User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shep1968
(newbie) Tue 11-Nov-14 16:53:42
Print Post

ADSL or fibre

[link to this post]

I currently have line rental through BT and internet through EE. The latter costs £7.50 per month on a negotiated deal and I get 16mps speed. I have a brightbox and have various wireless applications running off it. I don't do internet gaming or large 100 mb plus downloads, its mainly internet surfing and emails. Will going to fibre at 38 mbs and over double the cost make an appreciable difference in my surfing speed and will the bright box 2 be better for wireless for amongst other things an apple airport express? I don't and cannot use the master socket in my house to plug my router into and it doesn't make a difference to ADSL. Will it to fibre?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Nov-14 17:46:12
Print Post

Re: ADSL or fibre

[re: shep1968] [link to this post]

If you are getting 16 Meg sync and are only mostly doing browsing and emails Fibre will be a waste of money for you. Only if you might need an upload fater than 1 Meg would it be worth considering Fibre. I'm still on 20 Meg ADSL as fibre will give me nowt but greater expense.

Fibre need to connected to master socket.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker say for your phone no.? Obscure you phone no. & don't bother with all the text below the table.

Please post your full router stats. For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ ADSL Status. Also post 'Time Connected:' from initial Status page.

Also I'd never take the landline from BT as they have an excellent voice fault system the EE cannot ever compare.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Tue 11-Nov-14 18:04:23
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Also I'd never take away? the landline from BT as they have an excellent voice fault system the EE cannot ever compare.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shep1968
(newbie) Tue 11-Nov-14 18:06:28
Print Post

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number on Exchange CODSALL is served by Cabinet 14

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High

Low

High

Low

FTTC Range A (Clean) 69.7 52.6 20 14.9 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 60.2 35 20 10.2 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 13 to 20.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1 13 to 20.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

Broadband Settings
Wireless Settings
USB File Sharing
Mobile Broadband
DHCP
NAT
Firewall
QoS
UPnP
Tools
System
Time Settings
Password Settings
DDNS
ADSL Status
System Log

ADSL Status

This page shows information about your ADSL connection if applicable.
Status

Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Fast Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)

Data Rate Information

Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 1179 (Kbps.)
Downstream 17935 (Kbps.)

Defect/Failure Indication

Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 6.5 dB 6.0 dB
Line Attenuation 11.3 dB 20.5 dB

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 11.9 dBm 0.0 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction NA NA
Fast Path CRC Error 257616 1307
Interleaved Path CRC Error NA NA
Loss of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR 578514 966
Interleaved Path HEC Error NA NA
Error Seconds 49787 911

Statistics

Received Cells 29906974
Transmitted Cells 44370388

Time Connected: 14 days 15:43:48

Think that is everything. As fibre is plug to play now why cant you use it in any socket? What must I do to be able to use the router where I want? Is it easy to move the master socket?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Nov-14 18:29:44
Print Post

As fibre services use higher frequencies the noise and interference issues are very different.

It should work on good twisted pair extension wiring, but can cut back the speed sometimes.

Most people upgrading to FTTC want to squeeze the maximum speed, hence use of master socket.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Nov-14 18:47:07
Print Post

Good stats, slightly slow probably cuz not the main socket. Have you removed ring wire?

They can supply a fibre extension kit of about 30 metres.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User shep1968
(newbie) Tue 11-Nov-14 19:20:33
Print Post

Good stats, slightly slow probably cuz not the main socket. Have you removed ring wire?

They can supply a fibre extension kit of about 30 metres.

I've not done anything to the ring wire, I'm not really sure what it is or how to remove it. I got an electrician to fit the extension socket, its not a diy job. 30 metres would be sufficient but would need to be professionally fitted, again could an electrician do this or would it need to be BT? Would it be that much slower because of the extension? if I went for a 38mps package I would be happy with 35 to keep things the way they are. Or perhaps as you said the ideal is to stick with what I have as for what I need it is just about perfect. I don't need large uploading capabilities but I wish my wifi were better, the airport express keeps cutting out.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Nov-14 19:35:14
Print Post

Removing the Ring Wire

Pointless getting Fibre just to improve the WiFi, which it probably won't. 1 thing has nowt to do with t'other.

All you need do is buy a good ADSL router. Be far cheaper.

Standard User shep1968
(newbie) Wed 12-Nov-14 12:48:04
Print Post

Removing the Ring Wire

Pointless getting Fibre just to improve the WiFi, which it probably won't. 1 thing has nowt to do with t'other.

All you need do is buy a good ADSL router. Be far cheaper.
Thanks for your help on this. My house is 12 years old, would one that old have a ring wire? I must admit I am not confident about taking one out. I'm happy to replace the ADSL router or add a box if this will help the wifi. I have two iphones, a laptop, an ipad and an airport express linked in wirelessly. I live in a modern 4 bedroomed house. what would you recommend and how would I get it to work with my current broadband supplier please?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Nov-14 14:39:38
Print Post

The ASUS & Billion ranges are well thought of.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to