User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ianph
(committed) Sat 21-Dec-13 11:55:50
Print Post

Problem With BrightBox 1 Router on Fibre

[link to this post]

hi all,

i wonder if anyone could help with my router,

every morning when i get up and start to check news videos and football videos on BBC sites i cannot watch any video without buffering unless i reboot the router

i have to reboot the router every single morning or even things like miniclip 8 ball pool on facebook becomes unusable until after a daily reboot

im pretty sure this isnt supposed to happen and the router should work without having to be rebooted therefor is my router faulty and should i ask EE for a replacement or upgrade if they'll give me 1?

anybody?

Edited by Ianph (Sat 21-Dec-13 13:36:50)

Standard User sully1311
(learned) Sat 21-Dec-13 21:26:18
Print Post

Re: Problem With BrightBox 1 Router on Fibre

[re: Ianph] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ianph:
hi all,

i wonder if anyone could help with my router,

every morning when i get up and start to check news videos and football videos on BBC sites i cannot watch any video without buffering unless i reboot the router

i have to reboot the router every single morning or even things like miniclip 8 ball pool on facebook becomes unusable until after a daily reboot

im pretty sure this isnt supposed to happen and the router should work without having to be rebooted therefor is my router faulty and should i ask EE for a replacement or upgrade if they'll give me 1?

anybody?

I think there is something wrong with all the Brightboxes. It does this on ADSL2+ as well. BBC News clips buffer then stop after a few seconds, youtube videos, large downloads just stop?
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Dec-13 12:11:00
Print Post

[re: sully1311] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sully1311:
I think there is something wrong with all the Brightboxes. It does this on ADSL2+ as well. BBC News clips buffer then stop after a few seconds, youtube videos, large downloads just stop?
My connection is buffering a bit this morning; I think it could be due to congestion with a lot of people using the service at the Christmas holiday period. Previous I got the problem of buffering and YouTube not running when the Upstream speed was halved for my connection. I find usually if the Upstream speed stays over 1000 Kbps it will all run smoothly.
I think the BrightBox router is real good, set the MTU: 1500 Primary DNS: 193.36.79.101 Secondary DNS:193.36.79.100

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1KUDRouGcI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd_a6sI1amQ

My connection ADSL2+ Stats this morning...
ADSL STATUS
This page shows information about your ADSL connection if applicable.
Status

Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)

Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 1240 (Kbps.)
Downstream 9723 (Kbps.)

Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 6.6 dB 6.6 dB
Line Attenuation 15.8 dB 29.5 dB

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.8 dBm 21.1 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction NA NA
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 0 0
Fast Path CRC Error NA NA
Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 0
Loss of Signal Defect 2 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR NA NA
Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 0
Error Seconds 23 0

Statistics
Received Cells 11
Transmitted Cells 11

Edited: I have even lost the connection a few times today, it must be congestion; too many people using the services.

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Sun 22-Dec-13 12:50:22)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ianph
(committed) Sun 22-Dec-13 12:11:36
Print Post

yes sully,

thats exactly what i experience i have contacted EE and they are sending me a Bright Box 2.

they did at first ask me if they could screen share insisting it was a problem with the wireless settings when i told them i was wired and had reset the router to defaults multiple times which didnt help they agreed to send the router.

the woman told me the router would be 2 - 3 days business days which would be xmas eve, xmas day so i think it might be 27th or 28th when i receive it

Standard User Ianph
(committed) Sun 22-Dec-13 12:13:11
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

cant set the MTU on fibre its greyed out at 1492

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Dec-13 12:44:50
Print Post

I think there is something wrong with all the Brightboxes. It does this on ADSL2+ as well.
Never had this trouble with the BrightBox 1 on ADSL2+. Must be your particular one.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-Dec-13 13:10:07
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Loss of connection, as in ADSL sync is not a symptom of congestion, rather a symptom of maybe noise or other issue.

Congestion should only affect throughput

Also there is no reason why an upstream of under 1000 Kbps should affect streaming, unless it is that slow due to error rates. UDP based video streaming has no need to use the upstream for ACKs even, HTTP/TCP based streaming protocols will rely on the ACK flowing smoothly but no reason for a line of 500 Kbps to NOT be able to serve them in sufficient time.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sully1311
(learned) Sun 22-Dec-13 20:30:24
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
I think there is something wrong with all the Brightboxes. It does this on ADSL2+ as well.
Never had this trouble with the BrightBox 1 on ADSL2+. Must be your particular one.

I've read a lot of threads around the Internet about it as well.

http://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Interrupted-D...

http://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband/iPlayer-and-B...

http://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband/BROADBAND-KEE...

http://community.ee.co.uk/t5/products-services/Can-n...

Edited by sully1311 (Sun 22-Dec-13 20:47:42)

Standard User sully1311
(learned) Sun 22-Dec-13 20:34:10
Print Post

[re: Ianph] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ianph:
yes sully,

thats exactly what i experience i have contacted EE and they are sending me a Bright Box 2.

they did at first ask me if they could screen share insisting it was a problem with the wireless settings when i told them i was wired and had reset the router to defaults multiple times which didnt help they agreed to send the router.

the woman told me the router would be 2 - 3 days business days which would be xmas eve, xmas day so i think it might be 27th or 28th when i receive it

Nice to hear. I think the Brightbox 2 is for Fibre only? I've gone back to using my old Livebox. Signal in house is a bit poorer, but at least the Internet is actually usable.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Dec-13 12:05:49
Print Post

I think the Brightbox 2 is for Fibre only?
No, both! Just like BT HH5 and latest Sky router. We're heading towards 'wires-only' FTTC in New Year.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to