User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Decode
(newbie) Mon 26-Nov-12 21:41:07
Print Post

EE/Orange BrightBox Port Forwarding issue

[link to this post]

Hey guys, got a rather annoying problem going on with this apparently awesome shiney new router from EE tongue

I'm trying to host a Minecraft server from my PC, since the 19th until now it's been absolutely fine.
Today my connection dropped to way below half of my usual speed (27Mb to 3Mb) at least for a while.

Now it's fine, but I'm unable to host a Minecraft server, an using canyouseeme shows all the ports that I've forwarded, as unreachable.

So far I've tried restarting my PC (first thing I did)
Restarting the Router/Modem.
Factory resetting the router.
Re-doing the ports for the local IP I want them open on.
Making sure my IP was correct using cmd / ipconfig.

Nothing else has worked,

*Edit* I also have powerline adapters rated for 200Mbps, that I got while my family was on BT, so I unplugged them from the wall and plugged them back in.
I also tried moving them to different sockets, as a just incase scenario.

Apart from calling customer service, is there anything else I can do or try first?

Thanks smile
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Nov-12 10:11:29
Print Post

Re: EE/Orange BrightBox Port Forwarding issue

[re: Decode] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Decode:
Hey guys, got a rather annoying problem going on with this apparently awesome shiney new router from EE tongue

I'm trying to host a Minecraft server from my PC, since the 19th until now it's been absolutely fine.
Today my connection dropped to way below half of my usual speed (27Mb to 3Mb) at least for a while.

Now it's fine, but I'm unable to host a Minecraft server, an using canyouseeme shows all the ports that I've forwarded, as unreachable.

Nothing else has worked,

*Edit* I also have powerline adapters rated for 200Mbps, that I got while my family was on BT, so I unplugged them from the wall and plugged them back in.

Apart from calling customer service, is there anything else I can do or try first?

Thanks smile
Hi, have you configured the EE Bright Box router DHCP server with a static IP address range?
Also Windows Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties with; Use the following IP address?

Otherwise the router will not be able to find the port forwarded IP address. wink

It is very important to setup a Static IP address, if you are going to use port forwarding. When you have port forwarding setup, your router forwards ports to an ip address that you specify. This will probably work when you initially set it up, but after restarting your computer it may get a different ip address. When this happens the ports will no longer be forwarded to your computer's ip address. So the port forwarding configuration will not work.

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Nov-12 14:03:07
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E7er:
have you configured the EE Bright Box router DHCP server with a static IP address range?
Isn't it just a matter of Reserving an IP addy for a particular PC by MAC addy? This can be done either manually or reserving its current DHCP IP addy. There is no static range involved. Then there is no need to mess with PC's TCP/IP Properties.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Decode
(newbie) Tue 27-Nov-12 18:06:47
Print Post

Nothing else has worked,

Thanks smile
Hi, have you configured the EE Bright Box router DHCP server with a static IP address range?
Also Windows Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties with; Use the following IP address?

Otherwise the router will not be able to find the port forwarded IP address. wink

It is very important to setup a Static IP address, if you are going to use port forwarding. When you have port forwarding setup, your router forwards ports to an ip address that you specify. This will probably work when you initially set it up, but after restarting your computer it may get a different ip address. When this happens the ports will no longer be forwarded to your computer's ip address. So the port forwarding configuration will not work.

Thanks for the reply!
My IP is still the same, I also set the IP in the properties on the PC that I use for hosting, I've also tried to host on the PC I'm posting this reply from, but the same problem occurs.

It seems like the ports, even though they've been set in the port forwarding section, aren't actually opening up.

I just tried resetting the router/modem again about 10 minutes ago to see if it was a case of restarting, it still hasn't fixed the issue, all the ports I've tried e.g. 25565, 31100, 25100, are all blocked no matter if they're set in the port forwarding section.

Scratching my head over this one.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User techlad
(newbie) Wed 28-Nov-12 08:27:39
Print Post

Hi there,

Apart from the above, here are a few other things to check

1) Double check the port forwarding rules have been correctly setup in the Bright Box. LAN IP Address is 192.168.1.x (x being the PC you have statically set or DHCP reserved). Protocol Type is either TCP, UDP or TCP/UDP if you aren't sure exactly which you should be using (check Minecraft documentation), LAN Port/Public Port will usually be the same - i.e. 25565. "Enable" should be ticked (important). Each port entry should be on a separate line, and remove any duplicate lines for previous IP addresses you may have configured with the same ports.

