User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-May-13 17:04:43
Print Post

BrightBox Log Gaining 1 Hour per Day

[link to this post]

I had previously noticed, and it had been discussed here, that the times in the BrightBox log were randomly gaining an hour cumulatively.

I had assumed that this 1 hour gain occurred every time it resynced with exchange. However, I had been continuously connected for days on end and it still happened.

Upon further examination, I discovered that each 1 hour gain occurred on the daily "anniversary" of the time that it was last rebooted, e.g. I rebooted router at 16:00 on 2 May and at 16:00 on 3 May the times in the log increased by 1 hour, including the log event of the original resync yesterday.

Maybe it has something to do with falsely correcting for Daylight Saving Time every day, but I'm sure I've seen it in the winter. Let you know next Oct!

Note that is not just the times in the log subsequent to the increase event that are increased, but all the times in the log are increased by 1 hour every day at the same time as the BrightBox was originally rebooted.

However the "Time Connected: " in the top Status page is not increased and is always correct.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
ISP Representative UKDoc
(isp) Fri 03-May-13 17:14:48
Print Post

Re: BrightBox Log Gaining 1 Hour per Day

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi Xray,

Thanks for raising, I'll have it checked out.

Gavin
EE Broadband

'Here to help'
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 03-May-13 18:17:30
Print Post

[re: UKDoc] [link to this post]

From previous mentions it appears to be that the hour is gained everytime the router resyncs, suggesting there is a bug in the BST and NTP time sync handling.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-May-13 19:04:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
From previous mentions it appears to be that the hour is gained everytime the router resyncs
That was only mooted by me only previously here and if you read my OP you now see that is not the case. Stop laying red herrings about something you have no personal experience and have only read about on the Net.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Fri 03-May-13 19:24:27
Print Post

[re: UKDoc] [link to this post]

Myself and others drew attention to this in the autumn of 2012; as the jumps then were significantly larger.

I think you got involved then; and it was apparently corrected.

However, I have noticed a series of similar but smaller increments in the past two weeks - very rarely look at the SYSTEM Log, hence it possibly has been going on for longer.

I continue to be amazed and disappointed that such a seemingly simple function as keeping track of the correct time is apparently so difficult in this day and age.

Perhaps you should try to get the programmers etc to provide an explanation for publication on this forum?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 03-May-13 20:08:51
Print Post

smile

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
ISP Representative UKDoc
(isp) Sat 04-May-13 05:26:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello,

I thought it sounded familiar and it is on the defect list for the next firmware upgrade, and no, I don't have a date.

Overall the last last firmware contained quite a few items that this community requested, so any further thoughts I am quite happy to assess.

Cheers

Gavin
EE Broadband

'Here to help'
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-May-13 04:30:42
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Yes we have known for ages that this was happening but until now we never knew exactly in what circumstances.

You can even see it happening in realtime by refreshing the log at the same time as you last rebooted.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-May-13 11:16:06
Print Post

Does the log show ntp synch events?

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-May-13 17:57:57
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Funnily enough, none at last reboot or since.

But have seen them before, probably at re-syncs w/out hard reboot, none of which occurred in this session.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to