User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chupatty
(newbie) Sat 29-Jun-13 03:12:05
Print Post

Changed Router, Massive drop in Internet Speed

[link to this post]

Hi everyone, I've just moved back home with my parents after finishing at university, and am trying to help them sort out their disastrous internet speeds with EE.

They've been with Freeserve for a long time, and ever since I can remember we've had consistent download speeds of approximately 2 Mbps using our Netgear DGN2000 router, but eventually that broke, and so we switched to EE's default router that they'd sent us - the EE Bright Box.

Now as best as I can recall, after switching to this router, and ever since, our download speed has plummeted from 2 to 0.2 Mbps, at which it has consistently been for the past couple of months. This has obviously made browsing the internet almost impossible, as well as playing on Xbox Live.

My technical knowledge of this sort of thing is extremely limited, and so any help, advice or guidance would be MASSIVELY appreciated!

I've tried running a BT speed test both when the router is wired to the PC as normal and also with the router connected to the test socket in the BT master socket, and the results (below) are almost identical in both cases:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
0.24 Mbps

0 Mbps - 0.25 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.24 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.84 Mbps

0 Mbps - 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.84Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Jun-13 11:44:38
Print Post

Re: Changed Router, Massive drop in Internet Speed

[re: chupatty] [link to this post]

I requested router stats: Advanced Setup . Accept / System / ADSL Status. These are always of the 1st importance over speedtests.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User chupatty
(newbie) Sat 29-Jun-13 12:53:16
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks Ray, yep I just had to wait until the morning to ask my dad where the log on details were:

ADSL Status

Status
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)

Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 1052 (Kbps.)
Downstream 283 (Kbps.)

Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 9.2 dB 9.9 dB
Line Attenuation 19.6 dB 37.0 dB

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.8 dBm 0.0 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction NA NA
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 3534394 89
Fast Path CRC Error NA NA
Interleaved Path CRC Error 2 12
Loss of Signal Defect 1 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR NA NA
Interleaved Path HEC Error 7 8
Error Seconds 11 73

Statistics
Received Cells 47882
Transmitted Cells 27759

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Jun-13 14:11:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by chupatty:
They've been with Freeserve for a long time, and ever since I can remember we've had consistent download speeds of approximately 2 Mbps using our Netgear DGN2000 router, but eventually that broke, and so we switched to EE's default router that they'd sent us - the EE Bright Box.

I would imagine that numerous disconnections/faults were previously detected on the line and as a result the downstream sync has been restricted (banded) to 283Kbps.

Otherwise the router stats are good and one would expect an ADSL2+ downstream sync of at least 10000Kbps on a 37dB attenuation and SNRM of 9dB.

Probably best to contact the ISP and get the connection reset and they may see a downstream sync of 13000Kbps with a 6dB SNRM with interleaving on. Throughput (download) speeds should then be in the order of around 10Mbps to 11Mbps.
Standard User chupatty
(newbie) Wed 10-Jul-13 01:05:20
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the advice & input on this thread and through private messages.

I've now spoken to EE about 5 times and after they reset our line, our download speed has gone from 0.2 to 9.5 mbps and has consistently been at this for the last 10 days with the router plugged into the test socket as EE instructed.

Given the results of some tests to do with variation in the upstream speeds when switching between connecting the router to the front of the master socket & the test socket, 1 girl from EE said that it must be 1 of the extension ports in the house that is faulty & causing the drop in speed.

However, as this would entail paying £150 for an engineer to check the wiring on all of the extension ports, I called EE again today to clarify the situation before doing so - this different person said that as the speed instantly plummets when plugging the Bright Box back into the front of the master socket, and then shoots up again when re-connecting to the test socket, it MUST be the master socket itself which is faulty, and not the other extension ports in the house.

It's strange that I've been given 2 conflicting recommendations, but obviously the second will be far cheaper to fix (if what I've been told is true).

Has anyone experienced a similar issue in the past at all?
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Jul-13 02:20:13
Print Post

Glad to hear that you have got the connection speeds sorted smile

Actually the advice that you got from support wasn't really conflicting: one or more (?) of the extension sockets, connections or wires from the back of the master faceplate (or indeed the faceplate itself) may be faulty.

Is it essential that you have the phone extensions working? If not, at this stage, it might be a good idea to get a filtered faceplate and plug the router and phone into that (without an extension connected) rather than use a dangle filter in the test socket. That will at least counter the possibility of a faulty standard master faceplate. Then at a later stage you could get the extension(s) inspected/replaced/repaired and connected up to the back of the filtered faceplate.

Getting a filtered faceplate would mean that it wouldn't be necessary to tamper with the existing extension wires, presumably still connected to the back of the standard faceplate, if you don't feel comfortable doing that.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Jul-13 13:24:29
Print Post

variation in the upstream speeds when switching between connecting the router to the front of the master socket & the test socket
How much variation? Please quote figures.

Faulty extension is far more likely than faulty standard NTE5 faceplate.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Jul-13 13:34:34
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
That will at least counter the possibility of a faulty standard master faceplate.
Faulty filtered faceplate is far more likely than faulty standard NTE5 faceplate; there's more to go wrong. I had to beg a standard faceplate from an OR eng after his predecessor fitted a hissy filtered one, just for cosmetic purposes, and half-inched my old standard.

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Jul-13 16:37:24
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by 4M2:
That will at least counter the possibility of a faulty standard master faceplate.
Faulty filtered faceplate is far more likely than faulty standard NTE5 faceplate; there's more to go wrong. I had to beg a standard faceplate from an OR eng after his predecessor fitted a hissy filtered one, just for cosmetic purposes, and half-inched my old standard.

A problem with the current standard faceplate is very unlikely, however the OP may feel that a replacement NTE5 faceplate might be one option - if that is the case then getting a filtered faceplate now with the purpose of filtering voice extensions at a later stage might be worth consideration?

Personally I like to filter voice extensions from a NTE5 filtered faceplate rather than use dangle filters at the master and each extension socket smile
Standard User Mike_Williams
(committed) Thu 11-Jul-13 12:54:43
Print Post

However, as this would entail paying £150 for an engineer to check the wiring on all of the extension ports ...
BT consider any wring inside the house to be the responsibly of the property owner not BT hence the extortionate call out charge.

As it's your responsibly simply find a local electrician who will be able to check out the wiring and install new cables and sockets as necessary for what I would guess is a lot less than £150

Regards
Mike Williams

Info :-
Line: Length 250 metres
Modem router: Buffalo wbmr-hp-g300h + LinkSys wg54g both running dd-wrt firmware
IP Profile = Down 19418 kbps Up 1019 kbps

2012: EE WBC 20Mbps Down: 22010 kbps Up: 1019 kbps
2003: Demon ADSLMax 8Mbps Down: 8128 kbps Up: 448 kbps
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to