User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User huggons
(learned) Thu 12-Jun-14 18:19:58
Print Post

Bright Box 2 AC WIFI

[link to this post]

I have set the Bright Box 2 to 5 GHz A+N+AC. When hovering over the wireless network connection icon (bottom left hand corner of screen in windows 7) the network shows as 802.11n. I have a wireless adapter Linksys AC580 (AE6000) with the latest drivers installed. Should it not show as 802.11ac when hovering over the network connection icon?

I did speak to EE, but all he said was are you connected to the internet ok and as I am, he did not see a problem. I did try and explain if I set the router to G, it shows as G and if I set to N , it shows as N and asked if setting to AC show it therefore not show as AC, but he said I was wrong and the network would not show as G, when set to G!.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Jun-14 19:58:43
Print Post

Re: Bright Box 2 AC WIFI

[re: huggons] [link to this post]

You're more likely to get an answer in TBB than EE Community, but perhaps better in General or Home Networking.

I don't know the BB2, so can't help.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 12-Jun-14 19:59:44)

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Jun-14 20:11:54
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I found some info for you on the Bright Box 2 router, it might help you…

http://www.trustedreviews.com/ee-bright-box-2-802-11...

http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/home-broadban...

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative UKDoc
(isp) Fri 13-Jun-14 11:38:58
Print Post

[re: huggons] [link to this post]

Hi,

Windows 7 doesn't know what AC is, so it labels it as N. I have had the same issue, an 867mbps N connection, which isn't possible.

Regards

Gavin

Gavin
EE Broadband

'Here to help'
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User huggons
(learned) Fri 13-Jun-14 17:50:47
Print Post

[re: UKDoc] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies. Makes sense, as receiving 433 Mbps with the 5GHz AC adapter. in Windows 7. Shame Microsoft could not update this to reflect the connect connection status in Windows 7.

Any ideas about Windows 8.1, as it shows as my laptops wifi (not AC just N) shows 802.11a for the 5GHz and 802.11g for 2GHz. The 2 GHz is set to N only in the Bright Box 2 admin pages and the 5GHz is set to A+N+AC
  Print Thread

Jump to