User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Oct-12 14:14:26
Print Post

Orange Member Centre Now Shows Fibre Costs & Speed

[link to this post]

Under "Change Your Home Package":
  • 40 Meg Fibre Broadband (40 Gig Usage) and Off Peak Calls - £20.00 a month
  • Unlimited 40 Meg Fibre Broadband and Off Peak Calls - £25.00 a month
  • Unlimited 80 meg Fibre Broadband and Off Peak Calls - £30.00 a month

+ £14.00 line rental.

Your estimated fibre speed is 67.5 Meg smile

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User musicmate
(learned) Tue 30-Oct-12 15:08:09
Print Post

Re: Orange Member Centre Now Shows Fibre Costs & Speed

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Will you be going for it Ray ? tbh I think Its a bit to expensive for me personally as it is going on for almost double what I pay atm for Anytime calls Line rental & broadband any one else think the same ? mind you my Armthorpe Exchange is not fibre enabled yet so its not really an option for me as yet.

Orange Broadband & Anytime Calls.
Sync 15816 Kbps Downstream, 1224 Kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange Firmware V2.1.00.44_RG

Edited by musicmate (Tue 30-Oct-12 15:12:26)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Oct-12 15:12:02
Print Post

[re: musicmate] [link to this post]

If you are already getting the 15Meg sync in your signature than less benefit from the the FTTC products, but those with 5 Meg and slower the extra ability to stream HD or do two or more streams at once is a big boost

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User musicmate
(learned) Tue 30-Oct-12 15:16:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

yes I can see the benefit to those unlucky enough to be stuck with those slower speeds, its still a pretty hefty premium to pay tho but that is just IMO

Orange Broadband & Anytime Calls.
Sync 15816 Kbps Downstream, 1224 Kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange Firmware V2.1.00.44_RG
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Oct-12 15:19:44
Print Post

[re: musicmate] [link to this post]

No, for at least 3 reasons:
  • Don't want line & calls taken from BT (if they'd offer Fibre Only, might reconsider)
  • Getting 19-20 Meg on ADSL already
  • Expensive; 2 x what I'm paying now

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Oct-12 16:27:55
Print Post

It will be interesting to see how heavy the traffic management is on fibre for p2p and usenet. Without any firm figures (other than "slowed down"), it's a tough jump for someone interested in those protocols to sign up to it.

Oliver.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Oct-12 17:23:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
No, for at least 3 reasons:
  • Don't want line & calls taken from BT (if they'd offer Fibre Only, might reconsider)
  • Getting 19-20 Meg on ADSL already
  • Expensive; 2 x what I'm paying now
I moved my home phone from BT to Orange and have never regretted it, I am still on the BT network, itís like being with BT, but I pay orange. I get the same BT answer phone and BT caller display, no difference.

I note EE are stating only 14 Mbps speed for their basic broadband now. frown
The fibre price is three times the price I pay for 20 Mbps copper broadband. I would have to pay £10 more for fibre with 40GB data.
And the £50 connection charge is too steep itís only FTTC.

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Oct-12 18:55:37
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

I would never trust Orange to deal with and fix any voice faults. Yes, I know it's still OR that actually does the work, but getting thro' Orange support by phone is the devil's own job; they are so thick. In the past I have had all my BB issues dealt with by writing them a formal letter. I can't wait that long for voice issues.

Also Orange were unable to take on my 2 voice lines. They wanted me to take 2 bills, 1 from them and 1 from BT, and even worse, 2 call plans when a single call plan from BT covers both lines.

EDIT: Knowing Orange, they will blame any fault on their line to be caused by BT line grin

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 30-Oct-12 18:58:03)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Nov-12 19:06:15
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

At about the time you were writing that, my daughter called to say her BT phone line was dead. Later that evening I took a simple corded phone round and tested it in test socket; it was indeed dead.

When I got home I phoned 151 to report it. I spoke to no one; instead a cultured intelligible female voice led me thro' what was wrong. I reported that it could not make or receive calls and it had been tested at test socket. She tested the line for a few mins. and confirmed it was faulty. I arranged a divert msg to callers that line was faulty and to receive SMS on my line as to BT's progress.

By the time I rang off, the divert msg was in place and I could see a complete summary of the fault on the BT website with a fault located in "BT's Network".

Admittedly, fault wasn't fixed till this PM, but as it was OR doing the work, it would be same for all providers.

I challenge Orange to demonstrate that that they can log and investigate a phone fault in such a clear and simple manner w/out having to go through an unintelligible helpline that is unable to focus on the problem in hand.

Print Thread

Jump to