User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User matthewcanty
(newbie) Sun 25-May-14 13:53:36
Print Post

EE Blocking ports 139, 445 and UDP 137 and 138?

[link to this post]

I've been having a problem connecting to a Samba share on an Amazon EC2 instance. I've really looked hard into every other possibility. I think it HAS to be EE blocking me.

I've already posted a wealth of information on AskUbuntu so apologies for posting a link out but it really says it all.

Question on Ask Ubuntu

Does anyone know of anything like this? Could EE be the cause of this problem.

Many thanks!

Matt
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-May-14 01:56:38
Print Post

Re: EE Blocking ports 139, 445 and UDP 137 and 138?

[re: matthewcanty] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by matthewcanty:
connecting to a Samba share on an Amazon EC2 instance
Is that outgoing ports on the WAN side? Dunno what an Amazon EC2 instance is. The Amazon Cloud?

EE block port 25 SMTP only outgoing for anti-spam reasons.

Ah! Also NETBIOS. That has some connection to Samba, doesn't it?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Mon 26-May-14 05:25:16
Print Post

Re: EE Blocking ports 139, 445 and UDP 137 and 138?

[re: matthewcanty] [link to this post]

Can you telnet to the ports in question?

It wouldn't surprise me if common Windows share ports were blocked by your ISP, historically they were a common virus proliferation route when people started putting non-firewalled PCs online back in the dial-up and early DSL days.

Why the need to use Samba? Reading your AskUbuntu it seems you are using Ubuntu 14.04 on the client, presumably the Amazon instance is also running a linux variant as the topic is about Samba. You'd likely be better off using SSH / SSHFS unless there are Windows clients that need to access the share.

If you go the SSH route it would be wise to run the server SSH daemon on a non-standard port and configure it to use key authenticated login only. It's not hard to setup (as with anything it seems complicated the first time though).

Edited by GeeTee (Mon 26-May-14 05:33:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to