User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User geremof
(newbie) Tue 23-Jul-13 22:19:44
Print Post

My Brightbox is rather dull. Help with setting up new router

[link to this post]

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for some help in setting up my Asus RT-N56U to work with my orange broadband. I bought this foolishly last year without doing my homework, failing to realise I needed a separate modem to connect to the internet if I'm correct. So it was thrown in the cupboard due to frustration of setting it up until now.

Anyways, there's a new laptop in our household and our connection is dropping all the time. So I'm here in hopes that someone can baby step me through the process of setting this router up if that is even possible using my Orange Brightbox (Not sure on the version, received late last year).

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Even if it's to suggest the route of buying a cheap recommended router if that's the easier option.

Here's a link to the router:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-N56U-Wireless-Hardwa...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Jul-13 22:22:35
Print Post

Re: My Brightbox is rather dull. Help with setting up new ro

[re: geremof] [link to this post]

If your web interface looks like the bigger RT-N66U then this page should help

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/76-as...

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User geremof
(newbie) Tue 23-Jul-13 22:30:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the speedy reply.
I've had a look through this and the jargon is mind melting. I don't even know which scenario I'm supposed to pick here.
I'd like to emphasise baby steps/crayons/etc if anyone can kindly explain what has to be done.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jul-13 22:32:26
Print Post

confused as to what you got set up now.
In reply to a post by geremof:
failing to realise I needed a separate modem to connect to the internet if I'm correct.
Why do you think this?

Are you on Fibre or ADSL?

If ADSL you just need the Brightbox, which contains an ADSL modem. It should auto set itself up to connect to Net. You just need to set up the wireless mode, SSID and password to get the laptop to connect.

If Fibre, the BT eng would have supplied a BT OR Fibre modem and connected the BrightBox to it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Jul-13 22:43:52
Print Post

The Brightbox would work as a modem and router, and by switching the RT-56 into access point mode you disable its router functionality, avoiding what us geeks call the double NAT problem.

So in simple terms
Goto http://192.168.1.1
On left in the Advanced Settings section click on the Administration tab
Make sure operation mode is displayed
Select the Access Point (AP) mode radio button
Click Save

and the device should be working and have its wireless network available on whatever wireless settings you originally set on the device.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jul-13 11:43:53
Print Post

The Bright Box router configure as the main router with IP address 192.168.1.1 and the Asus router as the wireless Access Point with IP address 192.168.1.2

Disable Asus router DHCP

Connect Asus router LAN port to Bright Box router LAN port with Cat 5e patch cable.

Use ipconfig /all to find the settings of your network. http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f138/how-to-r...

In the Bright Box router on the DHCP settings page (Add Reserved IP), reserve the IP address 192.168.1.2 for the Asus router wireless access point.

I use the same wireless security settings for main router and access point.

Use different wireless SSID, for the main router Mickey Mouse and for the Access Point Minnie Mouse, so you can identify which you are connected.

http://www.tested.com/tech/298-how-to-use-an-old-rou...

http://i.dslr.net/pics/faqs/image93081.jpg

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Wed 24-Jul-13 13:12:25)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 24-Jul-13 14:43:20
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Why that hassle when most of the Asus Ethernet routers have the option for a wireless access point, where in one click it does what you suggest and also avoids issues like IP clashes.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Jul-13 22:47:33
Print Post

He's fond of giving his favourite pro-forma network answer to any network Q regardless of requirements.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jul-13 12:26:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Why that hassle when most of the Asus Ethernet routers have the option for a wireless access point, where in one click it does what you suggest and also avoids issues like IP clashes.
Just trying to help the OP who seemed desperate for more information.

In reply to a post by geremof:
Thanks for the speedy reply.
I've had a look through this and the jargon is mind melting. I don't even know which scenario I'm supposed to pick here.
I'd like to emphasise baby steps/crayons/etc if anyone can kindly explain what has to be done.
User Manual http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-N56U/E7...

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Jul-13 12:32:08
Print Post

Agreed. Your solution is far simpler and makes much more sense given that the op isn't over tech savvy.

I'd strongly suggest they go via your route. Just my two cents!
  Print Thread

Jump to