for it to be much faster.

Downstream the affect is less, how stable was the connection?

Orange while it is BT Wholesale WBC based does behave different to the other providers

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Oct-12 14:57:30
Print Post

You should be getting the about 20 Meg.
In reply to a post by timpent:
Why would the noise margin have increased so much on the upstream (and downstream actually) I wonder? (assuming that's a bad thing and is what's causing the low upstream speed)
Cuz Orange seem to forget you are on ADSL2+ and continue to cap the upstream to ADSL Max profile. There are many reports here of that happening. I had it for days 4 - 6 of my stabilization.

All you can do is wait out the 10 days and see if it improves before getting on to them.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User timpent
(newbie) Mon 15-Oct-12 12:40:54
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

We're out of the ten day period, but Orange seem to think there's a fault somewhere even though the line checks out ok, so they're sending an engineer round on Thursday. I'm not sure why they can't just put it back to how it was earlier - it certainly seemed stable! Anyway, at least I'll hopefully be able to have a sensible discussion with him...

There is definitely something a bit odd because every now an then the speed is terrible - eg. 362ms ping / 0.14Mbps / 0.01Mbps, then a few mins later I'll get 132ms / 8.0Mbps / 0.36Mbps. Mind you that's still bad considering the best I saw was 34ms / 15Mbps / 1.6Mbps

As an aside, am I right in thinking that Orange set the SNR (is that the "noise threshold" stat?) that gives a stable connection, and that then governs the speeds?

Thanks

Tim
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-12 14:47:34
Print Post

As an aside, am I right in thinking that Orange set the SNR (is that the "noise threshold" stat?) that gives a stable connection, and that then governs the speeds?
Yes, they sometimes do impose the Target NM which they shouldn't instead of leaving it to the DLM to decide, which it usually chooses 6 or 3 dB on downstream.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User timpent
(newbie) Mon 15-Oct-12 15:01:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Yes, they sometimes do impose the Target NM which they shouldn't instead of leaving it to the DLM to decide, which it usually chooses 6 or 3 dB on downstream.

Thanks XRS. Does DLM = Dynamic Line Management? Just so I can be a bit more informed when I speak to the engineer on Thursday...

Thanks
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-12 17:14:45
Print Post

Yes, DLM = Dynamic Line Management.

But doubt that eng will know anything about it. He is from Openreach who only deal with cabling and wiring, tho' he can do tests of stats over them. But DLM is run by BT Wholesale with Orange sticking their oar in occasionally.

Standard User timpent
(newbie) Mon 15-Oct-12 17:20:18
Print Post

Ok, thanks for the info...
  Print Thread

Jump to