User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mcoliver88
(newbie) Mon 18-Aug-14 19:42:03
Print Post

Use your own router

[link to this post]

Hi All

I have EE fibre optic broadband, and I am having issues with the BrightBox 2 which keeps dropping signal. I want to use my own router (Netgear r6300) as all LAN ports are Gigabit, but i have no idea what i need to do.

My aim is to use the brightbox as a modem, and using the WAN port on the back, plug my router in and make that my primary router for my home network.

What do i need to do to make this possible.

Thanks for any help

Michael
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Aug-14 23:28:44
Print Post

Re: Use your own router

[re: mcoliver88] [link to this post]

If you have the username and password get an Openreach vdsl2 modem off ebay and use pppoe on the netgear

Kludging the brightbix win't be pretty

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Vincent517
(newbie) Tue 19-Aug-14 04:24:52
Print Post

[re: mcoliver88] [link to this post]

Does your router keep dropping signal from WiFi?
If the answer is yes, why don't you trigger Intelligent wireless from GUI to pick up one clean channel?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Aug-14 10:47:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Kludging the brightbox won't be pretty
Why is BrightBox any more difficult than other routers? You can disable the DHCP and reset its gateway addy.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Aug-14 12:59:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

If the brightbox is handling the VDSL2 modem side then what does turning off DHCP achieve?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Aug-14 13:37:28
Print Post

I thought that was the way to replace the BB2's inbuilt router with an external router as the OP wants, but I could be wrong as I've never done it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Aug-14 13:46:56
Print Post

Turning off DHCP does not disable NAT and turn the Brightbox 2 into a VDSL2 modem.

Not aware of a bridge mode in the brightbox 2

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Aug-14 14:08:03
Print Post

OK, so you can disable NAT on BB2 if that's what's needed.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Aug-14 14:29:06
Print Post

You can?

What does it do in terms of IP addressing then? Bridge the external IP address?

Standard User mcoliver88
(newbie) Thu 21-Aug-14 19:52:40
Print Post

Hi thanks for all your reply, Just looking at the second comment about using a VDSL modem, and then using PPOE. I think this is a good idea, as i dont have to deal with the tangles that a double nat will cause with port forwarding.

I use to have BT infinity several years ago, and i had a VDSL modem which i have kept, but not sure if its VDSL2. Would this make a difference?

Thanks again for your help
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to