User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mig20
(newbie) Thu 07-Feb-13 17:00:48
Print Post

Any links to advanced BrightBox settings guide?

[link to this post]

Can anyone point to a good guide to the advanced settings menu on the BrightBox?

More info...
I am trying to configure QoS etc on my Brightbox and I don't think it is working right, or I have misunderstood it and configured it wrong :|
My kids hog the bandwidth when they are gaming/downloading/youtube-ing/etc and I've setup two SSIDs to restrict the total bandwidth they get but I then want to ensure that is shared equally between them (i.e. if one of them is online they 100%, two they get 50% each and all three they get 33% each)

cheers smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Feb-13 19:41:49
Print Post

Re: Any links to advanced BrightBox settings guide?

[re: mig20] [link to this post]

There's no guide other than the help pages.

Never used this but I'm guessing you need all your kids on the same SSID, separate from yours, so that they share (& compete for) the limited bandwidth you set for them. However there is no way I see for sharing this equally; they just compete for it.

Tho' I seem to remember there was a post round here that said this limited bandwidth thing didn't work, but that was with old Orange firmware.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User mig20
(newbie) Fri 08-Feb-13 08:16:33
Print Post

Re: Any links to advanced BrightBox settings guide?

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

You guess correct, and it does work as I limit them to 4 meg and that indeed is the maximum they get when running any speed checkers smile

However I'm getting one of them complaining that their gaming or downloads get squashed if another is watching YouTube or similar. I have told them that P2P stuff gets throttled in the evening and will slow to a crawl but they say it is during the day also.

So I'm trying to see if the diffserv or other settings allow me to set at least a minimum or equal share for them all. I've had a go but it seems to have made it worse that it was :/

Edited by mig20 (Fri 08-Feb-13 08:25:25)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to