User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User glossywhite
(member) Thu 23-May-13 03:24:14
Print Post

How to use the Bright Box on another ISP, using Chrome

[link to this post]

!!!! #### IMPORTANT - THIS ONLY WORKS ON THE NEWER, "EE" BRANDED BRIGHT BOX FIRMWARE, SO FAR, **NOT** ON THE "ORANGE" (ORIGINAL) FIRMWARE #### !!!!

!!!! #### TO UPGRADE YOUR BRIGHT BOX TO THE LATEST "EE" FIRMWARE WHICH ALLOWS THIS HACK TO PROCEED, VISIT: http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=24... !!!! ####

SORRY - HAD TO CHANGE THE WORD "de-bug-g-er" (you catch my drift!) due to forum censoring

How to set Bright Box to other ISP:

1/ Open http://192.168.1.1 in Chrome

2/ Login with: "admin" as username, and your unique Bright Box login password (underneath box)

3/ Go to "Basic Set-Up" tab

4/ At the very bottom of the page, you'll see a box - "MTU" - type in the correct value (1500 for O2 and BT, 1492 for Orange/EE)

### DO NOT PRESS SAVE SETTINGS YET! ###

5/ Press "F12" key, and Chrome's de-bug-g-er panel will appear; click "Sources" tab

6/ On the de-bug-g-er panel, click the little square at the top left of the panel, which looks like this: [|>]

7/ You will see a list of files - DOUBLE-click the one entitled: "atmpvc.htm?t=<some_numbers_here>" - this file will now open in the de-bug-g-er panel

8/ Scroll down to line "606" (line numbers are shown in the far LEFT, in grey) and SINGLE-click it - the line number will now be highlighted in dark blue,

and have an arrow pointing to the right

### NOTE - Line 606 should have this code in it ----> "return subForm(f, cPage, subFormWANADSLETHConf, 3)" ###

9/ In the router page (which should still be open), scroll to the bottom, and click "Save Settings" button

10/ The web page will go dark transparent grey, and at the top, it should say "Paused in debug-g-er"

11/ In the de-bug-g-er panel, click the "Console" tab - a white background should appear, with a tiny blue ">" at the top left

12/ Click DIRECTLY next to the little blue ">", and type as below:

#### !!!! THESE ARE EXAMPLES - DO NOT USE THESE !!!! ####

In Step #4, at the start of this document, type your MTU value for your ISP into "MTU" box (remember - DO NOT press "Save Settings" button at that point!)

setCfg("ISP_Username1","your_isp_adsl_username@your.isp") (Now press RETURN key)

setCfg("ISP_Password1","your_isp_adsl_password") (Now press RETURN key)

For BT Broadband, use these values (#### ACTUAL VALUES - YOU *CAN* USE THESE ####):

In Step #4, at the start of this document, type "1500" into "MTU" box (remember - DO NOT press "Save Settings" button at that point!)

setCfg("ISP_Username1","bthomehub@btbroadband.com") (Now press RETURN key)

setCfg("ISP_Password1","") <---- this is what you enter if your ISP has a BLANK ADSL PASSWORD (Now press RETURN key)

13/ Go back to the "Sources" tab on the de-bug-g-er panel, and on the FAR right of the panel, at the top, there is a little button that looks like the play button on a DVD player or VCR - like this: "|>" (if you hover over it with your mouse cursor, it will say "Resume script execution (f8)" )

14/ Click that button, and it will save all your ADSL settings into the Bright Box. You may now press "F12" again to close the de-bug-g-er panel.

Done

smile

Edited by glossywhite (Thu 23-May-13 14:59:59)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 23-May-13 08:16:10
Print Post

Re: How to use the Bright Box on another ISP, using Chrome

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

looks handy, can you trim those characters so it isn't a kilometre wide

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-May-13 13:07:40
Print Post

Good work!

Minor point:
In reply to a post by glossywhite:
1492 for Orange/EE
MTU = 1500 for Orange. It's the same circuit as BT. It was just that old firmware wrongly limited it to 1492.

Please trim OP.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 23-May-13 13:08:57)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Fri 24-May-13 23:37:01
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Just released - a video screencast showing how to do the above hack, for those of you who are *visual* learners, like me smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUvgALx2Ou8
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Jun-13 00:25:55
Print Post

Looks good but have you checked that such a hacked BrightBox actually connects to a non-EE ISP, in case there is code other than the form-handling code that still restricts these values?

(As once happened before if you remember wink)

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
(member) Thu 06-Jun-13 02:38:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Looks good but have you checked that such a hacked BrightBox actually connects to a non-EE ISP, in case there is code other than the form-handling code that still restricts these values?

(As once happened before if you remember wink)

Seeing as I am on Orange, that is impossible. However, should you wish to venture over to "the-scream", you'll find many other people who have it working - my tutorial is merely a transposition from the Firefox + Firebug tutorial, that's all.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Jun-13 12:11:58
Print Post

should you wish to venture over to "the-scream", you'll find many other people who have it working
Good! Then you have Proof of Concept by others checking it out for you on other ISPs.

I can't fathom out the Scream posts as you all seem to cover many topics under 1 enormous thread.

(member) Thu 06-Jun-13 16:06:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
should you wish to venture over to "the-scream", you'll find many other people who have it working
Good! Then you have Proof of Concept by others checking it out for you on other ISPs.

I can't fathom out the Scream posts as you all seem to cover many topics under 1 enormous thread.

Super smile

It must be as confusing for you to work out, as it is for me to understand why ThinkBroadband has such an ugly, antiquated thread view and no features at all tongue
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Jun-13 19:52:01
Print Post

Well if you want a discussion board slanging match, I know which I prefer. I Scream when I go there.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Print Thread

Jump to