User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User G60MAT
(newbie) Tue 21-May-13 14:18:18
Print Post

Freeserve Help! Need to delete old web page but no password!

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

I have recently bought a business which has an ancient freeserve web page.
www.businessname.freeserve.co.uk
The previous business owner has died and I have no way to get the passwords.

I've called about 8 or 9 times over the last week to Orange and EE but no one seems capable enough to help. I've sent various emails via web forms which only got one reply from customer-service@everythingeverywhere.co.uk who then said i need to email orange.abuse@uk.orange.com which I have now been doing for over a week with no reply.

I'm desperate to get this deleted before we relaunch the business, can anyone please help?

Edited by G60MAT (Tue 21-May-13 14:19:35)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-May-13 15:22:23
Print Post

Re: Freeserve Help! Need to delete old web page but no passw

[re: G60MAT] [link to this post]

Freeserve web pages are associated with a Freeserve, now Orange or EE, Internet connection. Users, such as myself, who joined up under Freeserve will still have a username.freeserve.co.uk user ID even for using Orange/EE BB.

Have you also inherited a BB connection with it? If so, you may be able to see the pwd in clear in the router.

Have you any access to the previous owner's Freeserve/Orange.email account? If so, you may be able to request a new pwd here: https://web.orange.co.uk/id/lostpassword.php?sid=8af... . In fact, I'm not even sure the email account is needed.

OTOH If the Internet connection has been cancelled due to the death of the owner, I doubt the web pages still exist or are accessible even if you had the pwd.

Can you reveal businessname so we can see website?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User G60MAT
(newbie) Tue 21-May-13 16:24:52
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks,website is http://www.trimsport.freeserve.co.uk/

Since my first post, I've managed to login in the associated email address and can access email via webmail, However the password or any links to change the web page evade us still!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-May-13 16:45:33
Print Post

This may be a case of having to resort to real letters.

Though assuming no-one is paying Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange/EE on the account, they should probably be happy to delete the site.

Have you given FTP access a try, though I think they used to restrict to the Freeserve IP block.

If all else fails it is get a proper domain, and make sure it is clearly promoted as the current site.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User G60MAT
(newbie) Tue 21-May-13 16:47:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've tried a quick ftp, but have no idea what to put in for user name and password etc?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-May-13 17:27:36
Print Post

At a guess try the ones used for the web mail

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User G60MAT
(newbie) Tue 21-May-13 17:39:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just tried that, no joy sadly... frown
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-May-13 01:06:11
Print Post

I have never used my Freeserve webspace, but I apparently still have it.

I FTP'ed to uploads.webspace.freeserve.net and logged in with my normal BB user ID, like trimsport.freeserve.co.uk, and my normal common BB/email pwd. It let me in and told me "You are using 0.00MB of space, and you have 15.00MB free.".

This is all confirmed in this paper: http://www.gla.ac.uk/clubs/Golf/gusgc/carnwath/websp...

I cannot find anything about the webspace on the Orange/EE site, but I'm not surprised; since EE took it over they have "lost" a lot of Orange BB info as they are so mobile-centric. Likewise I doubt the support staff even know about it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 22-May-13 01:09:10)

Standard User noz
(newbie) Tue 24-Sep-13 12:20:40
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hello all,

This is an old thread but I thought I'd let you know the answer o your original question. If you have your login name (i.e. <businessname>.freeserve.co.uk) and password then you are home and dry. The problem is that Orange will not let you access the account via broadband since the account was originally created in the days of dial-up. Therefore in order to access your account you'll have to get that old model out and blow the dust off it. Using the old Freeserve pay-as-you-go dial up number(The latest Pay As You Go (No Ties) dial-up number is: 0844 058 7000. Previously used dial-up numbers were: 0845 079 6699 and 0844 056 4000.), log in with your details above. Using an FTP client you can then delete all the existing web pages.

I know the above for certain because I had to go through the same process a few years back.

Please give it a try and let me know how you get on.

Cheers
noz
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Sep-13 13:22:09
Print Post

[re: noz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by noz:
The problem is that Orange will not let you access the account via broadband
Not true! In my post to which you are replying, I created my own webpage via FTP over my normal Orange BB. I'd never done one before but did so as a result of this thread.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to