User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-May-13 15:15:02
Print Post

EE Heavily Throttles on Out-of-Area Exchanges

[link to this post]

Definitions
Orange/EE Network Area - Orange does not define this publicly but it has been gleaned
Orange/EE In-Area Traffic Management
Orange/EE Out-of-Area Traffic Management

The Truth

Orange/EE market their BB as Unlimited with just throttling of P2P & Newsgroups only during peak times.

However a member who happens to be outside the Orange/EE Network Area has found that his BBC iPlayer streaming has been consistently slowed between about 8 to 11 PM.

When initially contacted, Orange/EE insisted that only P2P was throttled. It was only after a month or two that they came up with admitting that there was a separate Traffic Management schedule for out-of-area exchanges ("Offnet" they call it) where almost everything out the ordinary is throttled during peak hours. It looks to me that they have only just invented this schedule. It has never been easy to find Traffic Management details for BB on their site; it always ends up with that for mobiles as they are so mobile-centric.

How is it possible for their support staff to be unaware of such a crucial company policy that drastically affects performance of customer connections and not point a customer to it when they are presented with the obvious symptoms?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-May-13 19:54:20
Print Post

Re: EE Heavily Throttles on Out-of-Area Exchanges

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Not sure what they define as "Offnet" since they don't actually own an LLU network anymore.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-May-13 20:15:58
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

confused I've said what in my OP. Yes, it is historically based on their old LLU network. Just follow my link and read.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-May-13 20:17:56
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Offnet probably means these days the area where they have not managed to negotiate a discount with BT Wholesale possibly in addition to the savings BT Wholesale offer already with their geographic pricing

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-May-13 20:20:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

All my hard work seems to be in vain frown

Print Thread

Jump to