User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User huggons
(learned) Fri 06-Jun-14 22:27:49
Print Post

Bright Box 2 GigE port

[link to this post]

I have a Bright Box 2 router and I am connecting to the GigE port on the rear of the router. I am only receiving a link speed of 100mbps. My network adapter is a Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet, so I believe I should have a link speed of 1000mbps. I spoke to EE tech support, however they could not understand the question and did not know about the GigE port on the rear of the router and even said all the LAN ports on the router are the same speed. They also must have been very tired, as the manager seemed more interested in telling me it was after 03:00 in the morning in India, before cutting me off!

Anyone know why I am only achieving a link speed of 100mbps?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by huggons (Fri 06-Jun-14 23:08:44)

Standard User bet_here
(regular) Sat 07-Jun-14 18:45:55
Print Post

Re: Bright Box 2 GigE port

[re: huggons] [link to this post]

Is it 4-pair cable? (8 wires)
Standard User huggons
(learned) Sat 07-Jun-14 19:17:19
Print Post

[re: bet_here] [link to this post]

It is the one EE supplied. Looking at the clear end of the Ethernet cable, it has 4 wires. EE state to connect to the GigE port to achieve a fast speed and do not say to use another cable than the one that they have provided.

Cheers

Steve

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Sat 07-Jun-14 19:58:13
Print Post

I have just upgraded to EE FTTC, with the supplied Bright Box 2.

To be quite clear, the GIGA Ethernet port is the YELLOW one, nearest the RED Port.

Two cables are supplied-

a) A (BLACK) Cable, which has 4 wires into the wider connectors at each end; and its width is such that it will only fit into that RED Socket and the 4 Yellow Sockets.

Counting from the White/Orange wire in the outermost crimp, Crimps 1, 2. 3 and 6 are used.

Crimps 4, 5, 7 and 8 are not used.

b) A (GRAY) Cable, whixh has 2 wires into each end; is narrower but otherwise fits into the RED, 4 YELLOW an 1 GRAY Socket.

This Gray cable should only be connected to that narrower GRAY Socket, as it is a type of Phone Extension Cable, not an Ethernet Cable.

The two wires use Crimps 3 and 4, with 1 & 2 and 5 & 6 unused.

Assuming you gave the cables correctly connected, it may be that the PC at the other end does not have GIGAbit Ethernet built-in.
Standard User huggons
(learned) Sat 07-Jun-14 20:12:33
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Hi, yes as mentioned, the Ethernet cable (RJ45) is connected into the GigE port. Also my network adapter is a Gigabit Ethernet card.
Standard User Realalemadrid
(newbie) Sat 07-Jun-14 21:30:41
Print Post

You need a 4 pair Ethernet cable for gigabit speeds.
Standard User huggons
(learned) Sat 07-Jun-14 22:26:48
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. Plugged in the Ethernet cable with 8 wires and bingo 1gbps link speed.

Wonder why EE are telling people in the Bright Box 2 instructions, to connect to the GigE port to receive the 1gbps speed, but only then supply an Ethernet cable with 4 wires, which will only achieve 100mbps link speed.

Also wonder why EE support are so, so bad and they come out with such tosh...

1 The Bright Box 2 does not work on ADSL!
2 The Yellow LAN ports on the Bright Box 2 router are all the same speed!
3 The reason I am not receiving a 1gbps link speed is due to the speed of my broadband!

The list goes on and on.

Wake up EE

Edited by huggons (Sat 07-Jun-14 22:51:10)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Jun-14 00:17:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by huggons:
Wake up EE
They've been asleep since at least Orange. EE 1st line Tech. Support are completely ignorant of Broadband technology and can only sprout statements devoid of any evidential or scientific basis (quoted from a letter I once sent them grin).

P.S. Please don't regard this as a cross-post.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Sun 08-Jun-14 07:55:01
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Thanks for that information.

Fortuitously, I had used my existing, in-situ, cable; and it has all 8 wires.

My Ethernet connection is via a Samknows monitor, so I must check further to see if it has any limitations, although an e-mail from Samknows reckoned it would have virtually no effect.

===================

Also, my HP Pavilion Tower has WiFi in it, so I connect both by cabled Ethernet and by 2.4 GHz WiFi, on two centre Channels, so 300 MHz wide.

The PC's single WiFi aerial is sandwiched between its plastic trim front panel and the metal front of the tower box - not the best of locations; and the Bright Box Router very close to it, about 9 inches (23 cms) apart.

The other co-ax outlet on the PC's WiFi sub-assembly is not used; and apparently it should also be capable of working in the 5 GHz band.

The BB2 is definitely radiating in both WiFi Bands, as I have monitored on our (oldest) PC using inSSIDer; and it does have the "5GHz-" prefix.

The BB2 5GHz is on two Channels, 36 and 40.

===========

The HP Tower (64 bit) is supposed to have 5 GHz; but no signs so far.

============

Regarding EE HELP desk, I have very rarely used it, apart from ordering upgrades, so can't comment generally.

However, when I phoned on Wednesday regarding exactly what was involved in the upgrade from ADSL2 to FTTC, as I had had no further contact after ordering the upgrade and receiving the BB" three days later, he was very helpful and knowledgeable, beyond the simple.

Luck!

===================

No changes to my internal phone wiring, which is not of the tidiest, with the BB2 being about 10 Metres from the ancient NTE, with a mixture of fixed and typical phone extensions.

Getting about 36 to 37 Mbps Down, 9 Mbps Up, on a 40/10 Contract.
  Print Thread

Jump to