User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jamesglast
(newbie) Sun 14-Apr-13 21:29:37
Print Post

qos orange brightbox

[link to this post]

Can someone help me sort out QOS on the orange brightbox?

I have a lodger and he streams Iplayer and sky on his laptop constantly. i need to limit his bandwidth asap, he just rolled in from work and now the film i'm watching on lovefilm is unwatchable!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Apr-13 22:00:15
Print Post

Re: qos orange brightbox

[re: jamesglast] [link to this post]

Never tried it but ....

Set up a 2nd WiFi SSID and VLAN under Wireless Settings/ Channel and SSID and give it a diff password under WPA. You will need to change your original pwd of SSID1 so he can't get to it. Give him the pwd for SSID2.

Under Bandwidth Control, share out your total bandwidth between your SSID1, majority, and his SSID2, minority.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User jamesglast
(newbie) Mon 15-Apr-13 21:50:52
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Never tried it but ....

Set up a 2nd WiFi SSID and VLAN under Wireless Settings/ Channel and SSID and give it a diff password under WPA. You will need to change your original pwd of SSID1 so he can't get to it. Give him the pwd for SSID2.

Under Bandwidth Control, share out your total bandwidth between your SSID1, majority, and his SSID2, minority.

Awesome, just done this. 1 problem though, I have a repeater set up to boost the signal from first floor up to the attic where my lodger is staying, but i can only configure it for 1 ssid. i rely on the repeater myself upstairs.

would it be best to buy a cheap repeater to boost the new ssid to the attic? or buy a new repeater that can accommodate 2 ssids

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Tue 16-Apr-13 06:52:12
Print Post

Would it not be simpler to organise SSID1 and SSID2 the other way round?

Leave the lodger on SSID1, thus he does not need to be made aware of any changes directly, such as Password.

Then SSID2 would be only directly known to the owner; and allocated the greater Bandwidth etc. Also use a distinctly different SSID2 Name, difficult to associate with SSID1.

Also change the Admin Password etc - and make sure that the Bright Box is not physically accesible to the lodger, avoiding surreptious Resets etc.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Apr-13 13:53:04
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Yes, there are numerous ways to skin a cat. I chose this 1 mainly on the basis that OP does not need to change his WiFi login on his various devices. Your way has the advantage that the lodger does not need to know what's going on.

Besides, the main intention of my post was to guide OP to necessary router settings for what he wanted to achieve.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Tue 16-Apr-13 14:11:39
Print Post

Afternoon XRaySpeX

Just realised there is another advantage to my way.

That is that SSID1 needs minimal changing, so can also be returned to original settings slightly more readily and, more importantly, with greater confidence.

You clearly are correct regarding the WiFi settings on other devices belonging to the OP, but changing them will remove them from access by the lodger, hence greater security for the OP.
  Print Thread

Jump to