User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jinger
(regular) Mon 03-Mar-14 22:58:39
Print Post

Known Orange/EE problem??

[link to this post]

I've just had my SamKnows Monthly Report Card through today and I've noticed that my speed has been dropping significantly between 7pm and 10pm for the last couple of weeks (a drop of about 13mbps). Hubby was complaining about lack of speed at the weekend and I didn't really think anything of it until now.

I've checked my router stats which look ok and haven't changed for over 4 weeks. I did a BT speedtest which reported d/l at 17mbps but when I log into my SamKnows account, it's reporting less than 4mbps at its last speed test which was done about 10 minutes before the BT one. DNS response times are through the roof after 7pm, latency averaging 23.5ms which is higher than usual. My SamKnows speed tests usually are pretty spot on with other speed tests I do.

I rang EE who told me I'm not being capped but there is a known problem that engineers are working on and it's affecting all customers between 6pm and midnight. The technical support in India couldn't/wouldn't tell me what the problem is but it will be fixed as soon as possible. They didn't even ask for my landline number or letters of my password to check! I smell a rather large pile of manure here. Thoughts anyone?

In a world where everything is a copy .... I remain an original
Born free.... Taxed to death!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Mar-14 10:19:12
Print Post

Re: Known Orange/EE problem??

[re: jinger] [link to this post]

Double check with different testers too.

DNS should not adversely affect a speedtest as once running you are not looking up a name all the time, but if a symptom of congestion then it will affect you.

There are some generic BT Wholesale issues affecting various areas and all BT Wholesale based ISPs including packet loss.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to