User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User falko89
(newbie) Sun 28-Oct-12 15:22:36
Print Post

Does anyone else get throttling?

[link to this post]

I never had any issues with Orange in the past, but today I tried to download a couple of torrents, and I am getting a download speed of 0.5kbps, I mean this was at 10am on a Sat morning, I don't download torrents that often, once a month if even so its not that I am a bandwidth hog.

I ran the Glasnost test and got the following.

Is your upload traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.

Quote:
Is your download traffic rate limited?

Your ISP appears to rate limit your downloads.

Details:
Your ISP appears to rate limit your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 6162 Kbps while downloads using BitTorrent achieved up to 59 Kbps.

Your ISP appears to rate limit downloads on port 6881. In our tests, downloads on port 6881 achieved up to 6162 Kbps while downloads on port 58512 achieved up to 59 Kbps.

Does anyone else get this?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Oct-12 16:48:24
Print Post

Re: Does anyone else get throttling?

[re: falko89] [link to this post]

Pointless telling you No, as I never use torrents, but Orange does TM P2P.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Oct-12 18:58:13
Print Post

It is spelt out by Orange they manage their network, BitTorrent downloading is file sharing or peer-to-peer p2p file sharing.

Orange network management
Important services are prioritised over others that are less time-sensitive (like file sharing) at busy times when a lot of people are connected and our network gets very busy. The busy times are typically between 6pm to 11:30pm on weekdays and 5pm to 11:30pm on weekends.

Our priority is to make sure that everyone has a stable access to the internet at all times; this prioritisation improves the quality and speed of broadband for more than 95% of our customers.

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/b...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

My Broadband Speed Test
Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 28-Oct-12 19:32:36
Print Post

It's restricted whether you are a bandwidth hog or not. It's the type of traffic that's managed not how much you download.

So torrents = throttled.
Standard download via browser = not throttled.

You could only use the broadband for 1 hour a month. This traffic management would still apply.
  Print Thread

Jump to