User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User alanparker
(learned) Mon 16-Dec-13 18:55:09
Print Post

OrangeHome ADSL broadband: "password expire = slow speeds".

[link to this post]

Apologies in advance if this looks like a "cool story, bro" at the beginning, but I thought I'd pre-empt some of the "did you try.." questions!

Got a call from a friend: Orange broadband (non-LLU area) going stupidly slow.
Did a "normal" speed test - wouldn't even run.
Did a BT speed test:
Down: 0.4M/s, up 0.9M/s. IP profile: 9M/s.

All was clearly not well. Checked sockets, changed filter, left router off for 10 mins, tried again. It seemed that the text of pages would load, but nothing would download. Tried some pings of various sized packets - default was OK, but anything above 1000 just timed out. Weird.

Phoned Orange - "at this time, thank you for these informations, you must reset router".

Reset router, wouldn't connect at all now. Got "chap authentication" error.
Phoned Orange again, who confirmed password but then said it had expired.

ME: "But - we were on just an hour ago. It was working but just very slow".
Orange: "Yes, that is because your password has expired".
ME: "Sorry? Are you saying that although the password had expired, we were able to still use the net but just very slowly?"
Orange: "Yes".
Me: "When did it expire".
Orange: "At some time. I have now reset your password and it is xxxxxxx. Please try this now".

With the appalling line, long delay, slight echo, and hold after just about every question while "I just check these informations for you", I was just about ready to top myself so didn't pursue that line "expired password = slow line" much further. Continuing on....

Me: "OK, while we spoke, I tried the new password and it doesn't work".
Orange: "Yes, it takes 24 hours to take effect, please try new password tomorrow".
Me: "Really? So why did you say to try it now?".
Orange: "You must enter new password into your router".

It was now 50 minutes and I had to leave, but I'm assuming it won't be working tomorrow.

First thing: What's this about expiring ADLS passwords meaning slow line? Is there something I don't know and have never heard of?

And what would have caused the link to be connected at 9Mb/s but pages to load like dialup? I tried a laptop via wireless and their desktop via LAN. Been fine for 4 years until now.

Also tried the bt_test_user@startup_domain test user just in case there was some router corruption - straight in as test user no probs and assigned IP and DNS server. But of course, no "real" internet.

Apart from the obvious "don't use Orange" answer, anything else I could try?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Dec-13 09:25:34
Print Post

Re: OrangeHome ADSL broadband: "password expire = slow speed

[re: alanparker] [link to this post]

First of all BB authentication passwords never expire. I've had my current 1 since Freeserve days. Orange CS were giving you a load of BS as usual. There is no connection between your speeds and whether you can successfully authenticate.

Try logging into friend's Orange Member Centre with what he thinks his username ( like firstname@username.Orange.co.uk) and pwd are or use the "forgotten username/pwd" options, and try changing pwd here: https://web.orange.co.uk/id/profilemanagement.php?rm... . No need to talk to Orange about these. If they work here but you still can't authenticate then Orange has not registered/removed them on its authentication server.

Orange no longer do LLU. It's all resold BTw. From his 0.9 Meg Up speed, he is on WBC ADSL2+. What exchange is he on?

What are his router stats (even if he can't authenticate you can still see these) ? What router?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Tue 17-Dec-13 09:58:51
Print Post

"With the appalling line, long delay, slight echo, and hold after just about every question while "I just check these informations for you", I was just about ready to top myself so didn't pursue that line "expired password = slow line" much further. Continuing on...."

Have you tried the Quiet Line Test?

Plug a corded/old phone in to the BT Master Socket.

Dial 17070
Option 2 (SKY Option 4)

Apart from occasional announcements and possibly a very low hum, the line should be quiet, e no crackling, loud noises, engineering tones etc.

If anything untoward is heard, this should be reported as a PHONE Fault (avoiding mentioning Broadband) to your friend's PHONE Provider.

The PHONE Provider may be Orange, may be BT or some other.

If NOTHING untoward is heard, reconnect the normal phoone wire at that socket; and re-do the Quiet Test at others.