2) Are you running the Minecraft server application at the same time as running the canyouseeme port check? Online port checkers usually require the forwarding application to be running before they would report that the port is open/forwarded. Also they will usually only check TCP ports and not UDP.

An alternative would be use the PFPortChecker tool from the guys at portforward.com. Unlike the web checkers, it will actually check the forwarding is working to the application. I've actually done this with the Bright Box and the 3 ports you listed above, and it reported all were open, whereas canyouseeme reported them closed as no application was running for those ports.

3) Do you have a software firewall installed that could be blocking the minecraft service? Again this might prevent incoming ports from reaching the application. Check your firewall rules that the minecraft server is allowing incoming/outgoing traffic.

4) I'm assuming your Bright Box is connected either directly to the ADSL line or if using FTTC then via the BT Openreach VDSL modem? If you have another NAT router between your Bright Box and Internet connection this could cause a lot of problems with port forwarding (double NAT usually causes havoc).

5) Are you definitely sure the ports above are correct for minecraft server? I know some applications (especially P2P apps) will randomize ports every time they are run and rely on UPnP for forwarding - i'm guessing not if this is server software, but you never know.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Nov-12 12:07:09
Print Post

Re: EE/Orange BrightBox Port Forwarding issue *DELETED*

Deleted by E7er

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by E7er (Wed 28-Nov-12 12:35:31)

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Nov-12 12:32:28
Print Post

Nothing else has worked,

Thanks smile

Thanks for the reply!
My IP is still the same, I also set the IP in the properties on the PC that I use for hosting, I've also tried to host on the PC I'm posting this reply from, but the same problem occurs.

It seems like the ports, even though they've been set in the port forwarding section, aren't actually opening up.

I just tried resetting the router/modem again about 10 minutes ago to see if it was a case of restarting, it still hasn't fixed the issue, all the ports I've tried e.g. 25565, 31100, 25100, are all blocked no matter if they're set in the port forwarding section.

Scratching my head over this one.
First get it to work with Ethernet, after then configure for wireless.
Have you read the help section in the router for DHCP, Port Forwarding, Port Triggers, Firewall? It states that only for testing purposes temporarily disable the router firewall.

Port Forward, port checking programme http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

You donít mention you have configured the router DHCP range.

Have you configured the DHCP Start IP and End IP ?

All static IP addresses must not be within the router DHCP range.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Nov-12 14:01:55
Print Post

All static IP addresses must not be within the router DHCP range.
My understanding is that Reserved IPs can be within DHCP Range,

PS: Do you have to quote every word of the past history? It makes awkward reading and conceals the wood amongst the trees.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Decode
(newbie) Thu 29-Nov-12 03:19:52
Print Post

[re: techlad] [link to this post]

I've already noted that I had tried 1, 2 is pretty moot as I've tried to connect to the server with the Minecraft host running, I've used canyouseeme both with the server.exe on and off.

The port is open on both TCP and UDP.

3) I have no firewall enabled, only the Routers.

4) It's connected via VDSL/FTTC.

5) Sure, double and triple.

The server was working, I had issues with my connection on this PC (this is seperate from the one I use for hosting) I restarted the modem/router, ever since then I've been unable to open any port, before and after another restart.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Decode
(newbie) Thu 29-Nov-12 03:28:29
Print Post

I've tried using a static IP as well as one assigned by the Router, neither has worked.
The only devices using wireless are my phone and tablet, I personally don't use wireless for anything else if it's to do with gaming, uploading etc

I've installed those programs, they all say the same thing that canyouseeme says, I'm unable to connect.

The only thing I can do is connect locally, when the port is changed in the document for minecraft_server.exe, I have to type internal IP:*port*, which works fine.

If I and others try to connect via my external IP, they're now unable to do so, this was all working until this PC (not the host) was experiencing a slow internet connection (2.9Mbps, VS wireless which gave me 33Mbps).

Once the router/modem was restarted, that's when the issues occurred.

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to