User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User michty_me
(regular) Tue 15-Jul-14 08:38:59
Print Post

A friends poor connection - Help

[link to this post]

Good morning, I'm after some assistance in getting a friends internet connection back to something half decent for his location. He is out in the country side. His connection is pretty poor at the best of times and I believe he has ever only had about 2Mb line tops.
I pulled his stats and they are as follows.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hdyD7Qz.png[/IMG]

There connection comes in on a drop wire through the roof. There are no extensions on it, Just the main cable going to another box in his living room with everything connected onto that. Any thoughts on what to advise him on how to improve his connection?

From what I remember, He said both him and his neighbours were experiencing dropped connections quite often.

We tried a quiet line test but to be honest, I can't really remember what the results were after about 8hrs of drinking beer. I can get him to retest though and try anything suggested on here.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Jul-14 09:15:52
Print Post

Re: A friends poor connection - Help

[re: michty_me] [link to this post]

7 - 8 Meg expected.

Has he tried test socket & QLT as I recommended you on previous occasion?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User michty_me
(regular) Tue 15-Jul-14 09:29:20
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
7 - 8 Meg expected.

Hi xrayspex,
Yes we tried that and if I remember right, We could not hear anything specific. We dialled 17070 and got very different options from when I done it on a Sky enabled line.

I could not see a NTE5 master socket. From what I could see was the line came in through the roof and had a very old looking connection box which then had the 'extension' connected directly too it being fed into the living room. He is on holiday all week so I will need to go round and do further digging. I have sent him the Kitz ADSL help guide to go through before I go out to see if he can pin point any wiring issue.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User glossywhite
(member) Tue 15-Jul-14 15:14:33
Print Post

mis-post please delete.

Edited by glossywhite (Tue 15-Jul-14 15:15:09)

Standard User michty_me
(regular) Tue 15-Jul-14 22:30:50
Print Post

7 - 8 Meg expected.

My friend is in his loft at the minute and has found the drop wire connected in terminal blocks. Two wires connect to two cores going one way and the other two go to another two cores going down a different cable. I gather this is maybe just an old connection but did read something about star wiring or whatever?
Standard User michty_me
(member) Wed 06-Aug-14 17:58:12
Print Post

7 - 8 Meg expected.

We are still waiting for the parts he ordered when I started this thread so no further ahead in terms of doing any work or me going round for a look.

Strangely enough his stats have changed from

Down speed: 345kbps, Noise Margin: 10.3dB, Line Attn: 41.5dB
Up Speed: 595kbps, Noise Margin: 14.2dB, Line Attn: 24.4dB

to the following

Down speed: 6482kbps, Noise Margin: 14.4dB, Line Attn: 43.5dB
Up Speed: 1076kbps, Noise Margin: 5.7dB, Line Attn: 23.1dB

He said his internet seems even more unusable now with these stats and actually has to use edge/3G network on his phone as his broadband connection wouldn't even let him Whatsapp the screenshot over to me.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 19:57:28
Print Post

He is now getting almost the expected sync for his line & has moved up to G992.5(ADSL2+).

What are the full router stats now & Time Connected from initial Status page? Need to see how any errors are mounting.

Slow throughput may be due to congestion at exchange. What exchange?

Also run the TBB speedtest and post its link to result.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 06-Aug-14 20:04:22)

Standard User michty_me
(member) Wed 06-Aug-14 20:42:46
Print Post

He is now getting almost the expected sync for his line & has moved up to G992.5(ADSL2+).

What are the full router stats now & Time Connected from initial Status page? Need to see how any errors are mounting.

Slow throughput may be due to congestion at exchange. What exchange?

Also run the TBB speedtest and post its link to result.

Well spotted. Someone else commented on the ADSL2+ on another thread.
I have no idea. It was just a snap from his camera phone sent. I'm hoping that his items arrive this week so I can get over this weekend at some point to get fired into it.

His exchange is NSUDN (Udny)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 20:58:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by michty_me:
Ugh! That could explain everything. That's outside EE's Network Area. They throttle heavily at those and you pay for the privilege frown.

When's his contract end? Best if he migrates to another ISP.

Standard User michty_me
(member) Wed 06-Aug-14 21:08:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by michty_me:
Ugh! That could explain everything. That's outside EE's Network Area. They throttle heavily at those and you pay for the privilege frown.

When's his contract end? Best if he migrates to another ISP.

I heard that they throttle badly but didn't realise it would be that horrific. I'll find out asap. I told him to move from them ages ago. Maybe got a good price for it. I'll get a speed test done too.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to