User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Livebox
(newbie) Tue 19-Feb-13 17:02:27
Print Post

Unreliable broadband since december, running out of ideas

[link to this post]

We are on an up to 8meg service on a long line, which used to be 63.5dB attenuation and 5.9dB noise margin through the old livebox, and always very stable. It would sync close to an IP profile sync speed of 2848, so sometimes we would get 2.3Mbps download speed and sometimes 1.8Mbps. One evening in mid december last year our landline telephone was dead, and the router was unable to sync. By the morning the landline service had been restored, but the broadband was unreliable. I checked the stats, and the attenuation had improved to 58dB, which I did not know was possible. However the noise margin varied from 10dB to 15dB, and the sync speed was much slower, sometimes as low as 1400kbps, and randomly the internet does not work for 5 - 10 seconds, then sorts itself out. I have tried using the new brightbox we have been sent, and this has the same issue. I also tried a netgear router, same issue. I have also tried changing the adsl filter, removing the telephone, turning off all devices plugged in around the house, no effect. When the issue happens while downloading one of the thinkbroadband test files, the download stops, chrome reports "unkown network error" and in the brightbox stats, the "loss of signal defect" increases by 1, and the "error seconds" increases by 10 or so. The line says "TRAINING" and then resyncs.

This issue has been happening since later december, it makes no difference what device you use to access the internet, I have tried plug in filters in the master socket with the telephone removed, no difference. Cant see what else I can try, EE technical support just fob you iff with "restart your PC" etc until you give up in despair. Please advise what else I can try at my end so I can be sure the issue is not in the house.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Feb-13 18:07:57
Print Post

Re: Unreliable broadband since december, running out of idea

[re: Livebox] [link to this post]

Could be that some work was done on the line that reduced the loop loss (attenuation) back in December but now you may have increased noise on the line - have you tried a quiet line test using a corded phone?

Edited by 4M2 (Tue 19-Feb-13 18:08:32)

Standard User Livebox
(newbie) Tue 19-Feb-13 18:18:39
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I plugged a corded phone in and did a quiet line test, very quiet hiss, no crackling. Is it possible to bypass EE and contact BT about my problem?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Feb-13 18:24:30
Print Post

Possibly a job for Open Reach, that can only be arranged by the ISP, since you don't appear to have a voice fault frown
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Feb-13 18:33:03
Print Post

No! You have no contract with BT.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Livebox
(learned) Tue 19-Feb-13 18:46:34
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I thought as much. Is there anything else I can try at my end before contacting EE again? Im going to look like an idiot if it turn out to be something simple.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Feb-13 19:12:20
Print Post

Removing the Ring Wire?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Livebox
(learned) Tue 19-Feb-13 19:34:30
Print Post

Ring wire was removed a while ago, about 2 years ago I think, long before problems developed. I know EE have been changing their network recently, was late december around the time they did some work? I wonder if my line config was changed at the other end.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Feb-13 21:03:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Livebox:
I know EE have been changing their network recently, was late december around the time they did some work?
EE have no BB network. They resell BT Wholesale. They switched from their LLU in 1st half 2011.

Standard User Livebox
(learned) Tue 26-Feb-13 21:57:33
Print Post

Well an openreach engineer came round today, and could find no problem with the line, he checked as far as the cabinet. The line had synced at only 0.05mbps, and then improved to 2mbps, but the IP profile was stuck on the slowest one.

EE reset the IP profile after the engineer had left, and it now looks much improved, I am getting 2mbps actual download speed, although when I look through task manager at the download rate it fluctuates wildly for the first 10-15 seconds at the start of the download. The router has not reset though, which is big improvement. Im hoping the 12dB noise margin will fall after a few days of good sync speed.

They are ringing again in 48 hours, apart from the fluctuating in speed at the beginning of a download it looks like this the closest Im going to get to a solution. To be fair it is a very long line.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to