User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User radman_bob
(newbie) Mon 15-Apr-13 16:50:00
Print Post

Too slow for stats?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm only just figuring out all this attenuation/noise margin stuff - So sorry if I've got things a bit wrong here.

I was telling a (techie) friend of mine about my line stats and he later sent an email to me with his in, which are:

connected at 6347 / 1179
with noise margin of 4.7 / 3.2
and attenuation of 26.3 / 45.0

Is this "right"? I thought that with an attenuation of 26.3 (mine is in the mid-40s), he should be seeing a much faster speed than 6347. He is on an ADSL2+ package with Orange/EE. My head tells me he should be seeing connection speeds of 10-15Mbps, not 6Mbps.

I've asked him to check whether his Brightbox is actually connecting using ADSL or ADSL2+, and he's going to get back to me about that.

If this is particularly slow, what should/could he do to try and improve things.

Until a couple of years ago, he was a Virgin Media customer, then changed to O2 (where he got similar speeds), then moved to Orange.

Thanks for your help,

Adam.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Apr-13 17:06:48
Print Post

Re: Too slow for stats?

[re: radman_bob] [link to this post]

Attenuation figures are probably the wrong way round, i.e. a downstream attenuation of 45dB and upstream at 26.3dB.

Ideally though he should see 7200Kbps on a 45dB attenuation with a ~6dB SNRM smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Apr-13 18:12:16
Print Post

[re: radman_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by radman_bob:
connected at 6347 / 1179
with noise margin of 4.7 / 3.2
and attenuation of 26.3 / 45.0
Figues are in incorrect order. Down attn. usually 2 x Up. His Down Attn is 45dB for a speed of well over 7 Meg.

Too risky posting stats from memory; best to copy & paste verbatim.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johncrowther
(newbie) Mon 15-Apr-13 19:44:18
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I am the person in question - XRaySpeX is correct, I transcribed the speed figures the wrong way when pasting from the router status. My current status is:

Upstream 1179 (Kbps.)
Downstream 6347 (Kbps.)
Noise Margin 4.6 dB 4.2 dB
Line Attenuation 26.3 dB 45.0 dB

So, nothing to worry about.

I'm sorry for wasting everybody's time, especially radman_bob.

John.
  Print Thread

Jump to