User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Axon
(newbie) Sat 11-Oct-14 23:28:13
Print Post

Constant Disconnections and Reduced Broadband

[link to this post]

Hello all!

I am new to these forums and to the technical terms of broadband. I have recently had issues with my EE Brightbox and customer service has provided no help. Both the broadband and internet randomly disconnects every few seconds/minutes and the speed has been greatly reduced to 1 mbps. On some rare occasions the internet will run for an hour before disconnecting. I would greatly appreciate it if someone would break down the information from my ASDL status into simple language for me so I can figure out the problem. Here it is:

Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path

Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)

Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 40 (Kbps.)
Downstream 1198 (Kbps.)

Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 3.7 dB 6.0 dB
Line Attenuation 42.7 dB 77.5 dB

Indicator Name
Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 11.1 dBm 0.0 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction NA NA
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 445 51108
Fast Path CRC Error NA NA
Interleaved Path CRC Error 5 5417
Loss of Signal Defect 75 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR NA NA
Interleaved Path HEC Error 12 2729
Error Seconds 895 13743

Statistics
Received Cells 1252021
Transmitted Cells 300430

A ping test showed me that my ping which has previously been in the 40-50s range is now 178. This issue has now gone on for over a week.

EDIT: Disconnected 4 times before I could post this.

Edited by Axon (Sat 11-Oct-14 23:33:01)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Oct-14 05:36:40
Print Post

Re: Constant Disconnections and Reduced Broadband

[re: Axon] [link to this post]

You have a very long line. Have you tried connecting through hidden test socket?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 12-Oct-14 11:33:16
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Not so sure.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 12-Oct-14 11:37:47
Print Post

[re: Axon] [link to this post]

What speeds did you have previously?
Are you able to make a telephone call over the line?

You said you had higher speeds before, the fact the upstream is JUST 40 Kbps suggests a problem, even if this was a long line the behaviour of the upstream frequencies is that it should hold up to long lines better than the downstream.

The suggestion is that something is connected to the telephone line that needs a microfilter but does not have one, or a microfilter is broken.

Have you got a master socket where you can access the test socket e.g. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/faq/faceplates/...

If so, get a set or readings when using that socket and post them. Also check that everything else that is connected to the telephone line DOES NOT work when using the test socket, (this includes alarms, ringers, sky boxes). If something does work then points to a wiring issue.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Axon
(newbie) Sun 12-Oct-14 12:00:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for the advice. Will try everything out and get back with the results.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Oct-14 12:16:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, that's why I want to compare with the test socket before explaining.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Axon
(newbie) Mon 13-Oct-14 08:52:59
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

*SOLVED*

Hi all!

I tried the telephone connected to the line and found out it wasn't working either. Then I tested the master socket with no luck. I then contacted EE again demanding for them to check the local area connection and they finally found a fault which should be fixed in the next few days,

Thank you very much for all of the advice!
  Print Thread

Jump to