User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User parish
(experienced) Mon 30-Sep-13 14:32:06
Print Post

Worth switching to EE from BT Total Broadband?

[link to this post]

I've recently switched my mobile to Orange who are pushing what seems like a very good deal for home BB.

I'm currently with BT Unlimited (was Option 3) and generally have no complaints but I'm getting more than a little p***ed off with BT who constantly trot out the "not cost-effective" argument for not letting me have Infinity when there's a box across the street yet can sqaunder £738m on the rights to football and then have the cheek to try and kid me that it's a freebie. I find football only marginally less boring than watching grass grow and would much rather they spent their (our) millions on their network.

What is Orange/EE like? The speeds should be the same as they will be using the same piece of BT wet string for the connection but what are they like for data caps and traffic management (we all know that "Unlimited" means nothing of the sort)?

I'm not a heavy user. Although I don't check my usage regularly, the highest I've ever seen is 76GB in a month but maybe more now as we watch quite a bit on Netflix.

Worth switching, or is it a case of getting what you pay for?
Standard User glossywhite
(member) Mon 30-Sep-13 21:45:02
Print Post

Re: Worth switching to EE from BT Total Broadband?

[re: parish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by parish:
I've recently switched my mobile to Orange who are pushing what seems like a very good deal for home BB.

I'm currently with BT Unlimited (was Option 3) and generally have no complaints but I'm getting more than a little p***ed off with BT who constantly trot out the "not cost-effective" argument for not letting me have Infinity when there's a box across the street yet can sqaunder £738m on the rights to football and then have the cheek to try and kid me that it's a freebie. I find football only marginally less boring than watching grass grow and would much rather they spent their (our) millions on their network.

What is Orange/EE like? The speeds should be the same as they will be using the same piece of BT wet string for the connection but what are they like for data caps and traffic management (we all know that "Unlimited" means nothing of the sort)?

I'm not a heavy user. Although I don't check my usage regularly, the highest I've ever seen is 76GB in a month but maybe more now as we watch quite a bit on Netflix.

Worth switching, or is it a case of getting what you pay for?

Simple - YES - do it.

We were with BT from 1982 until 2006 (ish), and we then, foolishly, moved to "TalkTalk". I shall just say this; we USED to think you couldn't get any worse than BT... well, let me just say - you DEFINITELY can. That is omitting all the details of our "experience" for the sake of my sanity.

Moving to Orange (they were still Orange back in 2011, when I finally migrated from TalkTalk) was the best landline & ADSL decision we've ever made!

We now pay just over £31 a month for unlimited ADSL, unlimited anytime calls including ALL "01" and "02" numbers, 0870, 0845, fair usage for free calls to a selection of foreign landlines (unsure which - never use, so never checked) and 1,000 mins FREE of UK mobile calls.

Yes, in a nutshell. The customer services agents are polite, agreeable and efficient (Indian "tech support" are polite - but a bit like walking through treacle crazy)

If you ever have any problems with EE, call their executive office: 0800 079 0032 - they resolve things VERY politely - I have never had to use them, but they called me today and offered me the new "Bright Box 2", gratis!

Brill - please do it, for your sanity.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Sep-13 21:49:53
Print Post

As long as you are in EE's network area, which isn't obvious, it is unlimited with no traffic management except for P2P. EE Traffic management.

If they offer their ADSL lowest product for £5 (with EE mobile) then you are in their network area; otherwise it'll be £15.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Mon 30-Sep-13 21:52:58
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
As long as you are in EE's network area, which isn't obvious, it is unlimited with no traffic management except for P2P. EE Traffic management.

If they offer their ADSL lowest product for £5 (with EE mobile) then you are in their network area; otherwise it'll be £15.

I am not in their LLU area - I am served by the OpenReach "IPStream" product, but it's still a great service. It's good enough, just not to be paying line rental to BT - the crooks.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Sep-13 21:55:10
Print Post

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by glossywhite:
We now pay just over £31 a month for unlimited ADSL, unlimited anytime calls including ALL "01" and "02" numbers, 0870, 0845, fair usage for free calls to a selection of foreign landlines (unsure which - never use, so never checked) and 1,000 mins FREE of UK mobile calls.
Why not £26.75 = £12 Unlimited Broadband and Anytime + Mobile Calls + £14.75 line rental?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(member) Mon 30-Sep-13 21:58:55
Print Post

Why not £26.75 = £12 Unlimited Broadband and Anytime + Mobile Calls + £14.75 line rental?

Ah yes - we pay £5 for the unlimited mobile calls - they're not "free", technically, but VERY VERY VERY cheap.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Sep-13 22:01:36
Print Post

I am not in their LLU area
EE don't do LLU anymore. Their network area is historic and if you are not in it it is heavily traffic managed. Traffic Management Policy for EE Unlimited Off-Net Broadband.

Standard User parish
(experienced) Mon 30-Sep-13 22:26:58
Print Post

I am not in their LLU area
EE don't do LLU anymore. Their network area is historic and if you are not in it it is heavily traffic managed. Traffic Management Policy for EE Unlimited Off-Net Broadband.

How can I tell if I'm in their network area?
Standard User parish
(experienced) Mon 30-Sep-13 22:35:15
Print Post

Simple - YES - do it.

We were with BT from 1982 until 2006 (ish), and we then, foolishly, moved to "TalkTalk". I shall just say this; we USED to think you couldn't get any worse than BT... well, let me just say - you DEFINITELY can. That is omitting all the details of our "experience" for the sake of my sanity.

Moving to Orange (they were still Orange back in 2011, when I finally migrated from TalkTalk) was the best landline & ADSL decision we've ever made!

Yes, in a nutshell. The customer services agents are polite, agreeable and efficient (Indian "tech support" are polite - but a bit like walking through treacle crazy)

If you ever have any problems with EE, call their executive office: 0800 079 0032 - they resolve things VERY politely - I have never had to use them, but they called me today and offered me the new "Bright Box 2", gratis!

Brill - please do it, for your sanity.

Thanks for the info.

Do you pay the BT line rental through Orange/EE or still direct to BT? I ask because I am currently on the deal from BT where I paid my line rental up front for a year (£5/month saving IIRC) and that runs until the end of the year.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Sep-13 22:42:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by parish:
How can I tell if I'm in their network area?
If they offer their ADSL lowest product for £5 (with EE mobile) then you are in their network area; if it is £15 then you are outside their network area.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to