User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Nov-12 18:20:23
Print Post

Throttling/Traffic shaping?

[link to this post]

Usual story from me. Live in a small village with single exchange (not unbundled bar talktalk), one DSLAM and what not.

I am on Zen internet and have upgraded 3 computers to Windows 8 using the digital download mechanism. Taken approx 1hr to do the download on each machine at 8Mbps, i.e., pulled the download at the full 8Mbps.

Neighbour tried it on his orange connection (synched at 8Mbps, etc etc) and it is reporting 5 hours remaining.

Is their network at capacity or are they throttling people from actually doing useful activities? As far as I am concerned it is not a local exchange contention issue here.

Zen 8000 Pro
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Nov-12 18:28:47
Print Post

Re: Throttling/Traffic shaping?

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

If there is no WBC ADSL2+ from BT Wholesale either then probably just down to the capacity that Orange buys from BT Wholesale.

Or more accurately, the money Orange pays BT Wholesale to manage all its services mean that in older IPStream areas they buy less capacity than competitors like Zen (less as in once you divide purchased bandwidth between number of customers)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Nov-12 19:20:23
Print Post

Re: Throttling/Traffic shaping?

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Usual story from me. Live in a small village with single exchange (not unbundled bar talktalk), one DSLAM and what not.

I am on Zen internet and have upgraded 3 computers to Windows 8 using the digital download mechanism. Taken approx 1hr to do the download on each machine at 8Mbps, i.e., pulled the download at the full 8Mbps.

Neighbour tried it on his orange connection (synched at 8Mbps, etc etc) and it is reporting 5 hours remaining.

Is their network at capacity or are they throttling people from actually doing useful activities? As far as I am concerned it is not a local exchange contention issue here.
Orange do throttle BitTorrent (Peer-to-peer) P2P file sharing to lower than dial-up speed. frown

Orange EE
Important services are prioritised over others that are less time-sensitive (like file sharing) at busy times when a lot of people are connected and our network gets very busy. The busy times are typically between 6pm to 11:30pm on weekdays and 5pm to 11:30pm on weekends.

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/b...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Thu 22-Nov-12 19:27:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to