User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Jun-14 19:47:07
Print Post

Are all EE's current routers wall mountable?

[link to this post]

As per title.

Thanks.

plusnet unlimited fibre
Standard User glossywhite
(member) Tue 01-Jul-14 04:52:06
Print Post

Re: Are all EE's current routers wall mountable?

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RiffRaff:
As per title.

Thanks.

With enough Blu Tak or strong glue, you could wall mount almost anything, so yes. If you had long enough, strong enough bolts and thick enough walls, you could wall mount a tractor!

tongue

Edited by glossywhite (Tue 01-Jul-14 04:52:26)

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Jul-14 14:09:04
Print Post

The EE/Orange Bright Box (1) router is NOT made to be mounted on the wall, but you could fit a shelf on the wall and place the router on the shelf. wink

https://broadband.ee.co.uk/bright_box_router?awc=351...

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Tue 01-Jul-14 18:20:37
Print Post

The Bright Box 2 also is not wall-mountable; and is more awkward than the BB 1.

-------------------

The BB1 could have Hook & Loop pads applied to its back main face, that being the opposite face to the one with the ORANGE logo on it.

The various sockets come out on one of the long side faces, whilst the LEDs are on the corresponding opposite long side face.

No shelf needed; and it could be quite tidy, convenient etc.

---------------------------

The BB2 is designed to stand on a surface, similar to a photo display frame, so basically is designed to stand on a shelf or similar.

The LEDs are on the main front face, with the EE icon, rather like such a photograph arrangement.

The sockets (apart from the USB Socket) are not on an edge; but at the foot of the main back face, so the Hook & Loop pads etc would not work, as the plugs and cables force that face to stand clear of a wall etc.

There is a clip-in support, acting again in a photo-frame manner, partly obstructing the cables etc. In fact I have not used it, the cables providing sufficient support.

All four sides are highly bevelled, so do not lend themselves to convenient fixing; and the left-hand side as viewed normally, has the USB Socket.

Basically a very poor physical design, with minimal mounting possibilities; BUT so far, has worked beautifully on the electronics side!

----------------------------------

An enlarged version of the BB1 would have been much more versatile.

The BB1 came through my letter box without problems.

The BB2 and its packing would not come through my letter box.

I suspect that you are unlikely to have a choice, particularly if you are having FTTC installed.

Edited by eckiedoo (Tue 01-Jul-14 18:28:33)

Standard User Mike_Williams
(committed) Wed 02-Jul-14 15:20:15
Print Post

Beware trying to wall mount (any) router as some do tend to get quite hot and may overheat if they do not have enough free space around them.

Regards
Mike Williams

Info :-
Line: Length 250 metres
Modem router: Buffalo wbmr-hp-g300h + LinkSys wg54g both running dd-wrt firmware
IP Profile = Down 19418 kbps Up 1019 kbps

2012: EE WBC 20Mbps Down: 22010 kbps Up: 1019 kbps
2003: Demon ADSLMax 8Mbps Down: 8128 kbps Up: 448 kbps
(member) Wed 02-Jul-14 16:11:15
Print Post

[re: Mike_Williams] [link to this post]

I just wall mounted mine the easy way; peeled off the protective top film, put four large adhesive foam pads on the top of the Bright Box 1, one per corner and pressed it onto the wall. It may not look amazing, but who cares - a router is for routing, it's not a Monet:

View Photo

There's no question that in orienting my router so, the ventilation can only be better than it is when desk standing on the rubber feet, since mounted this way the heat can actually escape and rise upward from ALL vents, whereas on the desk the heat from the bottom vent would just linger between the bottom vent and the desk surface, and not go anywhere in particular.

Edited by glossywhite (Wed 02-Jul-14 16:16:14)

(committed) Wed 02-Jul-14 16:30:12
Print Post

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by glossywhite:
I just wall mounted mine the easy way; peeled off the protective top film, put four large adhesive foam pads on the top of the Bright Box 1, one per corner and pressed it onto the wall. It may not look amazing, but who cares - a router is for routing, it's not a Monet:

View Photo

There's no question that in orienting my router so, the ventilation can only be better than it is when desk standing on the rubber feet, since mounted this way the heat can actually escape and rise upward from ALL vents, whereas on the desk the heat from the bottom vent would just linger between the bottom vent and the desk surface, and not go anywhere in particular.
Didn't think about reverse mounting it to expose the vents as in your picture.
That certainly has more air to "breathe".

Nice one

Regards
Mike Williams

Modem router: Buffalo wbmr-hp-g300h + LinkSys wg54g both running dd-wrt firmware

(member) Wed 02-Jul-14 16:41:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mike_Williams:

View Photo

Nice one

Why thank you, Mike smile

It also has the added benefit of hiding the hideously garish "Orange"/"EE" logo laugh
(committed) Wed 02-Jul-14 17:41:30
Print Post

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

View Photo

Nice one

It also has the added benefit of hiding the hideously garish "Orange"/"EE" logo laugh
I used a piece of black electrical tape smile

Regards
Mike Williams

(member) Wed 02-Jul-14 17:54:35
Print Post

... nested quotes trimmed ...

Nice one

I used a piece of black electrical tape smile

I think I'd rather have had their logo than a patch of tape... haha smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to