User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User millar_keith
(newbie) Mon 22-Apr-13 11:03:58
Print Post

What are my options

[link to this post]

Im an existing orange/EE customer who has the phone and broadband package from Orange but also a mobile phone user with them as well.
I decided that Id look into upgrading my broadband package to the FTCC, and went into my local EE shop to see what the options are.
I was told that my line speed check showed a speed of some 66mb, and considering Im on about 10mb now is was pleasing information to find out.
As we talked over the packages on offer to me and how I used the broadband it was thought best to have the cheapest package which is capped at 40gig downloading per month, but I was told that I would still be able to have a speed of 66m, and as I was already an EE customer it would cost just £5 to upgrade. So we agreed on a date to have the BT engineer call 18th April, and that was all we had to do.
However 2 days before I was due to be upgraded I was looking on the EE website and started to realised that what I had been told by the EE shop and what was being shown on the EE website about my download speed did not add up. EE website showed I could get up to 34mb with a 40 gig max. I questioned this with Orange broadband customer services and was told to check my information with the shop who I signed up with and if need be give them a call while I was in the shop. My next step was to call the shop who reassured me that I would get up to 66mb even though I was on the cheapest package available.
Anyway, the day of the install to upgrade my phone line arrives and no BT engineer arrives! So phone orange who said they knew the engineer was due as it showed up on their booking systems but for some unknown reason had not been transfer over to BT, so the first available date I was given is 26th April. While I was talking to customer services I asked for further information about my line speed and what I should and should not get, I was told that because I was having the 40gig download capacity then my line speed would have a max of around 45mb, and I should go back to the EE shop who I signed up with and let them know what is going on.
I straight away phoned the shop and explained to them what had happened and what Orange and said, I was then put on hold while some discussion went on. I was then told that whoever had sold me the EE broadband had got it wrong about what my line speed should be.
Ive not even moved onto the new FTCC package yet but Im wondering if I should bother at all. I am actually wondering if I had been mis-sold as well.
Standard User vimto_girl
(regular) Mon 22-Apr-13 14:36:47
Print Post

Re: What are my options

[re: millar_keith] [link to this post]

The package also costs £10/mth more than standard broadband, not £5, so you may want to check this out asap.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Apr-13 14:42:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by millar_keith:
I was told that because I was having the 40gig download capacity then my line speed would have a max of around 45mb
If you are put on their advertised package, you will get about 38 Meg. It is still far faster than what you get now on ADSL, so it's your call whether it is worth it.

What you were told in the shop is blatantly wrong, unless they have some means of offering special unadvertised packages. That you will need to take up with the shop.

You won't have been mis-sold until you take up their offer and then find it's not what they promised. Trouble is you now know the truth of the matter wink.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 22-Apr-13 19:39:03
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
The package also costs £10/mth more than standard broadband, not £5, so you may want to check this out asap.

I've just re-checked with EE directly, and it's £15 a month + plus £14 line rental - this includes the discount given to current orange customers. So it's £29 all in.
My current package cost £15 a month + plus £14 line rental... So in effect I'm upgrading my package for the same price - the cheapest package that EE offer for Fibre BB is the same price as their dearest package for the home phone/broadband. The main difference that I can see is that the Fibre package is includes off-peak calls against all inclusive calls on the normal phone/broadband package.
Standard User vimto_girl
(regular) Mon 22-Apr-13 19:56:43
Print Post

At the end of the day, you are considering regrading your package, regardless of what you were on before.

If you only need off-peak calls, then fibre costs you £15/mth but non-fibre costs £5/mth and this is the cost comparison you need to make.

In addition, although EE may have told you 40GB is sufficient for your needs, you may want to give more information and allow other helpful users here to assess it more impartially and accurately. (If anyone in your household uses iPlayer or TV on demand/catchup, I wouldn't be confident of staying within that limit for example.)

I would decide quickly, because knowing EE, trying to cancel the order now - despite the misinformation in-store about speeds - may be easier said than done.
(newbie) Mon 22-Apr-13 20:11:03
Print Post

Thank you Vimto_Girl for your reply.
We don't use iPlayer or catch up TV, to be honest its something that does not appeal to us, but I do understand what your saying about staying within our monthly limit. I'm mainly interested in getting a fast BB speed more than anything else so I think that even though I was given wrong information from the EE shop i'm now looking at improving my line speed from about 10mb to 40mb at no extra cost - which is not too bad of a deal.
I don't think i'd be cancelling at this late stage - I just hope the BT engineer turns up this time!
Standard User vimto_girl
(regular) Mon 22-Apr-13 20:27:18
Print Post

Thanks, I understand what you say - your outgoings will remain the same.

However, I do wonder why are you turning down £120/yr free on a plate in favour of a 40Mbps connection vs 10Mbps, if you are not doing any streaming or major downloading in the first place? General internet browsing is not going to be noticeably faster.

I've always thought these kind of fibre packages are in a no-mans land, but maybe I'm missing something...

I respect your choice though, enjoy it, good luck with the installation.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Apr-13 21:09:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
However, I do wonder why are you turning down £120/yr free on a plate in favour of a 40Mbps connection vs 10Mbps, if you are not doing any streaming or major downloading in the first place? General internet browsing is not going to be noticeably faster.
Neither is it going to consume anywhere near 40GB, even with some moderate streaming. I barely hit 10GB with that type of usage, and most of that is TBB speedtests wink.

What OP is turning down tho' is the Anytime Calls. I do wonder why he has it now but can do w/out it on the new package.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(newbie) Mon 22-Apr-13 21:47:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I think its a case of using the mobile phone more in the future than using the landline during peak rate times - We have 2 mobiles with EE and never get close to the minutes allowed per month, but I think that's going to change!
Standard User vimto_girl
(regular) Mon 22-Apr-13 23:00:27
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Neither is it going to consume anywhere near 40GB, even with some moderate streaming. I barely hit 10GB with that type of usage

But: usage is proportional to bitrate.

40GB a month @ 10Mbps = less than 20 mins/day (i.e. not sufficient usage limit to accommodate a moderate amount of TV streaming)

40GB a month @ moderate summed household total of 90 mins/day TV streaming = less than 2Mbps (i.e. not sufficient bitrate to necessitate fibre in the first place for most lines)

The bitrates used for iPlayer and other catchup TV on the Sky Box are near-broadcast. 1 hour of SD every day equals about 30GB/month and 1 hour of HD about 90GB/month.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to