If noises are heard, they are originating on that internal wiring - and as basically that is your friend's responsibility, he needs to track the cause.

This may be something directly connected; but may also be an external source such as a microwave cooker, Christmas/flashing lights, TV set (particularly plasma) etc.

Such external sources may be in nearby neighbours etc.

As the Quiet Test is "free", generally it should be the first resort, before re-setting routers, purchasing replacement "better" modems etc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Dec-13 12:43:08
Print Post

The EE/Orange broadband password does not expire and that customer service rep who said it has is an idiot, also the broadband customer creates the password not EE/Orange.

-----------------------------------
EE/Orange Router settings
Username: surnamenumber.orangehome.co.uk@fs
Password: the customer creates this with alfa letters and numbers.
-----------------------------------------
EE/Orange account Login
Login Username: firstname@surnamenumber.orangehome.co.uk
Login Password: use same password as used in router.
----------------------------------------------------
https://web.orange.co.uk/r/login/
Have you considered your slow speeds might be due to electrical interference from Christmas Lights? frown

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User alanparker
(learned) Tue 17-Dec-13 20:32:45
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E7er:
EE/Orange Router settings
Username: surnamenumber.orangehome.co.uk@fs
Password: the customer creates this with alfa letters and numbers.
https://web.orange.co.uk/r/login/

Thank you thank you thank you! That was it! We're back in now!

During the two phone calls, I repeated back the details that the CS had given me, letter for letter, phonetically, at least three times. They had told me that the details to put into the router were:

firstname@lastname.orangehome.co.uk

Then I tried your suggestion:

lastname.orangehome.co.uk@fs

and it worked! Since then, I also found this:

If you've been with us a little longer you may have an Orange, Wanadoo or Freeserve username. This looks something like this:

yourname.orangehome.co.uk
yourname.freeserve.co.uk

Add @fs at the end of the username to connect to the Internet. Or remove for email and logging in to Your Account via My EE.

I'm furious - what a waste of time that damn wretched woman caused. Of course, you can never complain - the women are all always called Diana and the men are always Ricky or Michelangelo (I'm pretty sure they're not called that!).

Anyway, login problem resolved, back in now! Onto the speed problem...

In reply to a post by E7er:
Have you considered your slow speeds might be due to electrical interference from Christmas Lights? frown
They're not even up yet!

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Have you tried the Quiet Line Test?

Sorry, I should have clarified - when I said noise on the line, I meant specifically on the call to Orange CS in whatever far away overcrowded hellhole they work from. Other calls (and quiet line) is fine.

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
First of all BB authentication passwords never expire. I've had my current 1 since Freeserve days. Orange CS were giving you a load of BS as usual.

Tell me about it!

Orange no longer do LLU.
Indeed - not that there's any choice in the exchange anyway. It's market 1. Tiny town.

What are his router stats (even if he can't authenticate you can still see these) ? What router?
Don't know, not there now. DG384PN

Anyway, thanks all for suggestions. And damn Orange to hell! (I have tried persuading friend to change to plusnet, but they seem happy paying £40/m for broadband and the same for a mobile contract with 150 minutes. Change scares them. Go figure....)
Standard User alanparker
(learned) Fri 20-Dec-13 13:29:41
Print Post

Just wanted to follow up on this - I suggested they get an iPlate. I was a bit sceptical, but it arrived this morning, they fitted it, and I've just come off the phone while they did a speedtest ... always been <3, now 9mb/sec!

£5 well spent there!
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Fri 20-Dec-13 15:09:45
Print Post

Afternoon Alan

Thanks for that information re the iPlate, always worth being aware of such happenings and the problems they cause.

Would you ask your friend to check in about a month's time, to confirm that the problem is apparently "permanently" cured; and post the results here?

"Signs, Symptons, Diagnosis, Treatment, Prognosis"!
Standard User alanparker
(learned) Fri 17-Jan-14 22:28:01
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Would you ask your friend to check in about a month's time, to confirm that the problem is apparently "permanently" cured; and post the results here?

Just been round there as it happens - very happily trundling along with an 8Mb speedtest. iPlate for the win!
  Print Thread

Jump to