User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User EEuser
(newbie) Wed 29-Jan-14 22:16:43
Print Post

EE - Loss of download speed 10mbps down to 7mbps

[link to this post]

Another user has suggested I start this as a new thread. He says my problem is low sync speed. Re-cap Enjoyed average of 10mbps from April 2011 to Early December 2013. Then speed started to fall and now down to between 5 and 6mbps. Someone else on TBB from Worcestershire has a similar experience. Is this a more general experience of other EE users? Going round and round the EE Customer Service and Technical Dept loop without any progress. Having had similar problems before it feels like a deliberate cut in service by EE. Previously I have found someone to help me with authority. My search continues this time around.

Edited by EEuser (Wed 29-Jan-14 22:18:01)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Jan-14 23:12:17
Print Post

Re: EE - Loss of download speed 10mbps down to 7mbps

[re: EEuser] [link to this post]

Since the routers connection speed is the key factor what is the download and upload connection speed, and attenuation and noise margin figures from the router.

Did look but could not see a set of yours. If http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc says they are within expected range then it might just be variations in wiring e.g. impact of the water into lines over the last year

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jan-14 23:21:24
Print Post

Re: EE - Loss of Sync speed 11mbps down to 7mbps

In reply to a post by EEuser:
He says my problem is low sync speed.
Not exactly! Your main problem seems to be slow throughput at certain times as shown here: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/freeserve/t/4299475... when your sync speed was above 7 Meg. But at other times your throughput, of about 6 Meg, shows full pelt from the sync, which seems to indicate congestion.

Yes, your sync is also down from its expected speed of 11 Meg to about 7 Meg.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User EEuser
(newbie) Wed 29-Jan-14 23:22:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Interesting - I looked at the http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc page and saw ADSL -8Mbps and ADSL 2 - 12Mbps Could it be my problem that EE have downgraded me from ADSL2 from ADSL 1?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Jan-14 23:35:43
Print Post

It will be clearer if you find where the figures I mentioned are in the bright box, it may even list the ADSL mode it is connecting at.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Wed 29-Jan-14 23:46:15
Print Post

I had a quick look at your figures. You are connecting with ADSL2+ Your down noise margin is 15dB and would account for a drop from 10 to 7 Mbps if you were at 6dB previously. This can be easily reset by EE but if it drops again you have a line problem.

Your variable speed tests look a bit odd - 6 Mbps then 1 Mbps on Monday 11am doesn't look like typical congestion. What tester did you use, what device, wireless or wired?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jan-14 23:48:39
Print Post

Could it be my problem that EE have downgraded me from ADSL2 from ADSL 1?
No! Not with the only set of stats you have posted:
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)
Your reduction in sync speed is due to:
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 6.0 dB 14.6 dB
up from the normal 6 or 3 dB. That could easily be worth 3 or 4 Meg of sync.

You need to keeping an eye on those stats; they are needed by us to answer your Qs.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jan-14 23:54:20
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

From the format (with IP redacted) they are all TBB speedtests.

Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Thu 30-Jan-14 00:23:37
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
From the format (with IP redacted) they are all TBB speedtests.
Thanks. After checking what the test does these days, I see the HTTP tests are in fact all perfect.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Jan-14 07:11:08
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

And if tbbx1 is slow then usually contention or small rwin value

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to