User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GorillaWheels
(regular) Wed 13-Nov-13 21:45:37
Print Post

ADSL2+ Output Power Far End Indicator

[link to this post]

I am in my 10 day training period thingy after an upgrade to ADSL2+ from ADSL Max.
Peering through my ADSL Status (Brightbox) I noticed the Output Power Far End Indicator shows 0.0 dBm and there used to be a figure 18.8 dBm looking at some old screen captures. What does that mean, is it always this for ADSL2+, just curious? I'm really not techie so any explanations in plainish English would be great, thanks smile

Dave

Edited by GorillaWheels (Wed 13-Nov-13 21:46:08)

Standard User beardedwonder
(regular) Wed 13-Nov-13 21:53:29
Print Post

Re: ADSL2+ Output Power Far End Indicator

[re: GorillaWheels] [link to this post]

I have occasionally had numbers there, after an Openreach visit. I'm currently in one of the best line stability periods I've ever had with EE and there are no numbers there.
(regular) Wed 13-Nov-13 22:06:06
Print Post

[re: beardedwonder] [link to this post]

I just wondered why it is different, it stood out to me. I've been on it 8 1/2 days now and I've checked a fair bit, few times a day, and never seen anything other than 0.0
I haven't got a brilliant line, old wiring, no NTE5 and a fair old distance to the PCP and exchange. ADSL2+ though has given me approx. an extra 1Mbps download speed and about 2.5x increase in upload speed.

Dave

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Nov-13 23:15:45
Print Post

It's nowt to do with ADSL2+ itself; more to do with the BTw WBC that EE resell. It's been 0dB since Orange went WBC 2.5 years ago; before that it was a meaningful value, 18.7 dB say, on Orange LLU ADSL2+.

You may find it does report positive with a diff router, but I doubt it. My Netgear also show it at 0dB.

Another anomoly I find is that it reports it under 'Far End Indicator' yet my Netgear reports it as Down, see: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/freeserve/t/3995938... . I thought Down was the 'Near End Indicators'.

@ Any Plusnet user on ADSL2+: Does your Down Power also report 0dB?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(regular) Wed 13-Nov-13 23:32:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

XRaySpeX
Yes I see what you mean looking at that link.
Brightbox Upstream is 'Near End Indicators', Downstream is 'Far End Indicators'.

Dave
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Nov-13 23:51:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by GorillaWheels:
Brightbox Upstream is 'Near End Indicators', Downstream is 'Far End Indicators'.
Not entirely! I think BrightBox is inconsistent.

The Down Error Seconds and all the other error counts, which are always larger, are shown under 'Near End Indicator'.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(regular) Thu 14-Nov-13 00:23:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by GorillaWheels:
Not entirely! I think BrightBox is inconsistent.

The Down Error Seconds and all the other error counts, which are always larger, are shown under 'Near End Indicator'.

Yes, I see what you mean.
  Print Thread

Jump to