User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mikehunt69
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 14:41:28
Print Post

Bright Box 2 - new customer

[link to this post]

Just signed up to EE (from Post Office), on the 38mbit package. Got the impression from their website that I'd get a BB2.

However have only been sent BB1.

I'm not sure if I was mistaken, or them? If so, should I complain?

The BB1 and BB2 are both to me unusable as routers as they lack gigabit internet, so I was probably going to put it in bridge mode.

I'm currently using a very old ADSL modem on my existing 8mbit line, can I configure the BB to work with ADSL, or does it only work with fibre?
Standard User mikehunt69
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 15:05:22
Print Post

Re: Bright Box 2 - new customer

[re: mikehunt69] [link to this post]

Just did some more searching around, seems that they provide a separate VDSL modem, Openreach branded, so I can just stick the brightbox straight onto fleabay, as it's underspecced junk. So in that respect I guess it's better than the brightbox 2, which is also underspecced, as I don't need a hulking great router acting in bridge mode when I can just have a little modem instead.

I assume there's no settings I need to wipe from the router before selling it?
Standard User Zak_
(member) Wed 13-Nov-13 15:07:24
Print Post

From EE website:

()New Router exclusively available to new EE fibre broadband customers
and existing EE standard broadband customers upgrading to our 76Mb/sec plan.
*Half price for 3 months then from £25 a month. Hurry offer ends 27th November. Includes £5.00 a month discount for EE, T-Mobile and Orange mobile customers.

FIBRE BROADBAND SO STRONG YOU CAN USE IT ALL OVER THE HOUSE

Scroll through to appropriate part if not there when web page opens.

Edited by Zak_ (Wed 13-Nov-13 15:14:43)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mikehunt69
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 15:28:21
Print Post

[re: Zak_] [link to this post]

I guess I read the 76MB/sec clause as modifying only the second part of the sentence.

Anyway, I'm happy to stick with my existing router (which is an older draft N model, but a top of the range one with gigabit ethernet and so on), if I need faster wifi for streaming media I will probably go down the powerline route anyway.
Standard User mikehunt69
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 16:21:42
Print Post

[re: Zak_] [link to this post]

Also says here:
https://explore-orange-live-orangedigital.s3.amazona...

"The EE Bright Box 2 will be available free of charge to new and upgrading Fibre customers later this summer."
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Nov-13 18:02:33
Print Post

If you ever have a fault with the service then I would urge caution in disposing of the brightbox as their support will expect to be guiding you through its interface. Though in fibre mode there is not much for them to see or get you to do.

The BB2 is able to replace the white openreach modem too - if memory is working at the end of the day correctly.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Nov-13 18:20:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The BB2 is able to replace the white openreach modem too - if memory is working at the end of the day correctly.
Your memory is correct, Andrew - BB2's built in modem has VDSL2 support so you do not need an external FTTC modem.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Nov-13 23:31:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by mikehunt69:
can I configure the BB to work with ADSL
Yes, tick Broadband Type: = ADSL on Set-Up page.

The BrightBox 2 does have Gigabytebit (Me bad!) ports:
The Bright Box 2 has one Gigabit Ethernet WAN and one Gigabit LAN for a faster wired network

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 14-Nov-13 00:32:01)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Nov-13 23:34:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by mikehunt69:
I guess I read the 76MB/sec clause as modifying only the second part of the sentence.
It does, but you come under 'new EE fibre broadband customers' don't you? You migrated in from PO?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User mikehunt69
(newbie) Thu 14-Nov-13 00:21:14
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The BrightBox 2 does have Gigabyte ports:
In reference to e-gain.s3.amazonaws.com/external/content/Internet/Broadband/Images/...:
The Bright Box 2 has one Gigabit Ethernet WAN and one Gigabit LAN for a faster wired network

They are 0.125 gigabyte, technically. Anyway, the BB2 has 6 ports:

1 * 'DSL' (for the fibre broadband connection)
3 * 100 mbit LAN
1 * gigabit LAN
1 * (gigabit?) wan

I don't think you can use the WAN port as a LAN port, it's presumably a standard piece of hardware from China and designed to permit either the use of a separate modem (e.g., with cable) or the in-built one.

In my case I have PC, server, and router in the same room and they are currently connecting via gigabit, and I wouldn't be able to do that if I replaced my router with the Brightbox 2. So I think I am best using a separate VDSL modem and my existing router.

Though I guess the Brightbox 2 might fetch more on ebay if I did flog it - I can't find any up for sale on there now though, but looks like the Home Hub 5 is worth £50 or so, albeit that it's obviously more desirable with the BT name and 4 * gigabit ethernet. So the BB 2 probably isn't worth more than £30 really.

I'd have to complain to EE, flog the BB2, order a separate VDSL modem, and it's not just really worth it all in all.

Edited by mikehunt69 (Thu 14-Nov-13 00:23:20)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to