User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Hunter1234
(newbie) Mon 10-Jun-13 13:52:01
Print Post

EE Ping spikes and cuts out

[link to this post]

Hi a few weeks ago there wasn't any major issue, now we can't have two computers running on the network at the same time. If we do neither computer gets any connection. I have connected to both internet sockets in my house (figured out i get 1Mbps faster on the downstairs connection (which was a surprise)) but the downstairs connection has a much larger count of error seconds since resetting the router. Currently in 1h 18mins at the near indicator i've got 313 and far indicator 12. Information is below:

Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Fast Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)
Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 1127 (Kbps.)
Downstream 7403 (Kbps.)
Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 5.8 dB 11.6 dB
Line Attenuation 19.0 dB 37.0 dB
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.5 dBm 0.0 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction NA NA
Fast Path CRC Error 330 18
Interleaved Path CRC Error NA NA
Loss of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR 487 13
Interleaved Path HEC Error NA NA
Error Seconds 313 12
Statistics
Received Cells 2169498
Transmitted Cells 344534

Now I've also tried PingPlotter (freeware) to get an idea of where the issue might be... with one computer on the network everything says ok, though there are spikes to 300ms ping on the 3rd hop (but overall average of 23ms), when two computers are on the network, not necessarily doing much the second and all subsequent hops will average 1000ms ping. It seems weird that i can get a full 6Mbps on one computer and then it not be able to deal with two computers... If i also do a speed test online, the ping is normal and the download is normal, but once it tests the upload the ping on PingPlotter spikes to around 2000ms ping...

Any help would be appreciated... We're thinking of moving to BT if this can't be sorted soon. We're paying about the same for less speed and more hassle atm...

Cheers
Standard User Hunter1234
(newbie) Fri 28-Jun-13 21:41:20
Print Post

Re: EE Ping spikes and cuts out

[re: Hunter1234] [link to this post]

Ok so since EE has done a line test and spent what 3 hours on the phone to them, they said there was a fault with the line and it was our end... Ok so they sent a BT engineer out and he said there's nothing wrong with the line "it's in fact faster and a better quality line than the one i have at home" now that's ok, we discuss what could be the issue and he says there's nothing wrong with anything between us and the exchange (in fact he upgraded my socket on the wall for free just in case it was that), so the only problem can be on the EE end. There's no point in calling again because all they do is go through a list of what could be wrong not actually find the problem. Or they say oh there's a problem with the line when there isn't... or oh we'll try something and from my perspective it's lies. If they saw my stats on my router from the past couple of days they'd see that i accumulated over 25000 error seconds, 30000 Fast Path CRC Error, and another 24000 Fast Path HEC Error STR in 3 days and 6 hours...

When the customer service is so unbearably rubbish you might wonder why we're still with them?! I'm asking the same question, but i'm going on holiday in 2 weeks and currently revising for exams I can't be bothered with the hassle i'll make do without it for two weeks and change when i get back from holiday. The fact that it might force my brother and his girlfriend to move out earlier than planned is absurd because the speeds, connection and service are atrocious, but why do we have to tie ourselves in to another company for another 12 to 18 months when the service we are paying for should be being supplied.

If anyone else is thinking of moving to EE don't bother, move to a company that has better service and especially takes the time to figure out what a problem is without having to go through miles oh troubleshooting... (even if you pay a couple of pounds a month more!!)

The first guy i called hung up on me because all i said was i know what i'm talking about, he wouldn't let me explain what i'd tested so that he could cut out a chunk of troubleshooting (i'd been on this forum checking what the problem could be!!) (my dad was in the background and couldn't believe he did that) I then called the thinking of leaving EE call centre before they actually took me seriously, actually got a nice guy, explained everything what i'd tried and the fact i was hung up on, but then was put through to another guy to troubleshoot everything and just gritted my teeth as more and more money was spent on a call i shouldn't have to make, must have been an hour later he said ok we've tested the line and there's a fault on your end, if there's still a fault in 48hours we can put a request through to the exchange to send an engineer out... i couldn't believe they couldn't send a request, and that it had to be 48hours after the call... so i thought ok maybe they'll sort the problem before the engineer has to come out, the engineer comes tests and there's nothing wrong... in fact on that day that was probably the best service we'd had for a little while, but it didn't last, a couple of days later it was back to the same old poor quality, (they might have been trying to tweek settings but now it's almost impossible to load a webpage without it pausing midway through loading). When they called to see if the problem was still there i gave up. The service has been atrocious we'll be moving to BT or Sky probably in the near future (that's if the issue doesn't magically disappear in the mean time (which i very much doubt)) Only wish we could get fibre where we are!!
Standard User beardedwonder
(regular) Fri 28-Jun-13 23:48:50
Print Post

It is normal to get a certain number of errors. I have just had my connection sorted out, after the 3rd engineer visit. In 8 hours I've had 2474 CRC errors, 2071 HEC, and 477 error seconds. I don't know what the acceptable amount of these errors is per hour though.

It is a pain trying to sort these problems out, I have found that resolving them depends on the Openreach engineer you get. Some of them really know what they are doing and are happy to explain what's going on and really try to find and fix any and all faults, others however, find one fault, fix it and disappear.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Hunter1234
(newbie) Sat 29-Jun-13 00:40:39
Print Post

[re: beardedwonder] [link to this post]

the acceptable number of error seconds (from the BT engineer) is under 10 error seconds in 5 minutes, anything over that and he would have to find where the fault is, i think i got 3 when he was here... which is nothing compared to what i get now.... i'm getting on average 30 per 5 minutes... but then the internet isn't being used for half the day... so would be more like 60 in 5 minutes for me now.

Edited by Hunter1234 (Sat 29-Jun-13 00:42:43)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Jun-13 00:54:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by Hunter1234:
but then the internet isn't being used for half the day
Makes no odds. (Empty) Packets are always travelling down the ADSL connection at your sync speed, even when idle.

Thanks for giving the BT eng's view that under 10 ES per 5 Mins as acceptable. I've always reckoned on 1 ES per min on Fast Path or 1 ES per 5 mins on Interleaved.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to