User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TomJ778
(newbie) Sun 14-Jul-13 14:19:20
Print Post

Desktop PC Cannot See EE BrightBox Router

[link to this post]

I've recently had a new Bright Box router from EE, and have managed to successfully connect wirelessly on all of my devices, apart from my Desktop PC.

My Desktop PC is running Windows XP and my Wireless Adapter is an Inventel Wireless Magic Adapter (that was provided by Wanadoo a long time ago)

Note:
- I am able to connect using an Ethernet Cable
- I have confirmed this is not out of reach by moving my PC right next to the router

It does not show up in the list of Available Wireless Networks. Although I can see other routers, and used to be able to connect to my old router without issue.

Any ideas? I'm wondering if my adapter is not compatible with the brightbox for some reason. Might just purchase a new one as I've seen one for only £8.99 (TP-LINK TL-WN821N USB Adapter)
Standard User Ianph
(committed) Sun 14-Jul-13 16:02:28
Print Post

Re: Desktop PC Cannot See EE BrightBox Router

[re: TomJ778] [link to this post]

as its an old machine ensure the brightbox wireless settings are set to use wirelesss standard "802.11b,g,n" it may be factory set to use "802.11g,n" only and as its an old machine it may only be "802.11b" compatible

good luck
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Jul-13 16:04:23
Print Post

Re: Desktop PC Cannot See EE BrightBox Router EDITED

Under the BrightBox router DHCP reserve your computer wireless adapter card IP address so it does not clash with other devices IP addresses. I have my computer wireless adapter card IP address 192.168.1.32 and have the Ethernet adapter card 192.168.1.3

To find details of your computer wireless adapter card. Go… Start > Run > at Open enter, cmd
At the cursor type ipconfig /all

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f138/how-to-r...

At BrightBox wireless settings Channel and SSID. I have the
Wireless Mode: 11b+11g+11n
Channel: Auto
Bandwidth: 20/40 MHz

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Sun 14-Jul-13 17:13:31)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 14-Jul-13 16:28:47
Print Post

check the wireless channel is 1-11, in case your gadget can't do 12,13 for some reason (eg thinking it's in the USA)

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Jul-13 22:50:11
Print Post

[re: Ianph] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ianph:
as its an old machine
It's not the XP PC that's the issue but sounds like an ancient wireless adapter.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Mike_Williams
(committed) Mon 15-Jul-13 13:14:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by TomJ778:
I've recently had a new Bright Box router from EE, and have managed to successfully connect wirelessly on all of my devices, apart from my Desktop PC.

My Desktop PC is running Windows XP and my Wireless Adapter is an Inventel Wireless Magic Adapter (that was provided by Wanadoo a long time ago)

Note:
- I am able to connect using an Ethernet Cable
- I have confirmed this is not out of reach by moving my PC right next to the router

It does not show up in the list of Available Wireless Networks. Although I can see other routers, and used to be able to connect to my old router without issue.

Any ideas? I'm wondering if my adapter is not compatible with the brightbox for some reason. Might just purchase a new one as I've seen one for only £8.99 (TP-LINK TL-WN821N USB Adapter)
I have seen some Wireless issues that are only solved by :-
* Turn router off and find out best channel number using something like inssider.
* Turn router back on. Connect to the router via Ethernet, set channel to one of 1, 6, 11 determined at above step.
* Change mode to b/g.

Regards
Mike Williams

Info :-
Line: Length 250 metres
Modem router: Buffalo wbmr-hp-g300h + LinkSys wg54g both running dd-wrt firmware
IP Profile = Down 19418 kbps Up 1019 kbps

2012: EE WBC 20Mbps Down: 22010 kbps Up: 1019 kbps
2003: Demon ADSLMax 8Mbps Down: 8128 kbps Up: 448 kbps
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Jul-13 14:26:53
Print Post

Change the wireless channel to 1
If that doesn't work change it to 6
If that doesn't work change it to 11

Do not have auto as older cards didn't see channel 11 and 13 as they were US programmed
  Print Thread

Jump to